Please help - MFC 101 noob - I'm bumming out :(

Bought and received an MFC 101 mk 3 from a fellow forum member, I made a few rookie mistakes connecting it. It wouldn't recognize the new XL I bought.

In setup, it only had, "None, I, Ultra and II", no "XL". It worked when I plugged the MIDI cable in and switched perfectly. However, It came bundled with an ethercon cable so I wanted to take advantage of that.

So I decided to try updating the firmware. Followed instructions, booted the MFC holding button 1 for FW update, using the XL as a MIDI interface. It completed the update at least 4 times and when I rebooted the MFC (unplugged the adapter/plugged it back it) I get an error 14 every time. It won't even boot up properly so I can factory reset it.

I'm so irritated that I screwed up, I just gave up.

What are my options? Do I need to buy an actual MIDI interface to update the MFC-101? What do I need to do? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sal :dispirited:

Should help. My MFC was acting goofy with all sorts of error messages while attempting update until I connected it via an Edirol simple midi interface directly to the computer. Then lower the buffer size on the Fractal Bot App and you should be good.

So I decided to try updating the firmware. Followed instructions, booted the MFC holding button 1 for FW update, using the XL as a MIDI interface. It completed the update at least 4 times and when I rebooted the MFC (unplugged the adapter/plugged it back it) I get an error 14 every time. It won't even boot up properly so I can factory reset it.

When you reboot the MFC, is the MIDI cable still plugged in? If so you should pull that out after the update is done and power cycle your AFX.

You followed these also?
On your Axe-Fx, press the I/O button, PAGE to “MIDI”, and make the following settings:
a. Change USB ADAPTER MODE to “ON”.
b. Change SEND REALTIME SYSEX to “NONE”.

After I'm done updating I typically UNPLUG all cables to the MFC then reboot the AFX with it unplugged, turn everything back to defaults (USB ADAPTER MODE: OFF | SEND REALTIME SYSEX: ALL).

From the guide:

What does ERROR 14 mean?
Error 14 is a rare problem that occurs after the MFC-101 a failed firmware update. Once this occurs, you can start
over to achieve success, but the MFC-101 will “time out” if the update is not completed quickly enough, causing
the unit to display ERROR 14 again. Decrease the MIDI Buffer Delay setting in Fractal-Bot (In step 1 “READY”) to
90ms or lower to speed the firmware transmission process.

Let us know mate, it takes a few tries to get the process down correctly ;)

Yep, followed all those instructions but I may have missed something being new to this. The midi interface should get here tomorrow so I'll try then. I'll keep you posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should help. My MFC was acting goofy with all sorts of error messages while attempting update until I connected it via an Edirol simple midi interface directly to the computer. Then lower the buffer size on the Fractal Bot App and you should be good.

Hi Javy and ibanezfreak, I went out and bought a mio midi interface and am sitting here typing this, still no success. Very upsetting. I even tried SysEx Librarian which actually ran the update to the MFC at 30 ms. About 20 tries in and nothing. When I reboot or power cycle I just pull the wall art out and then put back in. This is very upsetting.

I don't think the unit is defective, the thing is brand new and the previous owner used it at home. WTF? Hating technology right now.

I have had this problem too, it was also a matter of the right buffer size.
Suzzi and her collegue helped out really fast and it was fixed in a heartbeat.
I'm not 100% sure what I did back then, it had something to do with taking out or sticking in the ac adapter at the right time.

All will be better soon! Your unit is just fine.

The USB/MIDI cables you're using ( Creative EMU xMIDI ) isn't recommended for firmware upgrades. I have that cable also and it works great for SysEx dumps and restores but NOT FOR FIRMWARE upgrades. Likely related to the message lengths. I have a cheap Chinese knock-off cable that works flawlessly (Click here to see). The other cable I have is a Roland UM-ONE. I have never succeeded with the EMU cable to upgrade the MFC-101 firmware and it is something I do quite often as I do a lot of testing. My $0.02c worth.

The USB/MIDI cables you're using ( Creative EMU xMIDI ) isn't recommended for firmware upgrades. I have that cable also and it works great for SysEx dumps and restores but NOT FOR FIRMWARE upgrades. Likely related to the message lengths. I have a cheap Chinese knock-off cable that works flawlessly (Click here to see). The other cable I have is a Roland UM-ONE. I have never succeeded with the EMU cable to upgrade the MFC-101 firmware and it is something I do quite often as I do a lot of testing. My $0.02c worth.

Hi, thanks for the heads up. I bought the mio from iconnect at guitar center. I'm able to transfer the FW, it just reboots with an error 14 :/ I unplug/plug the wall wart in to reboot, and get the error 14. I can't wrap my head around what's going on.

Hi, thanks for the heads up. I bought the mio from iconnect at guitar center. I'm able to transfer the FW, it just reboots with an error 14 :/ I unplug/plug the wall wart in to reboot, and get the error 14. I can't wrap my head around what's going on.

Sorry for the frustration, I have not have this type of issues with my AFX II Original and MFC-101 Mark II.

At this point, you may have to update the firmware through an AFX II from someone else to borrow or bring a laptop with you.

Question though, you mentioned wall port and ethercon. When I update my firmware I do not require the wall plug, just the Ethercon and MIDI cable. Is that the set of instructions that you had followed to get the firmware to it?

Where are you located?? Wondering if another member is close by that you could bring the MFC over to their place to use it to update the firmware. Or FAS, is there another thing that we are not thinking of?

Thanks mate, you'll get it...

Sorry for the frustration, I have not have this type of issues with my AFX II Original and MFC-101 Mark II.

At this point, you may have to update the firmware through an AFX II from someone else to borrow or bring a laptop with you.

Question though, you mentioned wall port and ethercon. When I update my firmware I do not require the wall plug, just the Ethercon and MIDI cable. Is that the set of instructions that you had followed to get the firmware to it?

Where are you located?? Wondering if another member is close by that you could bring the MFC over to their place to use it to update the firmware. Or FAS, is there another thing that we are not thinking of?

Thanks mate, you'll get it...

Hi Ibanez,

I started this whole process using my XL as a MIDI interface for the FW update. I dunno if that's going to help? My main frustration is that this process shouldn't be this hard to do, especially when this gear costs $$$$. I'm happy with my XL, but this USB to MIDI process is absurd. I've read/reread instructions to see if I'm missing anything (no), I'm at my 60th try for the FW update to take.

At this point I would pay to ship the unit back and have Fractal Audio do it. I just want to play!!!

At this point I would pay to ship the unit back and have Fractal Audio do it. I just want to play!!!

I hear ya, that might be a decent suggestion. Just to be clear you followed these instructions?:

ADVANCED: Power via Ethernet/EtherCon or FASLINK

The following option is detailed for advanced users in cases where no other alternative is possible. Under normal
circumstances you should use the provided MFC-101 AC Adapter connected directly to the unit’s power jack when
performing a firmware update. If this isn’t possible, however, Ethernet/EtherCon or FASLINK can in fact be used to
provide power while a standard MIDI cable transmits a firmware update to the MFC-101
. While using an Axe-Fx II XL,
you may want to set the MFC port to “DISABLED” (under I/O:MIDI) during this type of update.

WARNING! Use the Axe-Fx power switch to cycle MFC-101 power when required, rather than disconnecting
the Ethernet/EtherCon cable. As stated in the MFC-101 manual, the Axe-Fx II must be powered OFF whenever you
connect or disconnect the MFC-101. Carelessly “pulling the CAT5” to power cycle the MFC-101 can result in “telltale”
damage to your Axe-Fx II, the repair of which is not covered under warranty.

The sequence of events must be as follows.

1. Configure the Axe-Fx for use as a MIDI Interface as described above.

Configure your Axe-Fx II as a MIDI Interface
On your Axe-Fx, press the I/O button, PAGE to “MIDI”, and make the following settings:
Please remember to revert these settings to their previous values when the update is complete.
The default for USB ADAPTER MODE is “OFF”, and the default for SEND REALTIME SYSEX is “ALL”.

2. Power on the Axe-Fx II while holding footswitch #1 to boot the MFC-101 into Firmware Update Mode.

3. If you are using the Axe-Fx as a MIDI Interface to transmit the update, you must wait until after the Axe-Fx
has fully booted before connecting a cable from its MIDI OUT port to the MIDI IN port of the MFC-101.
Otherwise, the Axe-Fx will try to sync and cause “ERROR 18” in the MFC-101.
With the MFC safely in Firmware update mode, launch Fractal-Bot and perform the update.

I hear ya, that might be a decent suggestion. Just to be clear you followed these instructions?:

ADVANCED: Power via Ethernet/EtherCon or FASLINK

The following option is detailed for advanced users in cases where no other alternative is possible. Under normal
circumstances you should use the provided MFC-101 AC Adapter connected directly to the unit’s power jack when
performing a firmware update. If this isn’t possible, however, Ethernet/EtherCon or FASLINK can in fact be used to
provide power while a standard MIDI cable transmits a firmware update to the MFC-101
. While using an Axe-Fx II XL,
you may want to set the MFC port to “DISABLED” (under I/O:MIDI) during this type of update.

WARNING! Use the Axe-Fx power switch to cycle MFC-101 power when required, rather than disconnecting
the Ethernet/EtherCon cable. As stated in the MFC-101 manual, the Axe-Fx II must be powered OFF whenever you
connect or disconnect the MFC-101. Carelessly “pulling the CAT5” to power cycle the MFC-101 can result in “telltale”
damage to your Axe-Fx II, the repair of which is not covered under warranty.

The sequence of events must be as follows.

1. Configure the Axe-Fx for use as a MIDI Interface as described above.

Configure your Axe-Fx II as a MIDI Interface
Please remember to revert these settings to their previous values when the update is complete.
The default for USB ADAPTER MODE is “OFF”, and the default for SEND REALTIME SYSEX is “ALL”.

2. Power on the Axe-Fx II while holding footswitch #1 to boot the MFC-101 into Firmware Update Mode.

3. If you are using the Axe-Fx as a MIDI Interface to transmit the update, you must wait until after the Axe-Fx
has fully booted before connecting a cable from its MIDI OUT port to the MIDI IN port of the MFC-101.
Otherwise, the Axe-Fx will try to sync and cause “ERROR 18” in the MFC-101.
With the MFC safely in Firmware update mode, launch Fractal-Bot and perform the update.

Yep. Followed to a tee. Brought the unit to work and was trying the firmware update here. No dice. Very bummed.

I submitted a ticked with support, let's see what they say. BTW, forgot to add, I'm out in San Diego.

I submitted a ticked with support, let's see what they say. BTW, forgot to add, I'm out in San Diego.

FAS has awesome customer support, Matt will get you squared away. Although I have not had to contact them yet (knock on wood), I've heard great things on here.

There should be some other folks on here near the San Diego area who could assist with an AFX II Original or Mark II to try the upgrade through.

Good luck mate.

FAS has awesome customer support, Matt will get you squared away. Although I have not had to contact them yet (knock on wood), I've heard great things on here.

There should be some other folks on here near the San Diego area who could assist with an AFX II Original or Mark II to try the upgrade through.

Good luck mate.

Thanks so much for the support. The community and spirit on this forum is great. The Axe is an amazing tool. Can't wait til I have full use with the MFC. I'll keep you all posted.

Are you sure you are returning these two parameters to their initial defaults post update?

Are you sure you are returning these two parameters to their initial defaults post update?

Yes, when I first tried the update using my XL as MIDI interface. I've since tried updating using this: Product - mio | iConnectivity.

It didn't work. Tried at least 60 times. I saw the update reach 100%, get the "FW Update Complete" on the MFC 101, then unplug the wall wart, plug back in, and get "Error 14". Every single time. I have a ticket in to support.

When I updated to 3.06 I got the 14 error. The bot will say 100% but it actually does not happen 100%. I did get by it finally.

Back
Top Bottom