Porcupine Tree tones

indigo1

I've been trying to dial in a nice rhythm tone similar to steven wilson and maybe a lead. something similar to blind house, blackest eyes etc. anyone have any ideas of where to start?

I've been trying to dial in a nice rhythm tone similar to steven wilson and maybe a lead. something similar to blind house, blackest eyes etc. anyone have any ideas of where to start?
When 6.0 will be out, I'll tone match some of Wilson sounds, using the high resolution (24 bits/48 khz PCM) version of his albums. I'll start with the acoustic though (the intro of "Trains" etc). For drive sounds Steve uses Black Cat amplifiers and I don't really know which of the Axe II amp models would sounds closer to that.

I'm going to be working on this as well - trying to get some Deadwing, FoaBP and Incident tones.

Also plan to work on some Jim Matheos and Opeth tones.

When 6.0 will be out, I'll tone match some of Wilson sounds, using the high resolution (24 bits/48 khz PCM) version of his albums. I'll start with the acoustic though (the intro of "Trains" etc). For drive sounds Steve uses Black Cat amplifiers and I don't really know which of the Axe II amp models would sounds closer to that.

just curious. how's that possible without isolated guitar tracks ?

Ive had good luck with the Mr Z 38 amp, at least for the deadwing type tones. I haven't done the TM yet with it, but will post the results when I get chance.

Isolated guitar - "Shallow" comes immediately to mind, Trains for acoustic of course. I don't know what it would sound like, but it might be interesting to try the intro to FoaBP which I'm pretty sure is a mix of acoustic/electric. It appears he plays that live by using the piezo blended with electric on the PRS, but I'm not sure. Love that tone though.

id be super keen to hear if someone could match the tone used at the riff that starts 'shallow' - i have always really loved that tone

Here you go, a Shallow TM IR. Used the stock Euro Blue Factory preset with reverb/delay off. Literally took 30 secs.

Attachments

• Shallow TM.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 211
SW uses a badcat 'the lynx' which is a class A high-gainer. There is nothing really like it in the axe fx that I'm aware of. I played one a few years ago. It was one of the best amps I've ever played.

It is nothing like the matchless model in the axe.

Back
Top Bottom