Please, I need some midi help

WannaRock

Hello everyone, I need some midi help in the worst of ways. I have been fighting trying to update my system for two days. I have written several post in the midi area but it seems like not many people visit that area or I may have posted in the wrong area. Anyway, I have several posting with the gt-10, edirol fa-101 and a little midi to usb cable I had for years but can't track down a driver. Here is one of my links some recent failers. I am getting down and depressed with the axe before I get up and running:|

I really think my gt-10 is my best option if it is possible to upgrade firmware through it.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/floor...re-decimal-id-125-what-does-mean-gt-10-a.html

Anyway thanks for looking and please leave any useful information you may think of. Thanks

You're trying to update the firmware via the GT-10? You mention an Edirol FA-101...is there any reason you're not using the Edirol to make the transfer?

The only thing that stands out to me is I believe your axe-fx sysex id should be set at 00 01 74 instead of 00 00 7d.

You also need midi in and out.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your posting megalowmatt, I started out using the edirol and ran into the same issue. I had never done midi though it so I thought maybe I had a driver issue. I uninstalled the driver thinking I would just reinstall. It don't want to play that game now. Now I can't get the edirol working again for nothing. So I moved on to the gt-10 thinking I just wanted to use it for just a update, not a full fledged midi controller. I have been fighting and fighting and I am thinking the usb and verion ll sound better and better for me personally all the time. I would really like to try out version 11 before thinking about moving on though. But I can't seem to get this to update... Hopefully someone will come along and say hey silly guy, you have to do X, but that just hasn't happened. By the way I do have midi in connected to midi out and midi out connected to midi in. Thanks again for taking the time to give me some direction.

Last edited:
Good news, sort of

Hello again, after megalowmatt ask why I am not using the edirol fa101, it got me thinking and so I did a system restore from yesterday and the fa-101 is showing up in the axe edit midi settings again. I still can't get it to pass a loop back test, but it is a start.

As I was just sitting here thinking, I was thinking about the midi cables. I have swapped them out once already. I looked at the jacks on the fa101 and they have 5 pins and 7 pins on the axe fx. Does that matter? Seven on the gt10 also. All my cables are 5 pin.

Anyway, it looks like if anybody has any suggestions on the gt-10 or edirol. I can now hook both of them up now. Thanks again for your input.

WannaRock.. this is pretty simple to do. Not sure if the FA-101 will support the bulk sysex, but we can try.
This is how to hook it up. You will need TWO 5-pin midi cables.

Make sure you have installed the most recent Edirol FA-1010 drivers for your OS (operating system).
Connect MIDI OUT of EDIROL to MIDI IN on Axe.
Connect MIDI OUT of Axe to MIDI IN on Edirol.
Make sure both devices are powered up.
Start up AxeEdit and select the Edirol as MIDI IN/OUT and see if it shows a successful connection.. you can press test button, but it should do the test automatically.
If you get a connection, follow the instructions that came with the new firmware to do the upgrade.

Let us know how it goes..

PS: the loopback test will fail if you have Axe MIDI IN/OUT connected. You need to hook up FA-101 OUT to Axe IN, and axe MIDI THRU to FA-101 MIDI IN if you want the test to succeed. MIDI data is not passed from IN to OUT, but via THRU port.

Thanks for the reply sc9

I am back online with my edirol fa101. I did the rollback on the computer and got my driver back. It is the current driver. I have good news in the fact that I am doing a receive sysex from the fractal for the first time. It has been two days trying to do an update, it is nice to see some activity. Even if it is the wrong way :) I did not know your PS, thank you.

My connections are like you stated, powered up both devices, it always shows the midi in and out's correctly but it "never shows a successful connection". Thanks a ton for your feedback, I am letting the machine do a sysex receive at the moment. Then I will try axe edit again, sysex receive is really slow, I am at 42000 received, I am not sure how much further it has to go.

I have gotten axe edit to send the files in version 11 a few times and the axe just says waiting to receive or something like that. Well anyway while my edirol is back on line and at least doing something productive I will wait it out.

I have read some people who say to get an older version of axe edit that was available when the version of firmware you currently have was around and try to update with that? I am not sure
what version that would be, where to get it, or if it would help.

I have also read some people roll back there firmware a version?

Those are a few options I haven't explored yet. Hopefully, the next time I go back into axe edit, I will have a connection for the first time in two days. Thanks again sOc9

Keep in mind, that these kinds of problems are usually not AxeFx or AxeEdit related - tho' the evidence my appear the contrary. MANY vendors who support MIDI on their devices do not fully support the bulk sysex portion of the midi spec, either in the the drivers or the hardware itself. That's because it's not a commonly used part of the spec and vendors want to reduce overhead. The AxeFx and AxeEdit communcate [mostly] via sysex, and upgrading your firmware is doing a bulk sysex "dump" to the AxerFx. If the FA-101 doesn't support that, no amount of attempts will be successful.

At this point, if you are not successful, I would evaluate obtaining a second (cheap) midi interface.

Music to my ears, YESSS!!! I don't know what happened or what I did. The axe ran all night doing a sysex receive, I ended up cancelling it this mornng when I woke up. Next I went to axe edit, same thing I had 4 billion times this weekend and it said connected good. I hit update and it actually did. Now I am current with my version and can get back to doing what I enjoy, making music. Thanks alot for your help..

Music to my ears, YESSS!!! I don't know what happened or what I did. The axe ran all night doing a sysex receive, I ended up cancelling it this mornng when I woke up. Next I went to axe edit, same thing I had 4 billion times this weekend and it said connected good. I hit update and it actually did. Now I am current with my version and can get back to doing what I enjoy, making music. Thanks alot for your help..
You are welcome !! Many of us have been thru the pain. We do understand the frustration. Happy music making!

Thanks sOc9, I usually am ok once I get through something. It is the learning part that gets me. When I was younger I could sit for hours trying to do one trivial thing. Now a days I am not very patient. I played around with 11 today and am glad to say I am up and running. Day three has been good. Thanks again for your help

Back
Top Bottom