Playing With Emotion

Emotion is an interesting subject in guitar playing. People usually seem to refer to the fragile or sad emotion... which is great! It's just hard for me to relate to it without a background story. F.ex. "I'm playing a sad song because I found out I have cancer" or is it "I'm showing a new skill that I learned which is emotional playing". I think sincerety is something that people notice so I don't feel like I'm the right person to play sad emotions when there are no sad emotions in my mind even though I know I can write extremely sad melodies.

I want to make people feel good so I try to capture a "badass or cool swagger" or just a good attitude and energy. Also check the band below (Koalia) I want to make people feel happy and have a good time. Party! Carpe Diem! YOLO! You know... :)

But I'm off topic now. I have a guitarist friend who always says his strength is emotion and he's one of the most superficial people I know.. as in "no heart". So I would say his emotion is phony and trying to make yourself feel sad to play sad melodies is just like acting. That's the way many people do it though but I'm not comfortable with it. :)

Like it.

Comment on the mixing: Acc Guitar almost no reverb. Your guitar LOTS reverb/delay. Gives (me anyway) a wrong sense of balance in the sound.

BUT As I said : I like it!

Stay emotional

AAEN

I know where your coming from, with me in this case when I played along to the acoustic track I made I just let myself go and it was like I could feel a deep emotional feeling like when something gives you goosebumps. Sad and happy music can be targeted with the different modes we play in. The minor key almost always gives a sad sound where major lends itself to happy. But it is strange I have seen comments on videos where someone will say you played it good but it had no emotion. How does one determine what the other person feels while performing, it just goes to show you every ones ears hear differently and their mind interprets sound different than others. Words can really bring the emotion home. I have seen many people cry while listening to a song because they relate to what the song is offering. Anyways it is a huge topic and I believe no matter how well one plays the guitar they can still play with emotional content. I love all music and apprecite what each musician has to offer. Its all good! Thank God for music because without it I'm not sure if I would want to live.

Back
Top Bottom