Playing a real amp after a long break…

I haven’t made it to Chuck Levin’s shop yet, but I keep telling myself I will (I’m in northern VA). Did you buy them there?
Yes! :) I ordered them online yesterday afternoon — head/cab package — and it was ready for pickup today.

I set the head/cab up after I got home and played for a couple hours. The “voice” I spent the most time on was: 60’s Clean Tone 1 (more “mid-scooped”): Vol 3; Treble 10; Bass 10; Master 10. I played that a long time. Great feel.

I tried all 7 of the “voices” in the manual. The hottest one is: Saturated Plexi: Vol 7; Treble 0; Bass 0; Master [as desired]. But I found I liked cranking the Volume up to “E-LEVIN” and the Master to about 2. That created a thick, meaty, chewy overdriven sound. I tried a couple pedals on that. I especially liked the OneControl Little Green Emphaser set just a tiny smidge before noon. That took it to full Metal territory. Pretty cool.

I used the cabinet. I’ll eventually run the head into the OX for recording, but for now I’m having fun with the cab.

Attachments

• IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Only thought about the other night, but having a real amp also gives me something to do while the latest firmware is loading into the Axe FX III, so that's a bonus.

Liam

Yes! :) I ordered them online yesterday afternoon — head/cab package — and it was ready for pickup today.

I set the head/cab up after I got home and played for a couple hours. The “voice” I spent the most time on was: 60’s Clean Tone 1 (more “mid-scooped”): Vol 3; Treble 10; Bass 10; Master 10. I played that a long time. Great feel.

I tried all 7 of the “voices” in the manual. The hottest one is: Saturated Plexi: Vol 7; Treble 0; Bass 0; Master [as desired]. But I found I liked cranking the Volume up to “E-LEVIN” and the Master to about 2. That created a thick, meaty, chewy overdriven sound. I tried a couple pedals on that. I especially liked the OneControl Little Green Emphaser set just a tiny smidge before noon. That took it to full Metal territory. Pretty cool.

I used the cabinet. I’ll eventually run the head into the OX for recording, but for now I’m having fun with the cab.
Great looking amp. During the development of the models, Mark Bartel was posting a lot of interesting little videos and photos of his testing and progress. He is such a stickler for the details, and his work is beautiful and he definitely knows his stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/bartelamps

Like, seriously, look at his workmanship… circuit boardcontrol knobs… and the tone….

Last edited:
I could say more about the Imperial but you said it well.

I leave mine on the lead channel, gain between 8-10, tone and mid-bite at ~5, depending on the guitar and my mood. Turn up the mid-bite… heck dime them all, and the amp is insane, and, oddly I haven't seen anyone do that in a video. So much for videos actually testing amps.

Plug in a Strat and set gain to 10, raise the tone and mid-bite to 6 and see what happens as you roll up the guitar's volume then hang on tight. Flip through the pickup selector's settings and you'll have fun. I do that occasionally at a jam I attend when I'm in a Hendrix mood.

If you have Dyna-Cabs running try the attached preset. I haven't had a chance to run with it live through my EVs so it might have too much gain or reverb, but it sounds good through my Ollo S5X headphones…
Thank you for the preset @Greg Ferguson !

Back
Top Bottom