Pickup suggestions for Knaggs Severn - H-S-H

i have never actually spoken to Craig, just emails. Turnaround is usually a couple weeks (including delivery) if he’s reasonably busy. Iirc i think it was a week for my tele set.

@Dave Merrill - $4k for your Collings seems very reasonable for your guitar. It's beautiful and I bet it plays and sounds killer. I have a Knaggs Kenai that I bought on Reverb. I paid about $3400 for it several years ago, before I retired. It is a great guitar, but not as beautiful as yours is. My Kenai may not sound as good either, but I like it. It's just over 7 lbs and has the Dave Allen P-51 pickups in it. I love the neck, as well. Here's a pic:

20220618_120638.jpg

I hear you about stress.
I seem to have gone off on the rewarding work thing, but like you, playing guitar is one of the few things that really flips my beanie, has been since 6th grade when I first discovered it. Spending what you can on something that's that important to you is a righteous decision.
I can't agree more. I have several really great instruments. Each has it's own voice. I like getting to know them and finding the best use cases. If I give them a chance then my playing technique is impacted by each voice. When I first got the Kenai above I realized that I didn't like how it looked. And the low output P-51 pickups initially didn't do anything for me. So I tried to sell it at a loss on Craigslist. And no one wanted it unless I was willing to sell it for $1k under what I payed for it. So I gave the guitar another chance. Thank God I never sold it. I love that guitar, how it plays and how it sounds. It's a keeper for life, as far as I'm concerned.

@Dave Merrill - $4k for your Collings seems very reasonable for your guitar. It's beautiful and I bet it plays and sounds killer. I have a Knaggs Kenai that I bought on Reverb. I paid about $3400 for it several years ago, before I retired. It is a great guitar, but not as beautiful as yours is. My Kenai may not sound as good either, but I like it. It's just over 7 lbs and has the Dave Allen P-51 pickups in it. I love the neck, as well. Here's a pic:

View attachment 140635
Nice! Glad you kept it!

Just to say it, my Collings doesn't look quite like that picture the shop took. It's less bright, less red, but still real nice. It's also not effortless to play, which in general isn't something I'd like, but for some reason I can't put my finger on, I still really dig it. And I haven't weighed it, but my gut says it's heavy. But we're good :)

I keep hearing good things about Vineham, definitely look interesting and the clips I've heard sound great.

Absolutely relate to this... there are several, like Throbak, Ron Ellis, Stephens Design, ReWind all look great, clips sound great, but just trying those four would be well over $3K with no guarantee that I'd even like them... $3K+ would go a long way toward a really nice fiddle.

The flip side of that are companies like Vineham, Arcane, Manilus, Sigil, Wolfetone, none of which are terribly expensive, then Monty's, OX4, Wizz that are around the price of BKP or custom shop Duncans. Certainly more affordable but trying multiple sets still adds up pretty quickly.

(And this part is where I was thinking of starting another thread; not trying to hijack this one, but hopefully relevant to the OT.)

And... to what end? I mean, if an accurate PAF replica is the goal, there are so many things that can affect the magnetic circuit, and the originals were a moving target at best. Another option is just a "vintage/lower" output humbucker, but that seems even more nebulous when most seem to be described as either "too modern" or "not vintage enough," even if/when the pickup in question is a completely original concept that deserves more than a cursory comparison to an ill-defined ideal. Without personal experience, it almost seems impossible to make anything other than just a wild guess at what will work.

(Of any of the companies I've mentioned in this post, the only ones I've tried are BKP and Duncan. I have tried other brands, just not the ones I've mentioned directly above.)

(Hopefully) obviously, it's important to know what tone one is looking for (I think the OP defined this very well) and what the guitar itself is capable of (also well-defined here). And... we all play different music, with different hands and different ears. And... recordings are representations of a moment in time, influenced by the recording environment, playback system, and the artifacts of the medium (e.g. YouTube compression, lossy formats, et al).

So, my question is... how does anyone judge what was worthy of spending the time and money to try? I think this is the part that is relevant to the OT and definitely of interest to me.

One way I've done that is to stick with the brands I know (Duncan in my case) and then take a lucky guess and find another that I really liked (BKP in my case). IMHO, Duncan and DiMarzio (EMG only slightly later) were the "original" aftermarket pickups and that was basically all there was before the Internet made marketing much easier for smaller companies. I think it is a GREAT thing that there are so many options these days, but it can also make the decision process much more complex, at least without spending "crazy money for something that I might not even like."

I'm legitimately wondering what works for others (and I know that I'm overthinking this to a large degree).

