Please make it possible to type also a "," instead only the "." for all values

Liquid22

Inspired
It may look like a small issue, but I think it isn’t:

To be able to use a comma as well as a decimal dot for values would make working with AxeEdit allot more convenient (at least for Axe Users without the US-Keyboard layout).

I.E. here in Europe the value 3.5 is written 3,5 and because of that there’s a comma in the keyboard layout for the right handed Numeric keypad and not a decimal point like in the US.

So if you want to type in a value in AxeEdit you can’t type it fluently without moving the hand. You have to jump and aim for the only dot on the keyboard located below the letters. Depending on the labeling and the light conditions there, it’s often very nerve-racking to differ the dot from the comma next to it, if you just want to change a value quickly.

I don’t know how many times I typed in a value on the Numeric keypad (using out of habit the ”,”) and the value shoots up to maximum value (maybe because in the US it’s used to visualize the 1000s)

So that looks like a dilemma, but nonetheless I’ve seen already software, where floating point number are always interpreted as such, whether you type in a decimal dot or comma. And I think a lot of Axe Users would be very happy, if Axe Edit is going to be such a peace of software.

+1 for OP.

FWIW ISO 31-0 allows for either as decimal separator.
Does that mean it should be possible already? Since we don't need to use thousands separators, (when typing 10000 (Hz) in to a field you can easily omit the . Or, in case of the US/UK, the , ). So just assuming both would be decimals would work.

Does that mean it should be possible already? Since we don't need to use thousands separators, (when typing 10000 (Hz) in to a field you can easily omit the . Or, in case of the US/UK, the , ). So just assuming both would be decimals would work.

It means it's an acceptable separator for decimal places and internationalized software needs to be aware of this. e.g. you can't say "decimal is the standard, use that" because it isn't. Either is the standard. The framework AE uses is fairly i18n friendly, I'm surprised this doesn't follow a user's system preferences and just work actually. Note: I post this not because I think Fractal would brush it off, but because it's sometimes strange to North American's (English-speaking Canadian's included here like myself) to see a , instead of a . for the decimal separator and balk at it as being "not standard".

I didn't know all that ^^^^. But I still wonder, if there are other Europeans here or more precise non-US/UK/Canada-People (except Dutch an me), who also struggle with the "missing comma acceptance" of AE.

Actually, my and I believe most computers used in NL come with a US keyboard. Every one of mine since the 6068 processor and the 40Mb harddisc (upgrade from 20) had one.
Which is a drag with some software that uses a , for decimals and won't accept/convert the . which sometimes happens to me so I sympathize. Like going through hundreds of lines of bank software .csv file to import it into excel that converted the comma into the next column.

Anyway, there's a . in the numerical keypad so AxeEdit works fine for me.

Us Dutch are a practical bunch. US keyboards were cheaper and they worked, so we stuck with that. Some call us cheap, but since we were always very generous with charities, I don't think it's cheapness per sé. it's more that we like the value for money aspect.

I do know that in f.i. Belgium they use a different keyboard which may have a , there.

Oh hey, the AxeEdit Programmers must have noticed this thread somehow. :)
Not quite what I was hoping for, but at least the new AE 3.1 doesn't type the "," for thousands values any more. Hey, thx so far.

(still hoping the "," comes back as decimal separator :encouragement:)

Don't know what language Axe-Edit is written in but there's a standardized library for C/C++/Java (ICU - International Components for Unicode) that has code to facilitate globalization. Allows for straightforward coding that gives your program sensitivity to various locale differences like this. It's used by Apple, Google, IBM and others.

Don't know what language Axe-Edit is written in but there's a standardized library for C/C++/Java (ICU - International Components for Unicode) that has code to facilitate globalization. Allows for straightforward coding that gives your program sensitivity to various locale differences like this. It's used by Apple, Google, IBM and others.

It's C++ on top of the JUCE framework/lib. It has some internalization support, but I don't recall how robust it is.

Back
Top Bottom