Poll: Ability to assign categories to the presets

Would being able to sort patches into categories be helpful?

• Total voters

claudel

Experienced
Found this one in the Master list and don't recall seeing any discussion

Ability to assign categories to the presets (for faster tone selection)

This would help keep track of the vast quantity of presets.

I'm not sure if it could/should be implemented in the Axe firmware, editor, or both.

Clean

Warm

Crunchy

Swirly

Weirdos

User definable category(ies)?

By effect?

Being able to sort presets by category via the editor or via a built-in Axe function would be icing on this particular cake.

Thoughts?

javajunkie said:
I would rather the memory be used for other things.

Yeah, but it could probably be done using only a few bits per patch in Axe storage if the heavy lifting was done in the editor.

This is almost vaguely related to having set/song/patch capability in a foot controller.

claudel said:
javajunkie said:

Yeah, but it could probably be done using only a few bits per patch in Axe storage if the heavy lifting was done in the editor.

This is almost vaguely related to having set/song/patch capability in a foot controller.

few bits/preset plus the table organize and store it.

javajunkie said:
claudel said:
javajunkie said:

The storing/organizing doesn't need to happen in the Axe.

That could happen in the editor before the bank save...

claudel said:
javajunkie said:
javajunkie said:

Actually, if it happens in the editor, would anything need to be stored in the axe-fx?

javajunkie said:
claudel said:
javajunkie said:

Actually, if it happens in the editor, would anything need to be stored in the axe-fx?

Probably not...

Maybe a few bits to store the categorization for the preset.

I think it could be very useful in the editor. I suppose some people will already have a clever naming scheme that accomplishes more or less the same thing*, but I don't know how well the editor handles searches.

I don't know how much of a pain it would be to add to the Axe itself. Some of my synths have the ability to cycle through categories, which can be useful when you're hunting for a particular type of sound, but synths tend to use a lot more presets than the typical guitarist.

* I know godprobe has a crazy involved one, but I don't think his incorporates categories.

What about an export-to-excel function?

I made a super simple version. I haven't listened to presets since the 3.xx days.
I went through all the 6.02 presets a few days back and made a master list of favorites and threw it into a spreadsheet. Just a simple column format with preset # under the category, amp type under amp, FX type under FX type.

LEAD | LD AMP | CRUNCH | CR AMP | CLEAN | CL AMP | EFFECT | FX TYPE

I can sort by amp type and effects type. Kinda oversimplified, but it works. I replaced a couple of my own amp/cab blocks with some preset blocks and tweaked them a little. The editor works fantastic for this.

What would be great would be an export utility that exports all data into a spreadsheet. The data could get huge for complex FX laden presets, so the option of filtering would be handy.

This would give users a chance to "break apart" an entire preset and see as many settings as they want on presets without having to drill down into the axe-fx interface or the editor interface....it's WAY too cumbersome to do that now and an export-2-xcel function would be very handy. Might be worth dedicating a thread to it.

solo-act said:
What about an export-to-excel function?

I made a super simple version. I haven't listened to presets since the 3.xx days.
I went through all the 6.02 presets a few days back and made a master list of favorites and threw it into a spreadsheet. Just a simple column format with preset # under the category, amp type under amp, FX type under FX type.

LEAD | LD AMP | CRUNCH | CR AMP | CLEAN | CL AMP | EFFECT | FX TYPE

I can sort by amp type and effects type. Kinda oversimplified, but it works. I replaced a couple of my own amp/cab blocks with some preset blocks and tweaked them a little. The editor works fantastic for this.

What would be great would be an export utility that exports all data into a spreadsheet. The data could get huge for complex FX laden presets, so the option of filtering would be handy.

This would give users a chance to "break apart" an entire preset and see as many settings as they want on presets without having to drill down into the axe-fx interface or the editor interface....it's WAY too cumbersome to do that now and an export-2-xcel function would be very handy. Might be worth dedicating a thread to it.

That would be great for the editor.

I've been trying to use a patch naming scheme too, but I haven't quite figured out one that
will allow me to categorize by amp model, clean/warm/crunchy/blasty, effects, etc with the limited
number of characters available for naming.

Some built in categorization tools would be nice to have, but all things considered I suppose
I'd rather see resources directed toward other things such as integral reamping, more amp & drive
models and the continual upgrading of sound quality that already sets the Axe apart.

I saw this topic in the master wish list and thought I'd toss out a thread for discussion. If something
along these lines could be easily implemented it would be great.

If it would absorb already scarce resources, then I can do without.

The problem I see with exporting to a spreadsheet is that unless the function was built
in and automatic once turned on, the spreadsheet would rapidly get out of sync with the Axe...

I've been doing this the old school way all along...

Use the editor, save patches into clearly labeled folders ... there you go ;)

chase said:
* I know godprobe has a crazy involved one, but I don't think his incorporates categories.
Nope :| ...if you think my patch naming scheme is involved... I hope you didn't read my post about how I categorize my mp3s. :?

Sooo... I'm trying to come up with a hybrid custom Category tag/indexed-lookup Category tag, similar to mp3 ID3v1/ID3v2 genre tags but without the variable length that's in v2... BUT... I just don't know anything about how much spare space there is in a preset file... so... meh... I like the idea, but I can't settle on a good implementation, so I'll just leave the remaining thinking to everyone else! :D

godprobe said:
chase said:
Nope :| ...if you think my patch naming scheme is involved... I hope you didn't read my post about how I categorize my mp3s. :?

Just joshin' you godprobe! :mrgreen:

Just wanted to cast my vote for the Excel spreadsheet exporting option. Last night I came into a situation which to me clearly calls for the spreadsheet ability. I tweaked one patch in the Axe and got a pretty good tone. I wanted to hear a similarly tweaked patch, just using a different amp model. The problem was that no matter how I tweaked things, they were completely night and day different... and I don't just mean the tone. Having the ability to compare every single param for each patch would be extremely beneficial, as toggling back and forth between the patches is brutal when trying to compare every single param of every single tab of every single module.

Thanks,
Jeff

This would be a FANTASTIC addition to Axe Edit. FAS, any chance of this being implemented in the short to mid term?

Back
Top Bottom