I think some of the lower cost pickups are using "off-the-shelf" components which indeed don't cost that much to manufacture. I can understand that some companies are recouping costs of having custom components made (magnets, low-carbon steel, etc.) for what could be considered almost museum-quality replicas (how much this actually matters or is actually worth is another debate, but I think maybe even more dependent on what one's ultimate goal is). Thankfully, most companies seem to be somewhere in the middle (but it can still add up without well-educated guesses and a bit of luck).

Anyway... back to the OT... I'm still curious to know what you think of those Wolfetones. I think word of mouth is at least as good as the best online clips. And I know exactly what you mean about not having a lot of time and being a crazy week. Been that way on my end, too. 😵‍💫
Yeah, tone is in the ear of the beholder. What I like may not work for you, and what you like may not work for me. About 25 years ago I traded a local luthier a computer for a custom built Les Paul style guitar. The luthier was youngish and worked in a place called Gilmer Wood Company in Portland. I met him when I went looking for a piece of quilted maple for the front of a custom made amp cabinet that the bass player in the band I was in was building for me. I got to talking to guy at the wood store and he shared that he built guitars. One thing led to another and he built me a guitar. The build took me 3 years to get. The builder didn't have a spray booth for finishing the guitar, so he contracted with Saul Koll, of Koll guitars (great guitars, by the way) to do the finish. The guitar was beautiful, a translucent pink that showed for the wood grain beautifully. It was also so heavy that it about caved in my shoulder. I never weighed it, but I'm guessing that it was about 11 lbs. Maybe I'm exagerating, but according to my memory it was at least that. The neck fit my hand perfectly though. It was a mahogany maple capped body, and that guitar had a shrill tone that just didn't sound good to me. I must have put in at least 6 different sets of pickups, but none of them fixed the problem. The closest I got to making the guitar sound good was using a set of Harmonic Design Z90 pixkups. They are Humbucker sized P90s, but more refined than the typical P90. I have a set in a Kenai J (not the red and black one). They sound like a cross between a P90 and a tele. I love those pickups. But they sound unique and they aren't for everyone. The 11 lb. guitar was eventually stolen from my apartment.

I'm not sure how that long story is necessarily relevant, other than this experience was a reminder to me that a guitar is the sum of it's parts, and that there is a synergy amongst the parts. Changing any one part impacts the final output. This is an obvious statement, I guess. But the point is that changing pickups may or may not help the final outcome. I'm still trying to figure out the voice of the Severn. I'm not going to get to installing the Wolfetones for a couple of days, but maybe they will work in this guitar. Or the Vineham's perhaps. I've also been looking at these - Shedd Pickups. They have a set called HA-59s. They cost rounghly the same as BK pickups. I may give these a try as well. Here's a link if you're curious.

https://shedpickups.co.uk/products/shed-ha-59-paf-set

I have 4 Knaggs guitars. I paid about $1900 for my Kenai J. It was like new when I bought it locally from someone on Craigslist. Man, what an incredible guitar. It just has mojo.

I have 4 different Knaggs guitars and every one of them has it's own voice and every one of them plays great. You can find deals on Knaggs guitars, apparently because they don't have the reputation of better known brands. Joe Knaggs, the namesake of the company, worked for PRS for 20 years. While I don't like PRS guitars much, I am a huge Knaggs fan.

As an example of how Knaggs guitars are priced low, I only payed $1500 for the Severn. The electronics were in sorry shape and I had to drive almost 3 hours each way to buy it. But this is a killer deal and an amazing guitar. I initially didn't believe the price in the ad when I saw it on Craigslist. I figured it had to be a scam. I wrote two or three email to the seller and never heard back, until about 2 weeks later he sent me an email letting me know that the guitar was still available. It turns out that he had all kings of guitars and amps in his house. He was trying to downsize and no one would buy the Knaggs. I happily took it off his hands. It came with the original case, trem bar, and key for the case. I may end up selling this one, but I'm not in a hurry. I'll see what happens with the pickup replacement saga before I decide what to do.. I really didn't have the money to buy the Severn, but the price was so good I couldn't pass it up. I'm lucky my wife is a kind and gracious soul.

Can you point me to a wiring diagram? I have a 5-way super switch, but I don't have a push pull pot. Would need to pick one of those up. I didn't like the N+B inside coil so much on these pickups. There is a metallic "clang" on pick attack. I don't like that sound much, at least with these pickups.

