Please recommend a 1U rack vintage type delay !!!

Billbill

Power User
Hello folks,
Can someone that knows far more about rack gear than I do please recommend me a piece of kit. Must be only a 1U space all I have left in my studio 16U rack case and 1 slot remains open and needs to have something in it.
I’m thinking a vintage style delay like a an Echrec or Echoplex style analog type delay that can nail them lovely saturated tape delay tones, but not sure if anyone makes a 1U rack mount vintage style delay. Any suggestion on what I should buy would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bill

1U delays I can only think of the Roland and Korgs, which don't nail the sound you're looking for, and a bit more modern, the Line 6 green rack and the TC D Two. Out of those, only the L6 has a Tape style delay

Hi Billbill,

Depending on your budget, you can get anything from an eventide, to a behringer!
In your position (I want a delay and it must be 1RU), I'd just look at ebay, reverb etc and grab a used classic.

Thanks
Pauly

if you have money to burn, the eventide eclipse would be a great investment (and it has a lovely tape delay algo). if you just want delays, then the TC D2 is a great little unit and sounds mint. not old skool, but very useful. i would maybe scour ebay, you could probably pick up something vintage and cheap on there. let's see if leon has any suggestions - @2112 - i know you've tested a few 1u units of late....anything spring to mind?

edit: the boss de 200 might be one.

Eclipse, D-Two and Echopro are all solid choices. A few others to consider;

Roland RE-3 Space Echo can be had for a decent price.
Korg AM-8000 has a really nice tape style echo.
Korg A2/A3.

Hello folks,
Can someone that knows far more about rack gear than I do please recommend me a piece of kit. Must be only a 1U space all I have left in my studio 16U rack case and 1 slot remains open and needs to have something in it.
I’m thinking a vintage style delay like a an Echrec or Echoplex style analog type delay that can nail them lovely saturated tape delay tones, but not sure if anyone makes a 1U rack mount vintage style delay. Any suggestion on what I should buy would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bill
I loved the Quadraverb in the eighties.

Thanks so much guys for all the suggestions I’ll definitely look into them all! As for the AxeFx recommendation, that’s already at the top of my rack 😂

Only recommending units I have actual familiarity with.
  • Korg SDD-3000 if you want modulated delay with an optional +4db boost to push an amp. Maybe even the sdd2000 as an alternate choice.
  • if leaning toward a tc2290 type the eventide eclipse is a good option plus does quite a bit more.
  • Oh, I had a korg a3 too. It has a built in delay as one of its effects. I would thing the A2 would as well.
https://reverb.com/item/76336157-ko...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=76336157

https://reverb.com/item/71684775-ko...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=71684775

https://reverb.com/item/80417555-ev...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=80417555

Above picked at random.

Last edited:
Roland SDE1000 comes to mind.

Mu-Tron 1173

Midiverb ii is a classic now, but was maybe too after the echoplex? Classic sounds though.

Back
Top Bottom