POLL: Which one to choose (tough choice)?

Which one looks cooler?

• RG721RW

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • RG721FM

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
I like how they both look but I've had a rosewood guitar like that before and I got sick of the color in a week. I think the grey one will last longer in that sense with that top and all that. :)

I'm sorry, but are we talking about guitars made in Indonesia for $1000? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Am I the only one who thinks your posts are contributing completely nothing to the subject of this thread? ;)

Probably not. But sometimes it's hard not to ask a question when you see something weird. I mean, there should be a reason to answer something other than "none of the above" to question asked in the OP. I just got curious what it was.

Sorry.

As for the question itself though, I would be cautious about these guitars, and certainly would try them out before buying. Chances are, there won't be much of a choice after you play them.

Last edited:
Well... I could say it's really weird to spend 3 grand on guitar if I could buy a decent one for 1 grand and spend the rest for example on vacations - visiting places I've never been before. It may be difficult to understand for you, but people do have various priorities and not always getting the best guitar money can buy is on top of the list.

In another words - what seems weird to you doesn't have to be weird for other people, so I think it'll be better to stick to the subject without philosophical thoughts :)

Besides - getting an expensive american or japanese made guitar won't make you a better guitarist... I know people using Sterlings made in Indonesia playing far better than many of the american made Musicmans owners ;)

Last edited:
Well, I'm not suggesting that you spend 3K on your guitar. But it's not like this is the only alternative available. I think you can get a new Carvin for 1K. Like this one - http://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/a6 Not a recommendation, just the first thing that came up after a quick search for this price. Or get an awesome used guitar. Or whatever.

Obviously the price of a guitar doesn't make anyone a better player. Yet, its better to play a nice guitar no matter how skillful you are. And the MII Ibanez guitars are, well, not that great, IMO. Even for the price. Which isn't that low.

Anyway. From my experience (limited, I admit) with Ibanez guitars made in Indonesia, I'd say that out of 5 guitars you try one may be good. And that one may not be the color you get from this poll. So I would humbly suggest that you choose yours based on how it plays and sounds rather than on what people here think about the looks. These guitars aren't the same even if they are the same model.

Maybe I just missed something, and something dramatically changed, and these guitars are now awesome, I don't know. But a year or two ago they weren't. I tried to pick an Ibanez for myself, it wasn't that easy.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I'll shut up now.

Obviously the price of a guitar doesn't make anyone a better player. Yet, its better to play a nice guitar no matter how skillful you are. And the MII Ibanez guitars are, well, not that great, IMO. Even for the price. Which isn't that low.
Well... if someone like this gentleman (one of my favourite tutors) in the clip below thinks the indonesian Ibanez is good enough for him for it's price and he can play it the way I could only dream of, it will most certainly be good enough for me ;)

Some people can play a broomstick in a way that sounds like heaven probably. I'm not one of those gifted, so I have to choose my guitars a bit more carefully. Also, I'm not saying they're all bad. I'm saying try before you buy.

For me it's definitely the FM. The RW looks like the faux paneling on the side of a 70's station wagon.

If the RW were more 'plain' I'd say go for that. The fancy binding with the natural wood grain doesn't do it for me. The binding with the FM looks good though. Both are sweet.

I'm for the FM, too. The darker finish keeps the flame looking respectable and not photo-finish-like. Reminds me of the flames on my old Prestige 3120's.

I had an RG950 that I picked up well below retail (and sold for darn near the same price). That thing was actually pretty nice. The best part about it was the frets. I still haven't played a guitar under 1k with frets that nice. There were a couple of minor aesthetic issues but what would you expect? David Walliman plays one too. They've definitely got something going for them. In the end for me, I just don't like locking trems. Too lazy for that. Oh, the FM looks way more modern, and therefore awesomer. Dat grey flame...

Short answer
NONE
I wouldn't get a Premium
I'd get a PRESTIGE or a late 90's/early 2000's MIJ Ibanez

If I have to choose get the RG721RW

WHY!?
Because the maple top on the FM is so thin- they chip easily and can look like shit easily if they get dinged up the wrong way
(although a FM Prestige is WORSE- It was impossible to find an RG3120TW not chipped up and destroyed- and my 350QM is fine- but i've seen guitars for sale on the used market that got beat up pretty easily and the maple is thin'

ALSO
those guitars don't have floyd roses- so you can pickup a hard tail prestige for like $300- easily

If it was me, I'd get both. I was in the same dilemma and ended up getting an Ibanez S521 LVS, RG421PB NTF, RG421PB CNF and a RG7421PB SBF but I got them all on sale for around $1200

Short answer
NONE
I wouldn't get a Premium
I'd get a PRESTIGE or a late 90's/early 2000's MIJ Ibanez

If I have to choose get the RG721RW

WHY!?
Because the maple top on the FM is so thin- they chip easily and can look like shit easily if they get dinged up the wrong way
(although a FM Prestige is WORSE- It was impossible to find an RG3120TW not chipped up and destroyed- and my 350QM is fine- but i've seen guitars for sale on the used market that got beat up pretty easily and the maple is thin'

ALSO
those guitars don't have floyd roses- so you can pickup a hard tail prestige for like $300- easily

True, but chances are the rosewood veneer is equally thin and maybe even thinner. Many rosewood varieties are endangered and protected these days. Maple is quite plentiful by comparison. Veneers are becoming pretty standard these days on production guitars. Wood supplies are shrinking fast, especially rain forest and old growth woods.

Thankfully the risk of chipping the finish doesn't concern me too much. I'm playing at home just for pure fun (alone or occasionally jamming with my friend), not gigging or rehearsing at all. My 4 year old strat looks like brand new, it doesn't have even tiniest scratches at the back because I play sitting.

I love the continuity of color for the first one. Has a similar vibe to the Guthrie Govan guitars (that's not a bad thing). They're both beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom