Poll: Axe-fx II vs Empress Compressor shootout (clip included)

Which is better?

• Clip 1

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • Clip 2

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

james...

Experienced
One of the first things I wanted to do when I received my Axe-fx was to try and see if I could "clone" or even dial in a better "always on compressor" than my trusty Empress.

A quick word on the Empress. It's a great compressor. Easily the best pedal comp I've ever had. It will pretty much do anything from super transparent compression to extreme chicken pickin stuff. I am a humbucker player so I don't really need a heavy handed compressor. I typically set mine on a comfortable medium setting. For kicks, here are my typical Empress settings. They sound good with just about everything:

Ratio: 4:1
Input: 11 oc
attack: 10 oc
release: 11:30 oc
mix: 2:30 oc
output: 10:30 oc

I will reveal the Axe-fx settings later. But I will say that I dialed in the studio compressor to sound as close to the Empress as possible. To be honest, I could only get 90% of the way there. The good news is, I think they both sound great. But What I really want to do is let you all decide. There are two short clips with roughly the same riffing being done. You guys tell me which one you prefer.

FWIW, the amp was a JCM800 set for mid-high gain with the Mills 4x12 cab sm57 miced. Nothing special. I made the patch from scratch in 2 minutes.

Last edited:
URL is not correct

EDIT: now it is (fixed the Soundcloud tags for you).

Last edited:
If anyone can tell me how to embed the soundcloud file I will, but as of now it only lets me post the link.

I prefer the second clip. A little throatier but that's just my preference. Both sound very good nonetheless.

Very hard to choose, both sound awesome. I'll vote for #2.

I'd love these settings, major compressor geek here but without the skills to do what you did. And I don't have an Empress...I do have a CMAT Mods Deluxe Signa Comp, which is the best I ever owned (it resides on my backup Ethos board setup). I am committed to using the Axe-Fx II alone and am still feeling my way.

Great stuff! Thanks for taking the time.

Greg

I never used the empress, aside from their trem pedal, but I had the 2 and 4 knob keeley comps and the axe can get both of their sounds just as easily!

Interesting results. I'm gonna let the poll go for a day or so more. Make you guys sweat a bit.

I will post the Axe-fx settings and some further comments after the reveal.

No preference. They are a little different but I can't say I liked one over the other.
I'm inclined to agree Java. When I was A/Bing them before I posted this clip, I really felt like they were scary similar and both had their own redeeming qualities.

For what its worth, the main difference I've been hearing is bass response, which can be easily dialed (in or out) in the Axe itself. The same can't be said for the Empress I suppose. I'll elaborate about this further after the reveal.

Really liked these clips! Will you upload the patch to AxeChange?

I've never been a compressor guy, but it makes me want to look into them more closely.

Both sound great to me. I can't decide. Curious to see which is what. I own that compressor as well but don't use the analog rig much at all so never thought to match it.

Really liked these clips! Will you upload the patch to AxeChange?

I've never been a compressor guy, but it makes me want to look into them more closely.
I used to be a "why do I need a compressor" guy. But the thing is, when I turned the compressor(s) on in the patch I recorded with, it just sounded plain better than when they were off. Everything is just fuller and more consistent sounding. A well dialed in transparent comp is something a lot of players don't know they need until they hear it.

Back
Top Bottom