Port of Axe III firmware to Axe II ?

Gregmang

Fractal Fanatic
Havent been online much the last two weeks but was there supposed to be a port of the Ares firmware (or at least portions of it) to the Axe II platform ?

Thx !

Not going to happen. Maybe (Cliff said he has ported some elements) tiny bits of "Ares" will come with a Q10 firmware, but nothing more of the III firmware.

Would kind of defeat the point of buying a III if you could just go and download the Ares firmware to the II for free
You still wouldn’t have the DSP upgrade.

I expect the software improvements to trickle down and run scaled down to the II’s capacity.

You still wouldn’t have the DSP upgrade.

I expect the software improvements to trickle down and run scaled down to the II’s capacity.

I really never maxed out my II as is, so DSP really wasn't a big reason for me to personally to feel I should upgrade to a tune of $2499....

I can only speak for myself but I think the reason a lot of folks have been upgrading is to have the new, and ongoing, improvements in modeling, not so much needing improved hardware or anything. There was zero chance I would of bought a III if I could of known I'd get upgrades on my II still.

Again, I can only speak for myself, but I think a lot of people would feel the same, if Cliff said you can either buy a III for $2499 or download the III firmware to your II for free, there would be a lot less III's sold

I think I wasn't clear in my post. I am on the waitlist for the III (come one 1/29 7PM !!!). However I had thought I saw something about porting some of Ares to the Axe II. Perhaps I was mistaken.

I think I wasn't clear in my post. I am on the waitlist for the III (come one 1/29 7PM !!!). However I had thought I saw something about porting some of Ares to the Axe II. Perhaps I was mistaken.

You're not.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...rmware-for-the-axe-fx-ii.136684/#post-1619350

... so, ya know, "soon"...

I mean, I know subjects are supposed to be brief and all, but I'd say the subject line of "Port of Axe III firmware to Axe II" is leading to the confusion... perhaps, "Port of SOME of Axe III (well, not really Axe III, but ARES modeling) to Axe II? P.S. I'm on the list for an Axe III because I know you can't just put an Axe III into an Axe II with a firmware download... golly this subject has gotten long" might have been more appropriate? :p

Last edited:
There was a lot of discussion over this topic. To sum it all up it's this:
1) Axe 2 will not have Ares. Not enough horse power. However, it's possible that Axe 2 will receive some parts of Ares. Cliff has already ported some of that stuff, but when or whether that will come out is unknown.
2) All dem Axe fx 3 UI bells and whisles are not comming to Axe FX, because it makes no finantial sense to do much work on Axe 2.
3) No one knows what or when or if any updates, Axe 2 will get.

End of story :)
Go play.

I recall it wasn't too long ago Firmware support was gonna end for AxeFxII mkI users due to small flash ram, XL and XL+ users were fine with that.
Hows it hanging XL+? :p

Now if you're made of money you'll likely have an AxeFx III while you patiently wait for the FC6/FC-12 to be released and its price point announced.

Meanwhile my AxeFx II mkI still sounds awesome. I'll go play now.

I just want the amp modeling, have you heard the new tones? The new FX, routing etc is nice, but the new modeling... I mean wow...

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the tri chorus or anything from the Axe 3 software wise, except for amp modelling and them Input/output blocks? :D

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the tri chorus or anything from the Axe 3 software wise, except for amp modelling and them Input/output blocks? :D

No I'm the same, although admittedly I haven't listen to any clips yet, I'm not even really interested in the modeling updates tbh... The 2 already sounds so good it doesn't much matter to me. I'm interested in the extra processor power for preset size and I/o routing for more complex recording or band in a box setups.

That said, I'll certainly look forward to better modeling whether it's through updates to the 2 or upgrade to the 3

Ad far as I can see, FAS is mostly a commercial project. So FAS will port a portion of the ARES to the Axe FX II to push maximum Axe-FX II owners to buy the Axe-FX III, when they hear the sound quality improvement, won't he ? Clever FAS. Money, money, money...
Just kidding...
Cheers

Obviously I’m right there with ya.... those tones...

No I'm the same, although admittedly I haven't listen to any clips yet, I'm not even really interested in the modeling updates tbh... The 2 already sounds so good it doesn't much matter to me. I'm interested in the extra processor power for preset size and I/o routing for more complex recording or band in a box setups.

That said, I'll certainly look forward to better modeling whether it's through updates to the 2 or upgrade to the 3

I wanna say do yourself a favor and listen to the demos and that beyond stellar tone, but better yet maybe do yourself a favor and don’t listen to the demos to hear the beyond stellar tones lol. They are amazing.

Keep in mind Cliff also said in another thread "Some or maybe all could be ported but, to be frank, it's not going to happen. It doesn't make financial sense to undergo a development effort that large on a product that won't be generating any revenue."

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/are-these-axe-2-hardware-limitations.136792/

On the other hand they could offer an Ares port in the shape of a paid upgrade, if its revenue that they wanted to warrant the cost. Not everyone can afford the III in the foreseeable future, and $100 to 200 seems reasonable for an upgrade that will keep your old XL+ a little longer relevant. Will it cost them future sales of the III? Who knows really. The early adopters will still be going for it. And the additional DSP and routing still make it a very interesting product. Man, the DSP...... (drools).

I couldn't care less about the amp modeling. I don't even care about 99% of the amps that are already in my XL+. A Fender for cleans, a Marshall for dirt, that's all I need for amp modeling. Give me more FX! That's all I want. That's the biggest reason I bought the Axe-FX in the first place. So I wouldn't have tap dance pedals any more. Amp modeling? Just an added bonus.

Cliff already addressed paid upgrades, stating that due to piracy it wouldn’t work. Way too many people would be sharing the firmware with their buddies, leaking it, etc, to make it actually worth the time and effort to put the hours into developing it

Back
Top Bottom