Playing through cab and PA issue

scheltemat

Hello all. I have an Axe Fx III and I am trying to run through a real cab (without IR) and through a PA (with IR) at the same time... PA tone is coming out of output 1, cab tone is coming out of output 2. I have the basics down, split chain before the cab IR into output 2 without the IR, but for some reason listening to the tone through the real cab in front of me it sounds as if there is no cab coloring the tone at all. I’ve tried 3 different power amps all with the same result, so I’m wondering if there’s some sort of routing issue within the Axe Fx III I am unaware of. I’ve done this on an Axe Fx Ultra and Axe Fx II before with success and it seems like it should be even easier on the 3. If anyone has any thoughts I’d appreciate it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
I play through PA and a real guitar cab all the time. I’m trying to understand your description.

“…listening to the tone through the real cab in front of me it sounds as if there is no cab coloring the tone at all.”

1. If you spit the signal after the Amp Block…
2. and you route the first signal to a Cab Block to an output…
3. and this signal goes to your PA, this sounds good.
4. You route the second signal directly to an Out Block…
5. and it goes to a neutral solid state reinforcement amplifier…
6. and then to a real speaker cabinet, of course the guitar cabinet and speaker impart their color to the tone.

Am I misunderstanding your description?

Check to make sure output 2 isn't echoing any other outputs or something strange in the i/o menu. I would also actually use output 3 instead of output 2 so you can get unity gain going into the cabinet when you turn up output 3 fully counter clockwise.

Here's a tutorial I made and how I approach this setup

So I ended up figuring out the problem! I was using an ampeg 6x10 to test it because that’s all I had available at the time, but was able to borrow a 2x12 guitar cabinet and that was the issue. Guitar cabs and bass cabs do not have the same effect (obviously) but bass cabs practically don’t color the tone at all, but a guitar cab does.
TLDR: don’t use bass cabs for guitar tones 😂

Back
Top Bottom