Plexi jump 50 versus 100w

Lincoln Brewster's strat tone is really great IMHO, but is at its best in the Anaheim Hilton video where he uses the Axe-FX Ultra ;)
Lincoln Brewster - "Let Your Glory Shine" Live at the Anaheim Hilton 1/14/10 - YouTube

As for Plexis, variacs etc: Try the Jumpered Plexi 100 with the saturation switch on and the master volume a tad down (8.11). This sounds like an old Marshal slightly modded for more gain and oomph. It's one of the best plexi sounds I've ever heard (and I've actually owned a couple of old late sixties plexis). I've tried to recreate the sounds I'm getting from the Axe with my Blankenship Variplex, which basically is a plexi with a Variac, but the Axe always comes out on top on tape and through the PA, even though the Blankenship sounds amazing in the room.

I'm using it with a couple of Ownhammer Legacy V2 cabs (OH 412 Bog 12M-RI SM57 Mod 8, alone or in combination with OH 412 Bog 12M-RI SM57 Vin 6).

Can anyone post some sound samples of their plexi presets? I asked about the plexi tone, and trying to get a similar tone to James Santiago on another post...can't get it anywhere near close to that vintage Clapton or Johnson core tone...

Can anyone post some sound samples of their plexi presets? I asked about the plexi tone, and trying to get a similar tone to James Santiago on another post...can't get it anywhere near close to that vintage Clapton or Johnson core tone...

Why 'Tone Match' is a lovely thing. At least as a starting point.

Those early Marshalls used KT66 tubes. I think there's a way to change the type of tubes for the models in the Axe FXII ,but I've not tried it and I'm not sure how to do it. I've seen close up photos online of Eric Johnson's Marshall settings before. Eric uses a Tube Driver in front of his Marshall for his main lead tone, and a Fuzz Face in front of his Marshall rhythm amp for a different lead tone.

The 1965-1967 Marshall Super 100 Amplifier (aka JTM45/100)

Closest to Lincoln Strat tone I have gotten so far in the past two years!
Yeah, very close to his pre-POD days. If I pull out my Les Paul I can get very, very close to his early tones, which I believe were recorded with a Les Paul and 50W head. I still have not been able to recreate his POD / Strat neck pup tone though, like on "All to You." That's one tone I would like to get some day, even if I can't play like him. Some of his other POD tones I don't really care for anymore, like on his "Today Is the Day" CD.

I find myself heading to the 50 watt model as well- it's more sputtery and angry, and that's how i like my Marshalls!

I also prefer the 50 watt Plexi, the 100 watt Plexi sounds darker to my ears. I owned both models and I don't remember the 100 watt Marshall being darker.

The 1972 50 watt Marshall's had a good bit of gain on tap and the AxeII's model of this amp seems to reflect well what I remember of the '72 I used to own. The jumpered 50 model sounds and feels fantastic! I also really dig the 100 watt jumpered Plexi model for low gain stuff - wide dynamic range.

Both the 50 and 100 are great.. I had a few vintage Marshalls (plexi and metal panel) and they were all different to some extent. I had (I believe) a '71 metal panel 100 W that was insanely loud but had a good amount of drive compared to the few other 100 watters I was familiar with. I always used pedals into them and liked to run them where they just started breaking up- mainly cause it hurt my teeth to play them turned up where they would really gain up. Not an issue with the Axe and I love not needing drives to get there..

Back
Top Bottom