Votes: 27 39.7%
  • FM9 Turbo

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Neither, buy a new guitar instead!

Votes: 17 25.0%

• Total voters

WillieD

Inspired
Just curious what other folks have done or would do in this situation. I have an FM3 (non turbo) which I use and will continue to use for gigging. I’d like to have a second unit dedicated for home use and also serve as a backup in the unlikely event I ever need it. Options are FM3 turbo or FM9 turbo. I don’t need the III as that is way more than I’d ever utilize. Honestly the FM9 is probably more than I need but could be nice to have the extra CPU and switches, just for fun. What say you Fractalverse?

Playing devil's advocate here. This is just my opinion.
If you fully intend on keeping the FM3 for gig use then I would get another FM3. End of story.
If you get an AX3 or an FM9, you may enter the game of using more advanced features that aren't on the FM3 and may potentially create a problem for yourself if you want to replicate presets.
If you want the features of an FM9 and are okay with the idea of gigging with it then I would dump the FM3 and just use an FM9. This creates a problem of only having one device though which is kind of pointless considering your post. If you truly want a backup device then I would just get another FM3.
That's just me. I hate tracking multiple device chains. I've had an FM3, an FM9 and now an AX3. I don't want to spend my time manipulating the same presets cross platform especially if tweaks are always under way. As an example Cliff has been working on further perfecting some amps on the AXE3 that are not yet trickled down to the 9 or 3

Last edited by a moderator:
FM3 is very portable so I keep it at home and bring it with me to rehersal. If you can afford a duplicate setup...good for you. Personally I would just get something cheaper as a backup, a used helix stomp or the new boss ir2 maybe, since it primarily would be sitting on a shelf :p

I am fortunate to own an FM9 and FM3. I gig with the 9 and practice at home with the 3. If I need a backup, I carry the 3 and it is a perfect backup. I do more experimenting with the 3 and if I like what I hear I duplicate to the 9. This situation in my eye view is the best combination. Two FM3's would be great also. I would trust one if that was my only option. Fractal is some good quality stuff.

I use an FM3 for live gigs and I have the AXE FX III at home.
I dig trying out all the latest feature on the Big Boy, seeing whats in store for little bro.
I'd do that if I were you....I have a Zoom pedal in my gig bag for backup...never needed it in years and don't think I will

I have exactly two similar FM3s: One at home and one at the rehearsal room. Then I don't need to bring it with me :) I simply take a backup of the unit at home/rehearsal and share on Google Drive/Dropbox and restore it at the other location. And I intentionally have similar units in order to have the setup be compatible :)

It's a good question.

I prefer taking my FM9 out, but not because it's got more-better CPU power than the FM3, or because of the extra switches, because I use the FM3+FC6, but because it's on my pedalboard which makes it be a bit more armored.

If it wasn't, and the FM3+FC6 were on the board then I'd probably grab that combo first or more often. I use the same presets on both modelers because I don't want to maintain multiple presets.

As it is, I think it's smart to have a spare; Consider the situation where you want to travel light, it's a lot easier to pack an FM3 than an FM9. The FM3+FC6 bag is SO portable I take it when we travel, and I'd use it if I was flying. Having it available as a backup is perfect for me.

So, my recommendation is get an FM9 as your primary unit, get a great bag or case for it to protect it, do whatever else you need to armor it, and then have a nice portable case or bag for the FM3+FC6 as a backup, and use the FM3+FC6 at home or those times you have to move fast.

I'm a long time FM3 user and now saving up for an Axe3 (again!). The only reason being that I'm looping more and my loop system is a rack mounted Electrix Repeater, so I figure why not incorporate everything to the rack if I have to use it anyway. The extra FX loops will be super useful as well. If that wasn't my plan, I'd get a 2nd fm3. Current backup is toneX and I have never had to use it.

I’ve got an FM9T/FC6 rig, and have used various things for a backup. It’s not that FAS gear is failure prone, but that anything can fail/get zapped/get stolen/etc. I finally just acknowledged that nothing but an FM9T can completely back up that unit, even a III because if my first rig fries or flies I’m going to need a foot controller too. So, I traded some gear for another FM9T this week. It ends the “how would I approximate this function” sort of thing I had with other backups.

So, yeah, I think you need the same or better, and why not the 9 if you’re able, right?

I don't even gig (home player only). FM9 in the family room and FM3/FC6 in the basement (I'm too lazy to carry one unit up and down the stairs) and a H&K Tubemeister + Mesa 1x12 cab in the living room. Guitars all over the house and at the office - you never know when I might feel inspired to "play"/practice. Honestly the FM9 has been overkill for any signal chain I have created but leaves more room to have fun.

Back
Top Bottom