POD HD500: Control Presets, Scenes and Looper

Just wanted to thank you for this. I works great with scenes. I had mine setup before with effects on the switches and fs5-8 enabled. Took alot of configuration but the lights even followed pretty well. But then I got an axe fx II and scenes make much more sense. I'm probably going to dive in and try to reassign the looper switch to toggle x/y instead.

Reactions: DTS
Do the scenes light properly follow the scene switches as in scene has it's corresponding light on and no others again same for scene2 lights with no other scenes lit.
Also is scene1 automatically selected when changing presets so that scenes 2-5 are the top row. The reason I ask is I may change from Behringer FCB 1010 where the light don't follow scenes, to the HD500.
Thanks nickxmix

No! Sadly i haven't figured out how to get the scene selection lights to change. I think it is not possible with HD500.

You can program HD500 to have the 5 scenes the way you descriped. But my patch uses only 4 scenes (the upper row switches).

How do you get the light on selected scene only to work with 5 scenes on the HD 500?

I don't! I aswered, that it's possible to control 5 scenes with HD500, the way Nickxmix descriped (...is scene1 automatically selected when changing presets so that scenes 2-5 are the top row.) The lights for scenes still doesn't work.

I don't! I aswered, that it's possible to control 5 scenes with HD500, the way Nickxmix descriped (...is scene1 automatically selected when changing presets so that scenes 2-5 are the top row.) The lights for scenes still doesn't work.

ah - ok, thanks, thought I missed something there.

does the HD500 colour the sound in some way before it hits the axe fx 2.

also does anyone know whether i could use a HD500 to control both an axe fx 2 and a jtv-variax at the same time.

does the HD500 colour the sound in some way before it hits the axe fx 2.

Not if you are just using the midi functionality to control the Axe.

also does anyone know whether i could use a HD500 to control both an axe fx 2 and a jtv-variax at the same time.

Yes - hd500 switch changes are always detected internally so you could theoretically be driving both units to a single output (ie into mixer and out to frfr). Not sure about variax though as I'm not sure that will work through Axefx

so your guitar is plugged straight into the axe fx 2 and not into HD500 and that into axe fx 2.

does the HD400 have same capability

Mines plugged into a Radial A/B switch out to Axe or HD with HD midi out to Axe Midi in. I/O from both units go to my Octacapture so I can have either unit in the loop of the other.

I have a Pod XT Live that I am trying to set up as a MIDI controller. Was there something special to the patch? I can't use it so I can't see how it's set up, but would love any help you can offer.

You have to find your pod xt manual, where you see the #cc commands for the switches. Then you just go and see your afxii #cc command list and start customizing the commands the way you want to control your afxii.

Pod Hd500 as a midi controller

Hi everyone,

Have just purchased a second hand Axe-fx II and loving the tone/effects.

I'm new to midi tho, so lots to learn.

I have a HD500x lying around and came across your post, I don't have a MFC. Would you be kind enuff just to explain how your patch works, do the bottom row of foot switches change the patch and the top row change the scene etc.

I have a Behringer fab 1010 but struggling with that too!

Many thanks in advance.
Hi!

I've had a lot of great help from people in this forum and i think it's time to give something back.

I have been programming my POD HD500 to work as midi controller for my Axe FX II for some time ( See my old thread ). I think, that my work is now completed.

This is my final version for all, who wants to use the Line 6 POD HD500 as a midi controller for Axe FX. I rewrote this to make it one, clear and easy to use guide.

So, what will work?
-You can control up to 64 presets from Axe FX with POD HD500. (Presets 1-64)
-SCENES 1-4
-Looper (or TUNER, if you don’t need looper function)
-Volume pedal
-Exression pedal 2
-Tap tempo

How to make it work?
Download my POD HD500 MIDI patch:
Line 6 CustomTone

Copy my patch to as many preset slots in POD HD500 you need. Remember, the maximum is the full SET list of 64 presets.

Setup Axe FX global MIDI settings from I/O menu:
MIDI channel: 1
Prog change: ON
Display offset: 1
MIDI PC offset: 0

Set these cc# commands in AXE FX to "none":

CC# 41
CC# 43
CC# 47
CC# 49
CC# 56
CC# 75
CC# 83
CC# 86
CC# 90
CC# 69

You'll found the CC command list from the I/O menu

If you don’t need the Looper function, you are now done, but if you want it, please read on.

