Poll results of feature requests

Recently I posted a poll in a fb user group with over 25k users. I pre-seeded the poll with feature requests and also allowed users to add their own as well as vote for multiple.

The four I started with were:
Tempo added to fc set lists/songs
Metronome block
More amps
More cabs

By far the most requested feature wasn’t axe fx iii related - as the fm9 and fm3 users are waiting for gapless switching.

Here are the results that apply to axe fx iii, in order by number of requests:
  • more amps
  • tempo in set lists (note this was a very close 2nd)
  • a utility to auto level scenes and/or presets
  • metronome block (distant 4th)
Those are so far the top four. Note that there were about 30 options added after the initial four.
I think the outcome is predictable. Since the axe 2 so many amp models heve been added. Even if Cliff added 50 more tomorrow the outcome of a new poll would be the same. He adds a new amp, everybody on the forum goes bananas (me included) a week later..all is quiet. New amp or pedal is added, history repeats itself. I myself am more than happy with the axe as it is. Stll, I check the forum and every time hope we have an update and it is Christmas again.gas gas gas..

We have soooo much already, anything I'd wish for now would just be decadence and personal bucket list shit. @Dave Merrill has detailed some great functionality ideas and I'd love to see those implemented at some point. I think the AxeEdit graphic upgrades would be nice, but not priority. (it'd be awesome if Fryette would release a few schematics....PittBull Ultra-Lead Hundred, a few others, I'd bet Cliff would model 'em for us). The constant improvements and additions Cliff churns out on the reg is plenty enough for me and then some, but I get it, we all have different needs and wants.

Bottom line for me is the AxeFx III in it's current iteration is a massive collection of true-to-life mostly boutique and classic (ie timeless) gear that more than satisfies every GAS symptom I have. In 45 years of playing and 30+ gigging/recording, I have never felt so complete in the gear dept....and I felt like I had it all before Fractal entered my life.

What is the benefit of the metronome block? Different tempos? Or different volume? If it is for the tempo, one may change this in one of the 4 channels of the "Control" block hidden under the "Controllers" menu.
So I went home for lunch and explored this a bit. This definitely helps, at least it gives me the ability to pull up 4 different tempos per preset. I set a switch in my fx layout to increment that block and wrap, and I set some standard tempos, ie. 89, 100, 120, 128 I think. As long as I'm not using a preset for more than 4 songs where the tempo matters, this definitely helps, but still doesn't really get me to where I'd like. Because I have to pull up the preset and then navigate to the correct controller block. It's something, at least.

You’re totally right. But at the same time, whenever a new amp model is introduced or we get an update to an existing model, it’s super exciting. Even in light of all we have, it’s addicting and we’re spoiled.

Sure, everybody likes to try out new tones. It can be fun and inspiring. But you don’t need new amp models to do that…presets are probably a better way to give people new tones to explore. There’s been more excitement surrounding GOT presets in the past couple of years than new amp models.

At this point there are many many many wishes that have received widespread support on the forum which would be important new AxeFX features and would be more useful than new amp models.

I just want the AXE EDIT program graphics massively upgraded. Axe Edit rocks, but i think its time to have the graphics hugely upgraded. The resolution upgraded. The dials looking more 3D, standing up like real knobs, the drive, amps, cab, blocks having the graphics completely over hauled. Again, axe edit rocks, but i think a lot of users would love for the look of it to be upgraded. NOT changed how it works, its layout, but refined graphically.
Nothing personal, but #doNotCare.

Don't even use AxeEdit that much, and when I do, what it looks like doesn't matter to me, like, at all, beyond what makes the UI clear and functional.

Sure, everybody likes to try out new tones. It can be fun and inspiring. But you don’t need new amp models to do that…presets are probably a better way to give people new tones to explore. There’s been more excitement surrounding GOT presets in the past couple of years than new amp models.

At this point there are many many many wishes that have received widespread support on the forum which would be important new AxeFX features and would be more useful than new amp models.
I think it’s psychological, like “holy shit, I now own another legendary $3500 amp and I didn’t even pay for it”. The perceived value of the unit increases with every added model/effect/cab. But you make a good point, we probably have all we need and should focus more on tweaking what we already have.

Last edited:
I think it’s psychological, like “holy shit, I now own another legendary $3500 amp and I didn’t even pay for it”. The perceived value of the unit increases with every added model/effect/cab. But you make a good point, we probably have all we need and should focus more on tweaking what we already have.
I tend to perceive the value more in what I use vs what is available in the unit. More specifically, what I can fit into my live kitchen sink preset. Amps I used to use and removed from my live preset feel like amps I sold. Other amps feel like amps on the floor room of the store, some of which I have tried, and others I haven’t. Of course, being able to trade all that gear for free and with zero work is a huge plus.

