Plexi cleaning up with volume knob

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
Is there one amp model that does this the best? Cleans up really nice when you roll your guitar volume down.
I want to create a new preset with a Plexi as the amp.
Please tell me the exact model name in the unit.
Thanks!

Really any edge-of-breakup amp. I find ones that are non-MV work a little better.

Most important thing is to not have a gate, or have a very subtle one with a low threshold.

Last edited:
I used the 50w 6ca7 in the strat clip I posted in the recording section. First bit is volume rolled back.
That is my choice as well. The model responds to picking dynamics / volume knob adjustments in a very pleasant manner. Set the amp up for a good rhythm tone with your guitar volume on full and then roll down for clean or any shade in between. I have played multiple live sets this way.

Is there one amp model that does this the best? Cleans up really nice when you roll your guitar volume down.
I want to create a new preset with a Plexi as the amp.
Please tell me the exact model name in the unit.
Thanks!
Any plexi-based model can do that wonderfully. I suppose there is one that does it the best, but I’d have to search through every one of them, and set up each model to do that, in order to find the absolute best one. Too much work, because they all do it well.

The Gain Enhancer (under Dynamics) can make nearly any amp clean up well. Set the Compressor Threshold so that when you turn your guitar volume down to it is not activated and when you turn it up it is activated. That's easily done by looking at the gain meter. Then it's usually easier to set the amp gain where you want it with your guitar volume down. Then with your guitar volume up set the amount of gain you want in the Gain Enhancer using the Output Compression control. (You might then need to go back and reset the amp gain to get it just right.)

The Gain Enhancer (under Dynamics) can make nearly any amp clean up well. Set the Compressor Threshold so that when you turn your guitar volume down to it is not activated and when you turn it up it is activated. That's easily done by looking at the gain meter. Then it's usually easier to set the amp gain where you want it with your guitar volume down. Then with your guitar volume up set the amount of gain you want in the Gain Enhancer using the Output Compression control. (You might then need to go back and reset the amp gain to get it just right.)

I really appreciate this tip! I will have to give it a try.

It's really great when you can roll your volume knob for just the right amount of gain wanted.

This concept seems more simple with more control and easier overall.

I have been using scenes to do this for years, and it always seems like a battle trying to get it just right.

I cheat and use the Brit Super just so I can get it to clean up. You can tweak it to sound like a Plexi and there's headroom. A treble bleed helps too. The Brit Super has been my go to Marshall since I started with the AX8.

I cheat and use the Brit Super just so I can get it to clean up. You can tweak it to sound like a Plexi and there's headroom. A treble bleed helps too. The Brit Super has been my go to Marshall since I started with the AX8.

Yea, earlier this week I got everything dialed in at home playing along to the mp3 songs for this weeks service.
At practice Thursday night and my tone was SO treble heavy I couldn't believe it.

In my case I was using the 50W 6CA7. The main culprit was the bright capacitor. Default is 4999 pF.
I had to turn it down to 80 to make it useable.

To make sure the FOH wasn't sending me a poorly EQ'd tone I did an A/B comparison this morning.
AX3 Direct out to my in ears vs. the monitor send to the ME-1. The sound was just the same.
I made it through the service but I was not comfortable with the tone, and it affected my playing.

This is with my Tremonti. It doesn't have a treble bleed. Back at home, I tried a strat with a treble bleed, but the pickups were not right for the tone I am going after.

I also tried the gain enhancer on the Dynamics tab for output compression.
While I could get some difference in tone, it seems like its going to take a while for me to understand how to go back and forth to get it working properly for me, if I can.

All that to say maybe a treble bleed on the Tremonti will be a step in the right direction.

How hot it the bridge pickup? For me, I like a hotter bridge pickup and a low output front pickup to help with the cleaning up w/ the volume thing. I try to dial in where I have a T808 in the chain but not engaged. It's there for when I need more juice OR when I want a fluid neck pickup tone. I also use a control switch to bump the pre-amp boost so I get a little more than the added gain the T808 gives when I switch to that scene. But I have a treble bleed in all of my guitars except a couple that I don't play and the newer addition, EVH Frankie replica (that guitar is it's own 'thing')

It's funny....I wanted the Fractal so I could have a multi channel amp type rig. And of course I have all of that at my disposal. But I'm always trying to dial it in where I can clean up with the volume. I guess I like the playing dynamic of blues to shred but it limits my amp selections. I probably need to 'move on' and expand my 'amp' vocab. @Blix mentioned the 800 #34 does well too and I agree.

Back
Top Bottom