Please help me choose power amplification.

moffar

Hi there.

I'm a guitarist and all new to the power amplification in that matter, and now I'm looking into Matrix' products. With both studio and live in mind I can't decide which one to choose. The ones I have in mind are the gt1000fx, gt1600fx and the gt1500fxbd. I'm realizing that the 1600 is meant for bassists and 7, 8, 9 etc. stringers (even though I play bass in studio), so I'm stuck between the 1000 and 1500. I'm thinking long term and do not wish to regret my choice here, so I'm wondering if the 1000 is enough for me, or should I go with the 1500? Can the 1500 do the same things as the 1000, or is it two completely different worlds?

Thanks in advance for answering me when in doubt.

The 1000 is enough.
I run my 1000 with 2 x NL212 or 4x12, trust me it is loud! even the drumer say so ;)

Last edited:
I have friends that use the 1000 and run 2 4x12 with plenty of power should not be a problem! I would run the axe straight in, in the studio!

The 1000 is enough.
I run my 1000 with 2 x NL212 or 4x12, trust me it is loud! even the drumer say so ;)

Sorry for the hijack, but I have a GT1000FX and two NL212s on the way - will use them to complement my current FRFR rig. Just curious; how do you run the two NL212s? In stereo or mono? Side by side or on top of each other?

how do you run the two NL212s? In stereo or mono? Side by side or on top of each other?

First I would say that this combo (Matrix 1000 + NL212) is a killer!
I like these NL's VERY much, they are the best cabs I had since starting using the Axe, I went through many different cabs, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 but these (NL212) by far are above all.
Now, I'm running them in stereo and I keep them one on top of the other, it's because of lake of space (both home and live) and because I like the "wall" of sound I'm getting in my back when playing live.
For best stereo image you should run them one next to the other with some space between but for me as mentioned, there is not enough space so…
Besides, I place the rack on top of them so it's comfortable this way.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The matrix power amps seem to be quiet popular with the axe at the moment. What makes them so popular?

The matrix power amps seem to be quiet popular with the axe at the moment. What makes them so popular?

It started with Matrix being one of the few (if not the only) makers to have a high-power amp (500W+) in a 1U form factor.

1000 is enough for a 4x12 especially if it's 4ohms, 16ohms you might find your self maxing out if you are playing really loud with a lot of power hungry low end.

I started with Carvin and switched to Matrix. A definite improement. Much more density and mass to everything. You can't go wrong with Matrix, and you can probably tell from everyone here cheering them on. They are also amazing with customer support. They were going to overnight me an amp on tour because I was having an issue, it ended up being my own dumb mistake and the amp was fine haha. But recently I switched to VHT 2/90/2 tube power amp. There is just something more convincing and "real" about it when paired with the Axefx. It's not night and day, but it feels and sounds better, but it ways a shitload. There's lots of options that are great.

I started with Carvin and switched to Matrix.

Exact same story here, prior to the Matrix I was running a DCM200L.

They are also amazing with customer support.
Sure is!

But recently I switched to VHT 2/90/2 tube power amp. There is just something more convincing and "real" about it when paired with the Axefx. It's not night and day, but it feels and sounds better, but it was a shitload.
The VHT is a very good option for the Axe, so is the Mesa 2:90 (had it before) and yea, they all sound great and weight a ton! Another reason way I switched to a light 1U amp.

Exact same story here, prior to the Matrix I was running a DCM200L.

Sure is!

The VHT is a very good option for the Axe, so is the Mesa 2:90 (had it before) and yea, they all sound great and weight a ton! Another reason way I switched to a light 1U amp.

Mr. Roadrunner does the NL212 good enough that each of the amps in the axe fx still sounds as expected. Like Marshall sounds like Marshall and AC20 sounds like AC20.

Mr. Roadrunner does the NL212 good enough that each of the amps in the axe fx still sounds as expected. Like Marshall sounds like Marshall and AC20 sounds like AC20.

Well, I really can't tell as I never had all these 200+ amps that are in the black box.
Seriously, as mentioned many times I had played / tested / owned a lot of different cabs, I had Boogie 1x12 EVM's, Boogie Rectifier 2x12, Carvin 2x12 (v30), JVM 4x12, ENGL 4X12….
For me the NL212 sounds better then all the mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom