Wish Pitch Block: VG-99/SY 1000 style Preset User Scales (programmable within Custom Shifter) instead of Global User Scales.

Luca9583

Inspired
I'd love to see an addition to the Pitch block that would allow the user to trigger harmonies not based on scales but on the actual note being played.

The VG-99 has a really powerful Harmonist effect that allows you to do just that...so for example, if you play an A, it will give you any two notes you like as a harmony etc etc. The harmonies are set per note and not within a scale, so one note could trigger a 5th and major third from that note, while another note could trigger an ocatve down and 7th above etc etc. It's pretty wild.

Given that the Axe III has a pitch follower, i'm sure this could be implemented as an option in the Quad algorithms of the Pitch Block.

You already have this in the Axe-Fx III. Check out the CUSTOM SHIFTER and User Scales.
It's two voices rather than four, but you have two pitch blocks, so...

You already have this in the Axe-Fx III. Check out the CUSTOM SHIFTER and User Scales.
It's two voices rather than four, but you have two pitch blocks, so...

Thanks M@. Yes the Custom Shifter is similar to the VG-99's Harmonist but you end up using up all the user scales quickly if you want to create a different 4 voice custom harmony per preset, which would be 4 x User Scales per preset, allowing a total of only 8 presets of custom 4 voice harmonies.

On the VG-99, you can have any 4 harmonies you like per preset, and the interface is much easier and faster..you have the "user scale" available to create and edit within the preset.

To reflect my request i've changed the thread title to be a request for Preset User Scales instead of Global
User Scales, and for the ability to create and edit these within Custom Shifter and not in the Global menu.

Also it would be great to be able to name the Custom Scales.

Last edited:
VG-99 user here. I've been asking for this since the Ultra. The ancient Roland GX700 had per-preset user scales and an absolutely amazing user interface to set them up. Super fast and easy. It's one of the few things that Roland got right.

The total number of global user scales hasn't changed since the ultra, nor has the user interface. At some point, you just have to give up on a wish.

VG-99 user here. I've been asking for this since the Ultra. The ancient Roland GX700 had per-preset user scales and an absolutely amazing user interface to set them up. Super fast and easy. It's one of the few things that Roland got right.

The total number of global user scales hasn't changed since the ultra, nor has the user interface. At some point, you just have to give up on a wish.

At some point, perhaps Global User Scales in the Axe could be altered by a Sysex message per note. Using a Midi foot controller, the Sysex messages could be stored pre preset, effectively transforming one single User Scale per preset.

The Axe's Custom Shifter is superb, but it would be great to have per preset Scales.

Back
Top Bottom