-LOOPER MODE-

Let’s program the looper to work with POD HD500:
1. Go to Axe FX midi control page
2. Turn cc# commands from 60 to 69 to "none" and 122 to "none"
3. Search looper cc# commands from the midi control menu and change them to:
- Looper Bypass = 15 (Turn Tuner cc# 15 to "none", you can't control tuner anymore)
- Record = 60
- Play = 61
- Overdub = 68
- Reverse = 65
- Play once = 62
- Metronome = 67
- Turn rest of the looper cc# commands to "none"
4. Put a looper block in your patch and start looping!

This is how it works in POD HD500:
To enter the Looper mode, just press the Looper switch in HD500. Now the looper block is On and you are ready to control the looper. Press it again to turn the looper block Off and to exit from the Looper mode.

How the switches work in looper mode?:
-Press A switch to Record (autoplay is on as default in the looper block, so when you stop recording the playback starts automatically.)
-Press B switch to Play
-Press C switch to Overdub
-Press D switch to Reverse
-Press FS2 to Play once
-Press FS3 for Metronome

ENJOY!

View attachment 19327

Hi everyone,

Have just purchased a second hand Axe-fx II and loving the tone/effects.

I'm new to midi tho, so lots to learn.

I have a HD500x lying around and came across your post, I don't have a MFC. Would you be kind enuff just to explain how your patch works, do the bottom row of foot switches change the patch and the top row change the scene etc.

I have a Behringer fab 1010 but struggling with that too!

Many thanks in advance.

Short answer:
Upper row controls (Bank up), Scenes 1-4 and Looper Bypass (or Tuner if you don't need Looper)
Lower row controls (Bank down), Presets and Tap tempo (+ in Looper mode you can use these switches for looper functions)

Many thanks for your quick reply and hope you don't mind me pushing on with this. What mode do you have the pod in and is their anything else I should be doing to get the patch to work. If I copy your patch into more than one pod preset, what do I need to change so that it selects a different preset on the axe-fx !
As you can guess I'm a bit old school trying to catch up with modern technology! As much info on how your patch works etc would be very very much appreciated.

HD500

JohnieeJuiceBoxx

Mine only goes to 119! etc etc, what did you do to resolve.

Have you managed to get fs1-4 to light up with the scenes?

Thanks in advance for any tips ;o)

Got EVERYTHING to work as posted above. Haha thanks. Sorry for posting too early before even trying really hard to troubleshoot my own problem. Thanks again for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi DropTheSun,

How did you figure out this: -SCENES 1-4

I'm trying to accomplish the same as you, on a X3 Live.
I got it all nailed down, except for scenes. It only toggles between 1 and 8.
I can't figure out how to change values on the pod.
Did you use preset mapping?

best,
Ken

hey guys.

this is super cool . I am a midi noob for program changed.I plugged in my hd 500 and installed the preset and it seems to be working with presets and scenes with no CC changes yet . tap and tuner arnt working

with the CC changes does that mean I go to the command screen with all the BYP options listed and a number next to it and every time I se one of the listed numbers set it to none ?

just want to check before I start changing settings that I dont know what they do

Last edited:
Thanks for making this patch.

I'm using an Axe FX 2 XL and a Pod HD500x.

The only issue I'm having is that the volume pedal works post-amp, and I want it to control the volume before hitting the amp. I have a volume set up as an FX block in my patch.

Also, if I press the toe down on my Pod I can activate the wah, but then the expression pedal doesn't control the wah and the wah is parked.

Is there anything really obvious I've missed? I can't figure out what I've done wrong, I think I followed the instructions in the original post properly. Everything else works!

Thanks for making this patch.

I'm using an Axe FX 2 XL and a Pod HD500x.

The only issue I'm having is that the volume pedal works post-amp, and I want it to control the volume before hitting the amp. I have a volume set up as an FX block in my patch.

Also, if I press the toe down on my Pod I can activate the wah, but then the expression pedal doesn't control the wah and the wah is parked.

Is there anything really obvious I've missed? I can't figure out what I've done wrong, I think I followed the instructions in the original post properly. Everything else works!

For the wah, try changing the modifier to expression pedal 2. The default in the AxeFX2 is expression pedal 1. It worked fine for me after I changed this.

Back
Top Bottom