Please Help! V6.00 Beta 3, fan full blast, unable to connect to fractal bot

guitarcal

Inspired
I've been running v6.00 beta 3 a few days with no issues.

I booted up my FM3 this morning and the fan kept running full blast after fully booting.
The system immediately rebooted about 30seconds later. After the reboot, the screen got fuzzy. I shut down the unit, waited 10 seconds, then powered back on.

Presets loaded and I was getting audio, but fan still full blast.

My first thought was to reinstall the beta firmware. Opened up Fractal Bot, selected FM3 device, put Input and Output ports weren't selected, and there are not options in the drop downs.
I confirmed I am running the latest fractal bot.

I tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling. Also installed fractal bot on my wife's mac, and my work pc (installed both FM3 drivers) and no luck.

I've tried "Home" button recovery, doesn't connect. Empty preset loads, but unable to connect to fractal bot. Fan runs full blast.
I've tried "Page Left" and "Page Right" recovery, doesn't connect. Fan running full blast, unable to connect to fractal bot. I ran a memory test and that passed.
I've performed a global params reset. Fans still run full blast and will not connect over USB.

I should add, vents are not blocked on side, and fan is not blocked on bottom. Temps are running 140 degrees F / 60.4 degrees C, so this seems higher than normal. It usually operates in the 120 - 125 degree range when I have checked in the past.

I've tried multiple USB cable, no success. I tested the same USB cable connected to the Axe Fx III and it is able to connect to Fractal Bot just fine.

If I let the unit sit for 30 minutes or so, I power on, the fan starts full blast like normal, but then turns off. After about 2 minutes the fan will kick on again. USB does not connect...

Is there anything else I can try? I've opened a ticket with Fractal Support. This one is weird because it has worked flawlessly in the past.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-09 061629.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-09 061629.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I'm pretty new to the Fractal Universe but this might help (the firmware reversion towards the bottom):

Press-and-hold both EDIT and HOME at startup to bypass and reset the system settings AND load a clean preset.

Use Fractal-Bot to load firmware onto the device.

You can also revert to a previous firmware version using the emergency bootloader:

1. Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears
  2. Update using Fractal-Bot.
A system reset also resets the FC Controllers settings. Use the editor to save and restore these settings.

I'm pretty new to the Fractal Universe but this might help (the firmware reversion towards the bottom):

Press-and-hold both EDIT and HOME at startup to bypass and reset the system settings AND load a clean preset.

Use Fractal-Bot to load firmware onto the device.

You can also revert to a previous firmware version using the emergency bootloader:

1. Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears
  2. Update using Fractal-Bot.
A system reset also resets the FC Controllers settings. Use the editor to save and restore these settings.

I've tried the EDIT and HOME at startup. With blank preset, Fractal Bot will not connect.
If I try the PAGE LEFT / RIGHT process, it loads the recovery screen, but I am unable to connect to Fractal bot to load the firmware.

What is the CPU usage of the startup preset?

If blank preset loaded, CPU is at 12%. If my normal presets are loaded, then probably 80 - 82%.

FYI, support has gotten back with me (very quickly which is cool) so will work with them to see what options I have.

If blank preset loaded, CPU is at 12%. If my normal presets are loaded, then probably 80 - 82%.
80% remains the maximum recommended load. Beyond that you can run into problems with blocks and audio being shutoff, and slow response to controls, and even the fan running full time as the CPU tries to get everything done.

Is your unit sitting on carpet? Are the vents on the sides, or the intake on the bottom, blocked? Are you using the unit in a dusty environment or do you have pets who like to lay on the unit? The unit is warm and cats like warmth.

You can remove the cover and check for excessive dust or fuzz on the heat sink, and use some canned air and/or a vacuum to clean it if so. Don’t spray canned air on the fan itself, even though it’s fun, because it’s supposed to not be good for the fan.

Last edited:
80% remains the maximum recommended load. Beyond that you can run into problems with blocks and audio being shutoff, and slow response to controls, and even the fan running full time as the CPU tries to get everything done.

Is your unit sitting on carpet? Are the vents on the sides, or the intake on the bottom, blocked? Are you using the unit in a dusty environment or do you have pets who like to lay on the unit? The unit is warm and cats like warmth.

You can remove the cover and check for excessive dust or fuzz on the heat sink, and use some canned air and/or a vacuum to clean it if so. Don’t spray canned air on the fan itself, even though it’s fun, because it’s supposed to not be good for the fan.

Thanks, these are great things to check for. FM3 isn't on carpet and the unit fan isn't blocked.

I asked support if I can remove the cover to check for dust. Maybe I'll see something with the USB port. No matter what preset is selected, I am unable to connect over USB.

Support is fixing the FM3. Turns out it was more than a bad USB port; it was the USB controller, so the entire mainboard has to be replaced. My suspicions were this would be worse case as the fan was running full blast, not just a dead USB port. I appreciate their professionalism, and the extremely quick turnaround, but I am not happy with the cost of the repair.

It is costing $470 for a new mainboard, $40 bench fee, plus return shipping cost, and only 30 days warranty on the repair. This totals more than half a new FM3 (they are on sale right now). I asked Fractal support if they would work with me on price and they will not.

