Poll : Are you on Win or Mac ?

What is your Operating System ?

• Total voters
The only advantage I see of Mac over Windows, other than a few arbitrary preference in the UI, is the stability of the OS. It's so stable that i haven't used an anti virus for 12 years. Anyone who has frequent system crashes has problem done something to system files, has a Ram module fail or installed Mac Keepr/CCleaner etc.

I agree,
Please don't turn this topic in platform war, it was for statistics purpose...
I'm somewhat surprised by the result, let's see if the tendency confirms...

Design, ease of use, stability....Mac.
Maximum achieveable Power without the use of selling your house for: Win.

Just compare the Most expensive new Powermac to the X3-PC-System....half the Price, twice the power. 1:0 for the PC.
I love the design of the apple's, and so many innovative features got implemented into the PC's in the Last years that were originally used on macs, but I can't stand their price politics.

I'm Not a "Computer-Nerd", I just want to use them for work (grafic design and signmaking) and for music as TOOLS, Not as sculptures. In certain situations windows can really make you mad....(Never had an issue with my 6-Core, 32 Gb DDR-RAM 3, SSD-stuffed Music PC, only with my Office-PC) but Those are just tools. Power is everything, Image not.

I've been programming and using the Mac since the pre-OS-X days. I vastly prefer it to Windows, but for ephemeral reasons; the interaction with the UI just feels smoother, more organically integrated, and less clunky. That said, I do wish Apple would stop dumbing down the OS by removing features. If people are too stupid to figure out how to use a computer, they shouldn't be using one, period. There's also been a worrisome trend lately of sacrificing usability for appearance consistency. They definitely need to replace the "yes men" on their team with people who can honestly tell them when they are wrong.

I do occasionally boot into Windows (7), but only for games or to quickly use some Windows-only tool (e.g. Voxengo).

I've always been a Windows user. I like their games better, and it seemed early on that more software was being
written for Windows than for the Mac. On the minus side was the constant upgrading costs from the XT thru the Pentiums
and onward, ad nauseam. Lord only knows the money I wasted on those friggin things.

Just bought a 27" iMac BUT put windows 8.1 on the other side of my 3tb hybrid drive. Best of both worlds if you ask me.The whole mac bashing thing is getting really old, but is human nature i guess.

I also like Coke better.

I never play games, so there's that too. I'm sure if I were a gamer I'd be frustrated with the smaller number of games on the Mac side.

I bought my first apple in 1984, a Mac. I did ALL of my creative work on it for years. Now I am mostly Win, because I use Samplitude as my DAW. In addition, both with FAS and with Liquid Foot, I've found drivers, programs etc. to seem more stable and reliable on the PC (a surprise). I used to use Logic, which I detested, and before that, Performer, which I liked early versions of, but then came to dislike. My change in DAWs drove my change to PC, and now that Photoshop, After effects etc. also run on Win, it makes more sense for me to have one quiet, very powerful machine on which to do all of my audiovisual work. But I still said I use 'em both because I take my Macbook AIR with me with my rack etc. to gigs for Axe-Edit and the Liquid Foot LF+ editor.

Irregardless of Mac vs PC, there are a lot of Mac users out there, especially in music & arts. I have been on Mac since '98 & have no interest in changing. I really hope you do port over your auditioning tool to the Mac & would be glad to donate via PayPal to help make that happen.

Cubase 1.0, Apple Macintosh or Atari. Apple cost more with 12 inch screen than Atari with 14 inch. First computer, why Apple!? Ok it was some Apple hype but Atari was good.

What I did like was unix/linux environment, but since I don't work with computers anymore and more music software is availble on the windos platform I use Win 7.

I guess I could get used to the Mac-world but the few times I tried it felt a bit arkward. I also get this closed environment feeling. You are in the Apple world and got to live in their eco-system for good and for bad. I miss the openness, the open standards and all I politically try to stand by.

Am I the only one that have built myself a Hackintosh (just google it up)?
I was so fed up with windows because of these main issues:
1) DAWs needed to be restarted when connecting/disconnecting MIDI devices. DAWs didn´t see changes in configuration if they already was started.
2) It was always a struggle to get sound from DAW, Spotify, Browsers simultaneously. Sample speed needed to be the same in all SW using sound.
3) Boot time....... my mackintosh boots in a couple of seconds, and no sluggishness the first following minutes after boot.
4) OS stability.
5) SW - Logic X
6) SW - MainStage 3
7) SW - Garage band
8) Stream sound or complete DAW to projector or TV via appleTV in just a few seconds.

A Hackintosh is a ordinary PC, but with a simple boot loader you can run Maverick directly to the hardware, no SW platform in between. There is no difference between
the PC and a MAC PRO except price. I built a really,really strong PC for approx 1000USD (in sweden), it´s probably much cheaper in USA.
You buy software from App Store as if you have an original Mac. Apple doesn´t bother since they can sell
software also to Hackintosh users.

I'm definitely not one of those hardcore jerk Mac users who spouts flamebait about PCs and tell PC users that they suck and whatnot. I was a pretty hardcore PC guy for years and years and would ridicule Macs as overpriced fashion items. But now I realize that Macs are great machines and there are also awesome PCs. You probably have more choices at the extreme low end in the PC market vs. Mac. The lowest end Macbook Air is around a grand USD. You can certainly get Acer, Dell, Gateway (if they're still around) PCs around the $300 range. There's the whole discussion of build quality and specs that differ, but I think a couple of things I see going for Mac is that you get access to Logic X, an absolutely *killer* DAW for only 200 USD. That's a great deal in and of itself. Also, the gesture-based nature of OS X makes it a very elegant and usable OS for me. Windows 8? There've been a ton of things said about the schizophrenic nature of its UI (thought to be fair, a few free or cheap programs will bring back the start menu and minimize Metro annoyances). Plus, with a Mac you don't have to leave the Windows world. I work off of a Macbook Pro Retina 15" and I run Windows 8.1 in Parallels at work. For personal computing, I use OS X. Its nice to have the best of both worlds.

As a software developer, one advantage Macs may have is that there are just fewer of them in the marketplace. Hardware and software vendors know the exact specs of each Mac, the chipsets used, GPU, audio chipset, specs of the USB, Thunderbolt, Firewire ports, whatever. Its easier for them to test solidly and ensure Mac compatibility versus the millions of different hardware combinations available in the PC world. That said, if you love to build your own machines and upgrade them (as I've done many times in the past), those millions of different combinations on the PC world are a distinct advantage!

In the end, its all good whatever you choose!

Last edited:
mac since 2007 (intel chip), never looked back.

i was the only mac user at my previous job, the rest PCs with XP - 7, and my productivity was through the roof compared to others simply because i wasn't troubleshooting my computer daily. actually... *I* was troubleshooting THEIR computers daily haha.

regardless, do what works for you of course. all computers can have problems. i've personally had significantly less with macs.

Back
Top Bottom