Please check my logic before i start this

Maxsys

Inspired
OK so i am a rookie when it comes to the Axe, had it a few weeks, just been noodling around and messing with settings to see what it does. Now its time to start creating presets, and setting myself up to use with the band.

Equipment i have: AXE FXII XL+, mfc101, Matrix GT1000FX, Matrix FR212 Speaker 2 x Fractal EV-1 Expression Pedals.

Software AXE Edit & MFC Edit

So my band plays a vartiety of cover songs, set lists change, and we may deviate from a set list on any given night, so i am thinking song mode is the way to go. Setting up with a maximum of 5 scenes per song.

I intend to create one preset per song then create the scenes from the preset by bypassing or activating effects, and X/Y amps where required. This to me seems most logical, if its not please tell me. I have looked at the sets option, and i dont think this will work as well for me. Presets is also probaly not an option as i dont want to have to think too much about where stuff is.

I will be running the Amp and cab on stage as backline, and going FOH for the sound guy, fortunately we have our own guy, and always use our own gear.

So am i right in thinking use Mono for all presets, Output 1 = Backline Output 2 = FOH or is there a beter way? I initially want to get all this setup so once i have the presets down i dont have to screw around with them making changes after the fact if they are not configured to best work this way.

I will probably use the expression pedals as 1 assigned to a volume block in each preset, and 1 assigned as either Wah or effects alterations depending on the song, i assume this can be done.

My main concern is making sure i make minimal mistakes during the creation process for the actual presets, and then ensuring that i duplicate the sound for backline and FOH.

You knowledge and wisdom is appreciated.

Last edited:
One minor thing - you'll probably want Out 1 to go to FOH since you have the option for XLR out. Out 2 only has 1/4", which is fine for running into your amp. Otherwise, I think you've got a good plan.

One minor thing - you'll probably want Out 1 to go to FOH since you have the option for XLR out. Out 2 only has 1/4", which is fine for running into your amp. Otherwise, I think you've got a good plan.
true, but many Axe users choose to give Out 2 (using the Echo function) to the FOH because it is 1/4" out. many sound guys will not go XLR directly to a device and instead give you a DI box.

so i would suggest bringing a DI box (i honestly use a $20 Hosa with no issue) and 1/4" cable with you to the gig specifically to go Out 2, 1/4" to DI box, then XLR to the FOH board. many times the venue will have DI boxes available, so you'd just need to supply the 1/4" cable.

it seems really dumb since there is XLR on the Axe itself, but trust me from experience, most soundguys as well as "soundguys" know 1 thing, and that's "use a DI box." this frees you up to use XLR to your own powered speakers or whatever.

Yep. Set the output 2 to copy from output 1 and they will get the same output signal. Fun stuff is you can eq each output individually and adjust the front panel volume for your monitoring without influencing the other output.

Definitely use out1 for FOH. XLRs. Never had an issue with the built in DIs. Never read of any onhere either. You only need to convince one sound guy. And output 1 also has jacks, so you can still use outboard DIs. Or both. Together. Or use AES and go digital.

Last edited:
Speaking of outputs, how are they affected by the OP's need to send cab sims to FOH but not to his amp & cab on stage? I haven't used that setup before. Does that require using the FX block?

Speaking of outputs, how are they affected by the OP's need to send cab sims to FOH but not to his amp & cab on stage? I haven't used that setup before. Does that require using the FX block?

the amp/cab he's using is full-range, so he can just use the Echo option since he is sending cab sims to both FOH and on-stage:

http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/h...gnal-to-foh-and-on-stage-full-range-monitors/

this is the process for sending cabs to FOH, but not on-stage:

http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/h...but-without-cab-sims-to-a-guitar-amp-and-cab/

Just glanced at your tutorial - very nice as always. So, it looks like output 1 will have to be the FOH (cab sim) output and output 2 (non-cab sim) will go to the amp on stage. And copy output 1 to output 2 won't work (if I'm understanding correctly).

Just glanced at your tutorial - very nice as always. So, it looks like output 1 will have to be the FOH (cab sim) output and output 2 (non-cab sim) will go to the amp on stage. And copy output 1 to output 2 won't work (if I'm understanding correctly).
i actually edited my post when i saw he was using full range on stage. check it out.

Reactions: TFC
So r you guys saying its best to be mono on stage...?
I was thinking of going stereo with two FR's...and FOH....or did I miss something.....

Last edited:
no one's saying it's best to be mono. i've run both stereo and mono over the years and they are both great.

Ok cool cause I was gonna put a monitor in front and one in behind.....and ping pong any body done that...and not had issues with the drum's....washing it out...

true, but many Axe users choose to give Out 2 (using the Echo function) to the FOH because it is 1/4" out. many sound guys will not go XLR directly to a device and instead give you a DI box.

so i would suggest bringing a DI box (i honestly use a $20 Hosa with no issue) and 1/4" cable with you to the gig specifically to go Out 2, 1/4" to DI box, then XLR to the FOH board. many times the venue will have DI boxes available, so you'd just need to supply the 1/4" cable.

it seems really dumb since there is XLR on the Axe itself, but trust me from experience, most soundguys as well as "soundguys" know 1 thing, and that's "use a DI box." this frees you up to use XLR to your own powered speakers or whatever.

So true - and I'll tell you why (I was a sound engineer for many years) - if I'm dealing with several bands, I have no interest in changing the gain structure of the guitar channel(s). I have no idea what might come out of yer fancy black box but if I know it's going to be at Mic level then I know I can handle it and it will already be sitting in approximately the right place in the mix. Also I now have some galvanic isolation between your rack, that may have been wired by a Howler Monkey on LSD, and my very expensive PA system. Consistency and safety trump theoretical audio quality advantages every time in a pressure situation. Of course if I'm working for the band it's an entirely different situation.

Now as a guitarist I turn up on stage, find the 'guitar mic' and stick the cable in my DI box from the AxeFX. The sound engineer very often doesn't even realise - they're just aware that the guitar sounds amazing. At the end of the set I stick the guitar mic back in and no animals or feelings are hurt.

Thanks again for the useful insight, fortunately i own our PA system as well, mixing desk is a Soundcraft Ui16 it has dual XLR/jack connections so either is fine with me. An yes FRFR on stage, so no isssues there.

So am i right in thinking use Mono for all presets, Output 1 = Backline Output 2 = FOH or is there a beter way? I initially want to get all this setup so once i have the presets down i dont have to screw around with them making changes after the fact if they are not configured to best work this way.

I send one side to FOH and the other to my monitor. I can actually hear some of the L/R mix via the FOH and on stage monitors. Helps with the phasing issues IIRC.

The one preset per song approach is something I'm considering too. For similar tones I'm thinking global blocks so any edits are transferred to the other presets as well. That said we have a roster of almost 100 songs.
I'm considering an Ax8 as well, that will definitely need a preset per song approach. Currently I have the songs and setlists in my liquid foot 12+ calling up presets in the AxeFx. But the LF will not be there with the Ax8.

And definitely stereo. Yummy! But I prefer both monitors in front firing back at me. Also gives me the least bother from the sound guys. Two monitors can push more without being louder. Although sound guys still want me softer. Seriously considering IEMs. But all of the band will need to go IEM then and I'm pretty sure our singer won't be easy to convince...

Reread my posts above for the advantages of using output 1 for FOH and 2 for monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom