POLL for Week 2 of AOTW

Which High Gain Amp do you choose to be Week 2's AOTW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
OK, in order to keep things fair, lets alternate between high gain and low gainers each week.

I've picked three well know models, all we need is a vote.

EURO UBER (based on Bogner Uberschall)
PVH 6160 BLOCK (based on Peavey EVH 5150)
RECTO1 ORG MDRN (based on Mesa Dual Rectifier)

Let the voting commence!

which uberschall is in the axe?
i would like some tips and tricks for the uber as that is the one i cannot dial in very well, probably because i own one.

I want a PVH 6160 preset that cleans up like Drew's sound from Karnivool. It's pretty easy to get close enough with the dirty sound but I think nigh on impossible to match the cleaner tones they pull by backing off the guitar's volume.

e.g. The start of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39C95xCldec&feature=youtu.be&t=1m0s

(PS I've spent far too long trying to work out the palm muted notes at 3:24... like hours and hours... and I'm still not sure. I sounds like F#->E->F# with maybe the 5th thrown in but it doesn't mesh with the fingerings that I see him play)

Last edited:
I want a PVH 6160 preset that cleans up like Drew's sound from Karnivool. It's pretty easy to get close enough with the dirty sound but I think nigh on impossible to match the cleaner tones they pull by backing off the guitar's volume.

(PS I've spent far too long trying to work out the palm muted notes at 3:24... like hours and hours... and I'm still not sure. I sounds like F#->E->F# with maybe the 5th thrown in but it doesn't mesh with the fingerings that I see him play)
Nice. Good to see some bands actually compose music nowadays. Apart from just thinking up four chords and bashing them the whole song.

First of all the intro is not that clean and the rest is not that much overdriven. It would seem quite doable. Also they're using effects quite a lot, he could have just stomped on something.

Can't really make out which player is playing what. It would seem that the thinner sound is the guy on the left, but at 2:27 it sounds like they're both playing the same lick after eachother, but the other guy doesn't look like he's playing at all. Maybe the left guy is playing the thicker sound with a louder delay? Entirely possible that the palm muted notes at 3:24 are actually played by the other guy.

Just from looking at this video of course. Never heard of this band before.

I was going to vote recto but since getting the axefxII the euro has become one of my favorite guitar sounds ever! So I vote Euro

I voted Recto Org Mdrn because it really nails that wacky channel cloning thing . I never understood how you could be vintage and modern at the same time, sorta like an art deco
i-phone. Close second would be Euro Uber - I just love that amp model, plus I like saying
" Uburschall " in fake German accent - UBERSCHALL -

AOTW needs its own sub forum, IMHO. If that's not going to happen, at least do something sensible with the posts, like starting every subject line consistently, i.e.:

[AOTW] Week 2 Poll: Model Choice
[AOTW] Week 2 Model (whatever Model # it is on the Axe): Bomber Uber

This way a year+ later when you are 60 models in it is not a flipping mess to find old goodies.

I believe one of them plays in some odd open B-like tuning. I seem to recall B F# B F# B E, but I might be fully wrong of course. :)

Very cool idea. My suggestions for amp of the week threads:
- IMO, no need for own subforum. Instead, we could crosslink the threads and the "Amp: all models" wiki page. (wiki'd link to the '59 aotw thread.)
- Also, no need to copy-paste the info from the wiki if the link to the wiki would be provided at the beginning of each thread. Think it this way: If the info on the wiki is later updated, the info on the thread is not the same anymore.

Because there are lot of amp models to cover, why not have a "high gain amp of the week" and a "low gain amp of the week" threads each week?

I believe one of them plays in some odd open B-like tuning. I seem to recall B F# B F# B E, but I might be fully wrong of course. :)

From what I've heard most of Sound Awake (the album New Day is from) was done in B F# B G B E. So that was my starting point. To be honest when I was learning it I actually just re-wrote the parts to work with standard tuning because I didn't have the right strings and couldn't be bothered restringing/retuning every couple of days. However yesterday I ordered some EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottom for my PRS.

The new album is pretty much a different tuning for every song:
KarnivoolTunings.png

Voted (for the underdog, it turns out), but a process question: where do Plexi-types fit in the high/lo gain paradigm?

Plexi's..... Hmmmm I would ℅ sider them as a medium gain amp, personally. They're not balls to the wall gain monsters like some, but they are very crunchy when cranked.

Back
Top Bottom