Pitch shift latency

nicolassal

Inspired
I'm just curious as to whether others have noticed a slight latency when using pitch shifting blocks on the Axe FX II. When using the factory preset "Down Full Step" there is a slight latency between my pick stroke and the sound. Is this normal for pitch shifters or is this just an attribute of the Axe FX. I noticed the same thing with the Ultra, but I'm not sure if it's just me doing something wrong or if anyone else has noticed this.

Pardon my ignorance, but I would just like to know if I am doing something wrong.

By the way, I love the new Axe FX! It sounds great! I really didn't think that Fractal could improve on something so great, but as far as I can tell, the did! The amps sound much better to me! Now I just need some more guitar lessons, so I can do it justice!

Not ignorant at all! I had the same problem on my Ultra too. Managed to correct it by "pitch track" and "track adjust" on page 2 of the pitch shift.

Perhaps it is just a setting, then. It is interesting that it may not work on the II but it does work on the Ultra. I never even knew that it could be corrected on the Ultra.

I'll try tinkering with the settings to see if I can get any result.

Thank you very much for the input. It's good to know that there may be a fix!

Some delay is inevitable when pitch shifting because of the nature of how it works especially pitching down. As stated earlier, turning down the tracking will lower the latency at the expense of quality. Also, pitch source to global will help reduce latency.

The same things that apply on the Ultra apply on the II. The parameters are exactly the same.

Did the eventide eclipse suffer with the same latency during pitch shifting? Just asking as that thing has been around since god knows when so someone on the board must own one.

Just checked the Down a full step. It is set to poly local. Set it to global and turn the pitch track to off to reduce latency. The track adjust is already way low so you may actually want to turn it up for quality purposes even though it will increase latency (it will sound like a ring modulator if you don't).

Last edited:
Pitch shift effects are delays effect so it's normal to experience latency at some point, even on the best processor. Downshifting preset is kind of cool, but if you want to play downtune guitar, then downtune your guitar, pitch shifters for guitar is best suit for single notes or special effects, this preset is just experimentation if you ask me, for the fun of it. I can assure you that none of the way too low tuning guitars you ear on those new metal record where recorded with a standard tune guitar passing through a pitch shifter. 8 strings guitars were use for most of this stuff!!

Did the eventide eclipse suffer with the same latency during pitch shifting? Just asking as that thing has been around since god knows when so someone on the board must own one.

Yes, they all do. The eventide allows you to optimize the delay by letting you specify what your lowest note will be a setting up the slices for pitch shift around that.

I never noticed any latency on an 80s Zoom 9030 or a Boss ME10, seriously. lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the eclipse and the ultra. Very slight latency on both units, but so little as to make very little difference on either, and certainly nothing a listener would notice.. I personally prefer the sound and feel of the pitch shifting on the eclipse by quite a long way. Was kinda hoping the axefx2 would be an improvement in this respect.

I never noticed any latency on an 80s Zoom 9030 or a Boss ME10, seriously. lol :)

It is there. That is how pitch shifters work. Like I said, set to global for pitch source, turn pitch tracking off, and adjust the tracking parameter down as low as it sounds good.

Thx JJ So can't the AXE II do this as well ? I don't think many folks would use the pitch block that much anyway, but if there was any latency it would be unusable in live situations.

Just noticed that you've solved the problem. Man you're good.

Last edited:
I have the eclipse and the ultra. Very slight latency on both units, but so little as to make very little difference on either, and certainly nothing a listener would notice.. I personally prefer the sound and feel of the pitch shifting on the eclipse by quite a long way. Was kinda hoping the axefx2 would be an improvement in this respect.

It is the pitch source set to poly local that is adding the latency. It alllows for some really cools stuff and sounds very good but has more latency.

Thx JJ So can't the AXE II do this as well ? I don't think many folks would use the pitch block that much anyway, but if there was any latency it would be unusable in live situations.

It could but that is not what the problem is here any way. Again pitch source Global - all will be less latent.

Back
Top Bottom