Pitch shift latency

It is there. That is how pitch shifters work. Like I said, set to global for pitch source, turn pitch tracking off, and adjust the tracking parameter down as low as it sounds good.

Sir, that I do not doubt for a moment! It's just that I never really realised how unstable and messy pitch shifters could be until I used a TC G Major and that was 15 years after the effects processors I mentioned had been introduced. It was unusable, an absolute joke!

Last edited:
Perhaps it is just a setting, then. It is interesting that it may not work on the II but it does work on the Ultra. I never even knew that it could be corrected on the Ultra.

I'll try tinkering with the settings to see if I can get any result.

Thank you very much for the input. It's good to know that there may be a fix!
Pleasure :) Good luck! Let us know how you get on!

Hey! Thank you all for your quick and informative responses! I have a much greater understanding of how the pitch shifter works and what its limitations are.

I agree that I would not use a pitch shifter in place of a drop tuning, but I was trying only to gain an understanding of why I was experiencing the latency. Thanks for all of the input. This forum is awesome! How many pieces of gear have such readily available and responsive forums!

Cheers!

Downshifting preset is kind of cool, but if you want to play downtune guitar, then downtune your guitar, pitch shifters for guitar is best suit for single notes or special effects

This answer always comes up in threads like this. It is unsatisfying. I understand that pitch shift effects are not good enough, yet, to perfectly drop a guitar without latency. However, that is what me an many other players want. Tuning a guitar down a 1/2 step is not an adequate solution because drop tuning the guitar changes the sound even more dramatically than the pitch shift effects do.

I want to a guitar to sound, and feel like it is in standard tuning, but come out the other end of the axe-fx 1/2 step lower. Someday it will be possible. I hope.

Phil

This answer always comes up in threads like this. It is unsatisfying. I understand that pitch shift effects are not good enough, yet, to perfectly drop a guitar without latency. However, that is what me an many other players want. Tuning a guitar down a 1/2 step is not an adequate solution because drop tuning the guitar changes the sound even more dramatically than the pitch shift effects do.

I want to a guitar to sound, and feel like it is in standard tuning, but come out the other end of the axe-fx 1/2 step lower. Someday it will be possible. I hope.

Phil

Yeah, it would be awesome. By 'sound and feel like it's in standard tuning' you basically mean string tension, right? Personally, when I down-tune a guitar I always run thicker strings to compensate. Doing that, I've never had any problems with my guitar sound. Obviously, it's not as convenient as a box that does it automatically, but if you're worried about tone and playability, I'd think it's pretty much your only solution. As you've experienced, the guitar doesn't respond very forgivingly to dramatic changes in tuning; changes beyond a simple drop-tuning will most always affect its setup and playability, which must usually be readjusted by an increase/decrease in string size or setup adjustment. So, if you're dealing with multiple tunings, it's probably always best to have a few guitars with each setup specifically for a certain tuning.

Certainly not as convenient as what we imagine should be possible. :D

This is an old thread, and maybe this was covered, but if you're doing a harmony-- like a fifth up or whatever-- you will experience ~20ms latency BUT if you put the hi cut frequency down to say 2 or 3k you won't hear the attack of the instrument "flamming" and it's totally good-sounding. I have an Axe 2 XL and this works perfectly for me. In general, I find the hi and low cuts super useful with the pitch block. They really can make a huge difference and definitely should be used.

Back
Top Bottom