#guilty
There are differences, but fairly subtle.

Basically, it comes down to the amp circuitry's ability to get at the sound in my head that I am wanting to hear....
Maybe it's just me, but when I'm trying to get a sound that I hear in my head (or hear in a recording I'm trying to emulate), I hear Fender-ish, Vox-ish, Marshall-ish, and Mesa-ish tones. We already have many multiples of each of those four basic amp types. The circuitry that gets me to one of those tones is the farthest thing from my mind. But then again, I don't know any of the nuances of amp circuit design like some guys here do.

As I said over there regarding the "more amps" request, if someone can't get the sound they're after with what's already in the box, there's probably no hope for them in the first place.
This is an assumption.

There are amps I really like not in the Fractal yet.
I want them in the unit because I like Fractal.

Literally has nothing to do with being able to find similar amps already there.

So I went home for lunch and explored this a bit. This definitely helps, at least it gives me the ability to pull up 4 different tempos per preset. I set a switch in my fx layout to increment that block and wrap, and I set some standard tempos, ie. 89, 100, 120, 128 I think. As long as I'm not using a preset for more than 4 songs where the tempo matters, this definitely helps, but still doesn't really get me to where I'd like. Because I have to pull up the preset and then navigate to the correct controller block. It's something, at least.
But would a dedicated block with 4 channels help then? Sounds more like you need a way to switch through N-tempo settings.

What is the benefit of the metronome block? Different tempos? Or different volume? If it is for the tempo, one may change this in one of the 4 channels of the "Control" block hidden under the "Controllers" menu.

Update. Maybe a bug? Checking here first. One of the purposes I had in mind for different tempos within a preset was not so much to hear the metronome but for my tempo based delays to be affected without having to tap them in. I find that in a given preset, the delay tempo starts with the tempo saved in the preset, but then if I use controller channels to change the tempo, the metronome changes but the delay time does not change with the tempo. If I tap in a different tempo, the delay time changes, but not if I simply change the controller channel. Is this intended? Am I missing something or is there a workaround, or is this a bug?

I just want the AXE EDIT program graphics massively upgraded. Axe Edit rocks, but i think its time to have the graphics hugely upgraded. The resolution upgraded. The dials looking more 3D, standing up like real knobs, the drive, amps, cab, blocks having the graphics completely over hauled. Again, axe edit rocks, but i think a lot of users would love for the look of it to be upgraded. NOT changed how it works, its layout, but refined graphically.
Right... So basically a completely non-functional update.

I vote no, but you're entitled to your own wishes.

I'd settle for a doubling of the User Preset spaces and User Cab 3&4...maybe 5. I'm not programmer so I'm not sure why if you have room for more amps/effects, etc. then why you can't add more to those sections too. OR, just have these people quit writing such good presets and cab packs...."yeah, just one more little taste, I swear this will be my last, I can quit anytime...":rolleyes:

This is an assumption.

There are amps I really like not in the Fractal yet.
I want them in the unit because I like Fractal.

Literally has nothing to do with being able to find similar amps already there.
So if you could get all those sounds from an existing amp model, why do you feel you need an amp model that says "this is the model of my favorite amp"?

The last tube amps I had were the Bogner Goldfinger 45 SL (Fender meets Marshall) and Victory VC35 (modern Vox AC30). Both great amps in their own right, but I don't feel I need them because I can get those same sounds out of a Fender Super Reverb, various Marshall models and the Victory is very close to the Morgan AC-20 Deluxe 12AX7 models.

Is this just a difference in how we look at things? For you the specific amp is more important whereas for me the only thing that matters is the sound I'm getting?

This argument that you can do a model, tweaking what you already have in the unit, is always an answer but it don’t work like that.

If you don’t know the amp, if you don’t own it, you cannot replicate it you know 🤷.

Someone can be hyped to have a… don’t know … a peavey invective for example. So if the guy is not a amp tech, or don’t have good ears or this or that, how will he do it?

And also why did we have all these Marshalls and fenders if they are all the same amp with some tweak? So Cliff add a new jcm800 recently… it was useless so?

I think that the amp in the unit are based of what Cliff want, and the most asked. And also the one that have a wiring diagram, and are easy to find etc .

I’m not complaining hm. Sure we have enough amps. Just that these answers everytime are …

Back
Top Bottom