Please help with horrific intermittent recording noise

Meaning it doesn't record anything or you can't hear it while you record?

For the first I would say make sure the track is armed and that the input on the track is selected for the one coming from the axe you want to use.

For the latter, there is a button on the bottom mixer pane that looks like a speaker, click it to turn on recording monitoring.

Meaning it doesn't record anything or you can't hear it while you record?

For the first I would say make sure the track is armed and that the input on the track is selected for the one coming from the axe you want to use.

For the latter, there is a button on the bottom mixer pane that looks like a speaker, click it to turn on recording monitoring.

It's the latter; I can make a recording and play it back--it's perfectly audible (with nasty noise, of course). But when I bounce it to wav or mp3 and play the bounced file (say, in iTunes) I get absolute silence. If I bounce a Logic recording, I hear it as expected.

It's the latter; I can make a recording and play it back--it's perfectly audible (with nasty noise, of course). But when I bounce it to wav or mp3 and play the bounced file (say, in iTunes) I get absolute silence.
Really ?
This has nothing to do with Reaper OR the Axe interface! Any time you play a wav/mp3 file in software "(say, in iTunes)" you have to configure that software to use the same output device(s) that you have configured in Reaper - or it will default (in most cases) to your sound card - and you will not be able to hear it !! This is DAW recording 101...
Try "importing" the "bounced" file into a Reaper track for playback.. you should hear it fine!

Really ?
This has nothing to do with Reaper OR the Axe interface! Any time you play a wav/mp3 file in software "(say, in iTunes)" you have to configure that software to use the same output device(s) that you have configured in Reaper - or it will default (in most cases) to your sound card - and you will not be able to hear it !! This is DAW recording 101...
Try "importing" the "bounced" file into a Reaper track for playback.. you should hear it fine!

Thanks. I will try that later, but I'm not sure how your description differs from my setup, since I have both Reaper and iTunes configured to output to my external (Focal XS) speakers.

I did not claim, btw, that this particular issue had anything to do with the Axe interface.

I also appreciate the exclamation points, as they convey much-needed emphasis ;)

Last edited:
Thanks. I will try that later, but I'm not sure how your description differs from my setup, since I have both Reaper and iTunes configured to output to my external (Focal XS) speakers.
Sorry, must have missed that part in the thread... :shock
While this may not be true on a Mac (not a Mac guy BTW) on Windoze, exclusive use of the output audio device is often the case - without the use of an aggregator like ASIO4ALL.

The last word: it wasn't a latency issue. It wasn't a buffer issue. I upgraded my Mac OS to Snow Leopard, and my Logic Express to 9, and I now enjoy noiseless recording.

Thanks to all of you who helped me sort this out.

Back
Top Bottom