Play in amp drive control knob

jamn4jc

Experienced
Got the AX8 for Christmas and opened it today. Definitely a thing of beauty. However, I did notice that there is more play in the amp DRIVE control knob/dial than in the other dials. It almost feels like a loose tooth in the amount of play/wiggle that is present. The other dials have just a touch of play. I also noticed that when maxed out, the value will end up anywhere between 7.5 and 10. If I dial back to zero, I can almost always hit a max of 10, but if I start at any other value (e.g. 5) the max is often less than 10.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Got the AX8 for Christmas and opened it today. Definitely a thing of beauty. However, I did notice that there is more play in the amp DRIVE control knob/dial than in the other dials. It almost feels like a loose tooth in the amount of play/wiggle that is present. The other dials have just a touch of play. I also noticed that when maxed out, the value will end up anywhere between 7.5 and 10. If I dial back to zero, I can almost always hit a max of 10, but if I start at any other value (e.g. 5) the max is often less than 10.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

I'm surprised nobody responded yet. I just checked and the drive control has slightly more play/wiggle than the other pots but it doesn't feel loose in any sense. It's not something I would have noticed had I not looked for it. Feels lke it may just be a different pot than the others.

I tested a number of the presets to see if the drive ever failed to get to 10. It goes to 10.00 every time. The knob can be turned continuously even after the value hits 10.00. It doesn't stop like on a guitar. If you continue to turn the knob and the value stops before it his 10, something is amiss.

I will test again in the morning, but I'm pretty sure mine would stop at a number <10 even if I continued to turn the dial. Thanks for the tip.

I'm surprised nobody responded yet. I just checked and the drive control has slightly more play/wiggle than the other pots but it doesn't feel loose in any sense. It's not something I would have noticed had I not looked for it. Feels lke it may just be a different pot than the others.

I tested a number of the presets to see if the drive ever failed to get to 10. It goes to 10.00 every time. The knob can be turned continuously even after the value hits 10.00. It doesn't stop like on a guitar. If you continue to turn the knob and the value stops before it his 10, something is amiss.

The DRIVE dial definitely has a start and end point. It gets to where you cannot turn it any further. The other dials are continuous.

Maybe I need to contact Fractal. I have about a 50/50 chance of being able to hit 10. If I start at 4 or below, I can reach 10. If I start higher, the drive stops short of 10.

Last edited:
The DRIVE dial definitely has a start and end point. It gets to where you cannot turn it any further. The other dials are endless.

Maybe I need to contact Fractal. I have about a 50/50 chance of being able to hit 10. If I start at 4 or below, I can reach 10. If I start higher, the drive stops short of 10.

Yeah that's definitely not normal; all the knobs behave and function exactly the same on my AX8.
-
Austin

The DRIVE dial definitely has a start and end point. It gets to where you cannot turn it any further. The other dials are endless.

My drive dial is an encoder... turns and turns and turns. I think that is as it should be. If yours turns then stops, I'd give Fractal Support a shout.

Back
Top Bottom