Full disclosure, I borrowed this FM3 from my brother with full intent to purchase from him. I did learn he purchased used from a touring band so this is definitely a second hand FM3. That said, he hadn't had any issues with it and owned for 8 months, so I assumed it would be a good unit to purchase. I do understand from Fractal's side they don't know how this unit was treated, but they should be able to verify the unit is in good shape, so likely it was not mishandled and cared for.

Maybe I am asking too much, but given my loyalty with new products (I pointed out several times in the ticket), Fractal should have worked with me regarding the cost on this repair. Every other Fractal product I have purchased has been direct from Fractal. These include an Axe III, FC9, and Axe II. My brother just purchased an FM9 and I have advocated for this product with local gig attendees when they ask which has resulted in interest and / or additional purchases from Fractal.

I am still loyal to Fractal, maybe this is to a fault. I hope and believe this was a fluke thing with this FM3 unit. That said, I do feel like a much less valued long-term customer now...

@FractalAudio @Admin M@ @Mark Day

I should add, this is the only spot I'll post this, I'm not going to rant about this at the Gear Page or anything like that. My goal isn't to hurt Fractal reputation, I like the company and product, like I said I'm still a loyal customer! That said, I needed to voice my experience with Fractal leadership and fellow Fractal owners here...

Last edited:
It's a 3rd-hand unit with (given its vita) above-average hours on it which you do not even own yet, what's the point of this rant?

Honestly, I was hoping for Fractal to make more of an effort to recognize and reward loyalty, especially family loyalty in this case. Even a small gesture of waiving the bench fee and extending the 30 parts warranty would have gone a long way.

I understand, It’s a used FM3, it’s a risk my brother and I now regret.

I don’t expect everyone here to agree with my opinion, I might be in the minority. But it seems prioritizing customer loyalty over saving a few hundred dollars would be the right move.
Especially when you are rewarding someone who is passionate about the company, product, has spent a good chunk of $$$ on their product, and is weekly involved on the forum.

Just my two cents…

Last edited:
Honestly, I was hoping for Fractal to make more of an effort to recognize and reward loyalty, especially family loyalty in this case. Even a small gesture of waiving the bench fee and extending the 30 parts warranty would have gone a long way.

I understand, It’s a used FM3, it’s a risk my brother and I now regret.

I don’t expect everyone here to agree with my opinion, I might be in the minority. But it seems prioritizing customer loyalty over saving a few hundred dollars would be the right move.
Especially when you are rewarding someone who is passionate about the company, product, has spent a good chunk of $$$ on their product, and is weekly involved on the forum.

Just my two cents…
Sorry to hear of your situation. I agree that’s a steep repair cost, but you can look at the fact that by swapping the board you’re getting much more than a new USB controller. I also would have hoped to be able to obtain a longer warranty on the repair.

Did you have a choice to forgo the repair and opt to purchase a new FM3 instead?

Fractal should have worked with me regarding the cost on this repair.
My guess is that they do try to keep things "cheap." As they (possibly) have no idea what really happened with it, I wouldn't go under the cost price either. Too many people throw their stuff around, then feel they should be saved...

I am more wondering if there could be a design flaw involved, or generally more crap parts are produced (which they can't help, you can only do your best). In the former case, I'd hope they do work with anyone who has to suffer this. It feels like the new gen has more technical problems, but maybe that's just because there are (way) more users than 10 years ago, making a few reported cases feel big.

BTW, I was also very surprised and disappointed you already can't get a replacement LCD for the II anymore... (?) (although I'm not personally suffering from that... yet)

given my loyalty with new products
To have many people that only want the best and have spent 5 to 20K here is not uncommon. It makes them both special, and not as special as they may like to think... FAS know that, for now, they are the best, and you are probably gonna stay anyway. (I suspect they will stay the best, but the gap will become smaller to a point you can live happily using another brand — many already are, or pretend to be.)

I do feel like a much less valued long-term customer now...
Maybe they too feel less valued by you not buying a new one in the first place...? ;)
-
I'm happy that some units use more than one "main" board now, hoping it will make some repairs less costly.
-
I also hope in one of the next generations a kind of hardware firmware host would come out that can be used by different companies. A top-notch unit that ideally can have CPU/RAM upgrades too. This in hopes that you don't have to spend 2 to 5K on a hardware device every several years, and that they will be cheaper, as much of the value is in the firmware. OTOH 1: The cost of replacing the mobo at cost may not change much, but you can at least hope to keep using it for as long as it will last (I mean, this would be a system where every part remains repairable for a longer while as well). OTOH 2: You may not be in the camp of "the best" for long, as tech evolves and some want to make a unit that is the "very best"...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your situation. I agree that’s a steep repair cost, but you can look at the fact that by swapping the board you’re getting much more than a new USB controller. I also would have hoped to be able to obtain a longer warranty on the repair.

Did you have a choice to forgo the repair and opt to purchase a new FM3 instead?

It was a thought that ran through my mind, but like you said, with the new main board, most all of the internals should be new. So in that sense it's somewhat like a new FM3, just without the warranty.

I'm happy that some units use more than one "main" board now, hoping it will make some repairs less costly.

+1 on this, the more modular the better. In my case though, I imagine the USB controller has to be somewhat closely integrated to the processor on the logic board. These two components are probably as modular as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom