Please help:Not enjoying my Axe through a poweramp and into a cab

Orvillain

Power User
Okay, this isn't a 'the Axe is shit' thread so please don't take any offence :)

I'm having some issues getting believeable tones going through a poweramp and out into my 4x12 cab. I've got an Egnater Tourmaster 4x12 with V30's. I've got the following:

Marshall 8008 Valvestate poweramp
Diezel D-Moll - power section is 100watt and uses KT77
100-watt Carlsbro 60's PA valve amp

So what I'm getting is pretty lifeless tones. There is no low-end thump to them, and they're not cutting through in a band mix. I was on the cusp of just selling the Axe, because if it cannot be my live solution as well as my recording solution, I'd be a bit miffed.

I've A/B'd my Diezel D-Moll and the Axe FX with one of the Dizzy models at low-ish bedroom volumes (actually still pretty damn loud to be honest!) and they were both very good. But this was through a different cab - a 2x12 ENGL with v30's. In blind tests, I couldn't really tell the difference between the feel and the tone and the thump. This was using the Marshall 8008.

So it seems there is something about the extra volume my band rehearses at (we play LOUD!) that is scuppering my tone at the moment. Trying to figure out what to do about it. Last practice I didn't use the Marshall, I used the FX return of the Diezel, but experienced the same thing. I'm not 100% sure what to do.

Now I understand it isn't a valve amp, and I understand it probably wont ever be exact. But any tips on how to get closer to the physical feel of my Diezel D-Moll? I want the same depth, the low-end trouser flapping stuff, and tones that cut through in the live mix. We have two guitarists, bassist, and a drummer that HITS THINGS VERY LOUD... so there is a lot to cut through. It didn't seem to be an EQ problem, it seemed like something to do with the power amplification. Don't really want to go and spend a load of cash on a valve power amp if it isn't going to address the problem.

I've not yet tried the Carlsbro PA head in a band situation. Was thinking to try that next week during practice.

In short - everything sounded kind of flat, the cab didn't sound like it was trying to jump half way across the room like it normally does, and the general feel of the thing was certainly of a modeller being turned up loud, sacrificing all of the amp like feel and tone that I can get quite easily at bedroom levels and DI'd into my computer audio interface.

I had the same experience trying the Axe FX II along with my Marshall JMP 2203. I tried with axe in front of, in 4cm, and into the poweramp insert, and I just could not make it work for me after several attempts.

I happened to have a behringer EPQ 2000 solid state poweramp sitting around and gave that a shot with the same 1960b stock cab and it worked so much better using the amp modeling on.

I added an fx loop in axe edit and run output 2 to my power amp....I don't understand the algorithms behind it but the sound seems to be more true. I am running to an ENGL 840/50 stereo power amp into an ENGL 2x12 with V30s and a 5150 2x12 combo. THis setup sounds different than just turning off the cab block off or disabling the cab block in the I/O. I also have presets for jamming with a live band that are somewhat tweaked a little bit to help out with separation from the drums, bass and the other guitarist while jamming. Something to try at least. Hope this helps.

barhrecords: is left or right off ? Because it's either 400hz or 4000hz emphasis ?

Its not the frequency its the level. Lower the level.

If you are using AxeEdit, the curve should flatten.

This may have no affect if power amp modeling is off? I'm not sure about that. But I do think the speaker page in the amp block is for using a SS amp not a tube amp.

This might be useful too:

Cliff: "If you shut the power amp modeling off from the Global menu it is not exactly the same as turning it off by setting Supply Sag to zero. This is because the virtual power amp always runs. So if you shut the power amp modeling off from the Global menu the supply will still sag resulting in a more compressed response. If the Master is set high the sag can be quite pronounced."

I use an 8008 here too and get a pretty nice tone from the Axe into that (into a 1922 2x12). One minor point if you haven't tried it - switch the 8008 mode to 'Linear' instead of 'Valvestate', that should get a little closer to a flat response from the power amp which seems to work better with the Axe.

Cheers,
Brian

Strange. I massively preferred the 'valvestate' mode. Sounded more realistic to me. But isn't quite cutting it for band situations.

Back
Top Bottom