Plectrum, lets get picky

Guitarzan69

Inspired
I am enlightened to this topic every five years or so apart. I feel this is a topic that is not talked about much, but makes a big difference in overall tone and feel.

Picks are as important to tone and feel as anything else.

Today I layed out my favorite plectrums from bright to dull, and gave them a tryout. Surprised how different they feel and make me play accordingly.

Attachments

• IMG_8845.jpeg
    IMG_8845.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
I like the Ernie Ball prodigy minis, I’ve been playing with these and other jazz 3 for over 12 years. I like how they don’t wear quickly and also force you to be more accurate.

As far as other gauges and styles it really comes down to what type of aesthetic you’re going for and guitar you’re playing.

I am another Jazz III guy. I kinda like the red ones. Not sure if it’s a tonal difference or a colour difference. I don’t love the ones with the texture but I’ll take them if non-textured isn’t available.

The Jazz III kind of awakened my interest in guitar. It is the difference between me enjoying playing or not. I know it sounds weird, but I got into them nearly 20 years ago (circa 2005-ish) and I’m never going back. Something about the size and thickness is perfect for me. When I tried them, I didn’t even know who else played them. It was irrelevant. It just fit

Last edited:
I used jazzIII (xl or not) for 20 years, then pitch black tortex, and now I really enjoy the Violet Tortex (1.14 I think).
At home I also enjoy the White Steve Vai picks.

But live it's always the violet tortex that wins.

it also depends a lot on the strings gauge. I played 11.49 for more than 20 years but since I had ulnar nerve troubles I came back to 9.42 and everything has changed so jazzIII is out

Gravity Gold Tripp Big Mini. I like being able to switch between the pointy tip for really precise single string work and the rounder tips for strumming. And as an added bonus, it doesn't leave behind pick dandruff of my guitar.

I pretty much have and use for various instruments, Dunlop nylon 1mm and .88 Tortex yellow .73? These are mainly for strumming parts especially on acoustics. Then I have also, black ice picks 1.1 and 1.5mm, and Nylpro and Nylpro plus in 1.4. I generally buy in bags of 25 or 100 so I only buy once every few years. My favourite picks are Hawk pics 1.5mm I think, I've got a few based on the jazz xl and about half a dozen based on a custom shape based on the Nylpro dimensions.

After trying a ton of different picks for several years, I tend to run with ubiquity nowadays. I just use standard 1mm tortex picks as they do everything I need them to. I’m sure my lack of skill is a bigger hindrance to my playing than my type of pick 😂

IMG_20240506_032111.jpg

One of those Dunlops at the top looks like I've had it for decades... must've bought them 'relic' picks. ;)

The purple one in the middle, also a Dunlop, very stiff for just 1mm, I actually have had for 30 years now. Oh, and the 2mm one. Bought at the same store, which was close to my school and during the big breaks we would go and quickly wail around on their Squires and Corts tryin' to impress one another. :)

Dunlop Flow 1.5 bottom left (use this almost exclusively), some IIRC rosewood pick bottom right (nicely mellow).

Top left: Wirethings! One clear acrylic/brass wire, one red fluorescent polycarbonate/steel wire. If you want that metal plec sound but a coin in your hand just doesn't feel right.

Edit: Got the wire materials wrong

Last edited:
You have to go Plectrum.ch artisanal Swiss picks, life changing btw the 2 brown/ yellow Torlon picks are €100 EACH, but no more flapping pick sounds, just direct string strumming/ picking and I don't break strings with them, but I've never been a string breaker

Attachments

• 17149603549717227371604093950233.jpg
    17149603549717227371604093950233.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom