PLEASE HELP. I hate how my axe sounds!!!!

i play with a very high action, and i recorded the clip without vibrato to avoid any noise from the guitar, i also used 2 completely different guitars and the noise is there.

Sounds like the guitar(s) needs a good setup. Some string warble and stuff going on... That's all I can tell from the clip....

test clip by Giuseppe Motta Jay on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

this clip is recorded with an ibanez premium with neck humbuker pu in the first part, and a fender strat with single coil pu in the second part.
the sound is only made with default settings cali leggy amp with boost activated and default settings 4x12 solo v12 (rw) cab.

everything on guitars is damped (strings, vibrato bar, tremolo springs)

You can hear strange electronic glitches and noises at low frequencies. Is that normal? i don't think....

care to share the preset .syx file so others can test the preset on their rigs, to see if they get anything that resembles the same sonic artifact that we're hearing?

A few things that stick out to me are:

Sounds like things are not fretted properly and/or slight fret noise. This could be the vibrato technique you're using.

The wave is completely squared off, so you're either compressing the crap out of it, or you're over driving something in your signal chain.

The fuzz on the end is your note decaying, the natural fuzz of the amp, then the gate kicking in. The fact that the fuzz is almost the same volume as the note reinforces my thought that something is compressing the hell out of it.

What's your entire signal chain from guitar to DAW?

care to share the preset .syx file so others can test the preset on their rigs, to see if they get anything that resembles the same sonic artifact that we're hearing?

This is the answer. Upload the patch.

The clip sounds to me as if your guitar has a proud fret causing the buzz/ringing. Very often causes false harmonics. Does not sound like an Axe-FX issue to me based on the clip. Sharing the preset allows others to check.

i can't upload the syx

tha signal chain is guitar, eminence cable, axe fx

the preset is really simple:
Amp: cali leggy, boost is activated, all other parameters are default (initialized)

Cab: 4x12 solo v12 (rw), all parameters are default (initialized)

no compression no post processing, nothing

all i hear is warble caused by the pickups being too close to the strings. i can't hear any noises at low frequencies at all.

did you compress the recording before posting it to soundcloud? if you didn't, then it's recorded extremely hot...

all i hear is warble caused by the pickups being too close to the strings.

got to agree with Simeon here...

my pups in my Morgan Guitar Works guitars are pretty high output...
my other processors are ok with them...
the Axe was more sensitive to them so I dropped them by a few mm and things immediately improved for me...

Email the preset to webmaster at fractalaudio

I will upload it here.

when you reply to this this thread, click on the 'go advanced' button
there's an icon in there shaped like a paper clip.. that'll open a new window allowing you to upload a preset
click 'add files'
click 'basic uploader'
click 'choose file'
click 'upload'

EDIT: I listened to the clip again...
I'm still thinking that it sound like magnetism from an overly close pup interfering with the string's ability to vibrate..

Last edited:
i can't upload the syx

tha signal chain is guitar, eminence cable, axe fx

the preset is really simple:
Amp: cali leggy, boost is activated, all other parameters are default (initialized)

Cab: 4x12 solo v12 (rw), all parameters are default (initialized)

no compression no post processing, nothing

How did the sound get from the Axe to soundcloud? This isn't the entire chain. I really think there's a gain staging or compression issue here.

recorded via usb with logic pro, obviously no post processing, no compression, nothing at all. did a 256kbps mp3 uploaded on soundcloud.

I just tried the preset....
here's what I hear:

the preset is really dry... no reverb.. just amp / cab..
this will therefore expose absolutely everything imperfect with your guitar..

Ibanez RG:
this is fitted with a DiMarzio Breed.. it's pretty hot.. also it has a stupidly low action..
it buzzes a little [something I'm aware of / ok with cos that's hidden by all the gain I drown my guitars in]..
with your preset, the very low action manifests itself as a slightly 'shrill' tone.. like a very very high eq boost on the buzzier frets...
this is not the tonal effect you are hearing...
note that Ibanez guitars are not made well and are not made out of good 'stuff'..

my Morgan [which is a very high end hand made custom guitar / made from top grade 'stuff'] gives a very different result..
it's more like the oscillation you hear but much much less..
this I think is due to a combination of two things:
1 - my pretty high output pups [which have been lowered to mitigate this oscillation]
2 - when you pick a string, it does not vibrate perfectly or uniformly throughout the duration of the sounding note
it will initially be ever so slightly sharp and then gradually stabilise..
other 'things' on the guitar will oscillate in sympathy with the string.. it's not possible to mute down absolutely everything..
so there will always be a little oscillation to some degree even if you have no fret buzz and have muted the bridge springs, headstock strings etc]
contributing factors will be:
- pup magnetism
- age of strings
- how hard you pick the string
- quality of the neck joint
- build quality of the guitar
- muting the guitar's resonant parts
- intonation [possibly]

I even managed to reproduce this tone on the 24th fret of the RG [ruling out fret buzz]

what you are experiencing seems pretty normal to me [although maybe a little magnified by the pups being overly close to the strings]..
in a performance preset or during mix-down I'd imagine you'd have a little reverb in there... this will smooth out this effect...
when playing I'd imagine you'd be using vibrato on long notes so you'd not notice this at all..
in a mix, I'd expect an oscillation so subtle that it'll pretty much vanish...

your playing in that clip is in essence 'un-natural'.. and the preset is very dry..
this therefore exposes this phenomena..
I suspect that through other kit, played the same way, under the same / similar tonal conditions you'd hear pretty much the same thing...

seriously dude.. and I mean this in the best possible way... I think you're hearing the imperfections in your guitar..
drop your bridge pup by 2mm to 4mm...
throw a little ambience on there and just play naturally, and in a natural environment [with a band / backing music etc] and I doubt this will bother you again...

Last edited:
What Clarky said. A humbucker can sound like a singlecoil-ish pup when you get some fretbuzz..

Back
Top Bottom