Pitch block Virtual Capo query

chris5150

Inspired
Funny one I have come across before, in general the pitch block as a virtual capo Eb works well in most presets, but then I come across other ones it doesnt seem to work so well, adds some form of metallic kind of echoey ring phaseyness..hard to describe really, but anyway as an example loaded Mark Days new Recto patch ( 8505 in axe change )..great preset, really works well with my setup.
Many of my backing tracks are in Eb, so in this preset I shifted every block along so that i create an empty one right after the input block , which is my understanding of the best place to put the VC. then from my block library I load in the Pitch block VC, (used this time the Pitch block from Burgs King Edward preset ).
I use Control switch 1 to enable the Eb capo.
Try this....dont understand why then the preset has an odd sound with it engaged..is it because there is another pitch block running a chorus detune further along in the chain?..but even with this set to bypass , the odd phasy addition to the sound is the same...the sound is so differant with the block engaged overall
Its not just this preset, I have struggled on a few with adding a block for pitch shift capo...cannot see many settings within the block to alter it much...
So try it , load the preset , add the pitch VC in and see what you find... intrigued by this & how to sort

no preset attached

nobody else has reported this as far as i can tell, so 1) check the pitch block is set to 100% wet and 2) make sure you're not hearing the acoustic sound of your strings at the same time as the preset. turn up or use headphones and see if the problem goes away
you could also copy the pitch block from a preset where it sounds good to you and paste it into a preset where it doesn't

attched preset Simone....do what i did , add the capo pitch block right after the input and see what u think...

Attachments

• p008505_MarksRectoNEWToto.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
At work at mo
Hmmm....will have to have another go tonight...can you post up your patch with it added Simone, then I can compare, and see whats differant in mine etc...very much appreciated
thanks

sorry Simeon....its not the strings, as I mentioned in first post, i have many patches wtih VC working ok, same volumes etc, will record it & post up over the weekend all being well cheers

What I have found is the if I have 2 pitch blocks used, ie pitch block right after the input using Virtual Capo tuned down -1 ( eb ), then the preset uses a 2nd pitch block after the amp & cab for the typical detune ,chorus effect, then it creates the odd shimmer/dissonance. Solved by just turning the pitch block 2 off if using the VC....as I say doesnt seem to like to run 2 pitch effects in series

I know exactly what you're referring to, OP. I hear it clearly in a clean preset. Haven't found any way to get rid of the metallicy-ringiness. I guess I've just learned to live with it. The VC sounds best with overdriven presets.

Im doing whole nights in Eb using the VC, Yes there is something going on when on a clean tone. I noticed it a few times but since 85% of my gig is a overdriven sound its not a big issue. i just figured someone would bring it up and it would eventually work its way out.

Back
Top Bottom