The Hyperswitch allows all of these sorts of adjustments, but you have to program it to exist on one of the positions on the 5-way switch. In one sense it isn't as convenient as the configuration that you're talking about, because there are only 5 configurations available at any given time. But the BlueTooth configuration app on my Android phone works well. It's kind of cool, really. Here's a link. That down side is that it costs a bundle. But I bought it before I retired, and it works well in a H-S-H guitar, especially if the Humbuckers have 4 conductor wires. Here's a link to Seymour Duncan site if you're curious to learn more about the switch.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/hyperswitch

I would have to draw it. If you want Middle/B+N HB/B+N split (outside) for the middle switch spot, you will need a 4p2t special on/on/on toggle.

If you only want N+B and to choose between HB and split, you can get away with a normal pull switch pot or a 2p2t toggle.

Does the single in the middle spot have the N or S pole at the top of the pickup?

Last edited:
This could work:
20240522_001737.jpg

If the middle pickup is North up and winding direction matches for in-phase operation.
NOTE: it is important to run separate wires from the 2p2t commons back to the middle lugs on the 4p5t, as you end up with unintended connections between things if you don't.

Tone pots are set up for N and N+B on the first tone pot, and N+M and B+M on the second. Other things are possible, but this works very well on my blue Strat....

If the middle pickup is not North up and correct winding direction, there are things we can do with rotating pickups and/or swapping wires (or flipping HB magnets, if you're brave) to make it work.

To have the possibility of the middle pickup alone, you need a 4p2t special on-on-on toggle and a bit more complicated diagram....

If it were my guitar, I would add an extra 180pf (not shown on the diagram) back to the volume pot output from each of the unused pot lugs on the tone pot, to add a bit more treble bypass to the existing one on the volume put, so that you can add a bit of extra zing on the N, N+M, N+B, and M+B combinations if needed. Bridge gets just the 180pF. You can also sub your favorite treble bypass for the 180pF ones I spec'ed.

Last edited:
I just purchased my first Knaggs guitar a few weeks ago it is a Severn XF HSS with a JB in the Bridge and SD Antiquity Texas Special in the middle and neck.

I like the neck and the middle but not quite sold on the JB although I can understand why they are liked would sound great with a Marshall 800. I think I prefer a less hot pickup as I find the treble although present not as open as I'd like. I actually prefer the overall tone of the JB of it when split.

I've been in contact with Bareknuckle (who are always super helpful) who have suggested an Emerald so think I'm going to give that a go. It will be going to a tech as the wiring is a little strange for me as when the tone pot is down it is in split mode so it like a SSS, but when tone is up (full humbucker) the neck pickup is connected to the split bridge.

Just FYI Knaggs posted a video on instagram of Steve Stevens of his Knaggs Severn XF and the pickup in there is a custom Bareknuckle based on a Mule

This could work:
20240522_001737.jpg

If the middle pickup is North up and winding direction matches for in-phase operation.
NOTE: it is important to run separate wires from the 2p2t commons back to the middle lugs on the 4p5t, as you end up with unintended connections between things if you don't.

Tone pots are set up for N and N+B on the first tone pot, and N+M and B+M on the second. Other things are possible, but this works very well on my blue Strat....

If the middle pickup is not North up and correct winding direction, there are things we can do with rotating pickups and/or swapping wires (or flipping HB magnets, if you're brave) to make it work.

To have the possibility of the middle pickup alone, you need a 2p4t special on-on-on toggle and a bit more complicated diagram....

If it were my guitar, I would add an extra 180pf (not shown on the diagram) back to the volume pot output from each of the unused pot lugs on the tone pot, to add a bit more treble bypass to the existing one on the volume put, so that you can add a bit of extra zing on the N, N+M, N+B, and M+B combinations if needed. Bridge gets just the 180pF. You can also sub your favorite treble bypass for the 180pF ones I spec'ed.
Very nicely done wiring diagram. Thank you for taking the time to draw it out. I will keep this in mind. I have to install the Wolftones before I decide what's next.

The 11 lb. guitar was eventually stolen from my apartment.

I've also been looking at these - Shedd Pickups. They have a set called HA-59s. They cost rounghly the same as BK pickups. I may give these a try as well. Here's a link if you're curious.

Thieves suck... sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the link, too! I've heard of them before but am taking another look.

This could work.

That's really cool, thank for taking the time to draw this up and send it out!

Just FYI Knaggs posted a video on instagram of Steve Stevens of his Knaggs Severn XF and the pickup in there is a custom Bareknuckle based on a Mule

Possibly the BKP Rebel Yell? That's his signature model and seems to be partway between The Mule and an A-Bomb. It's pretty hot, but really open and more vintage sounding. I've got a couple of sets in various guitars and they are just incredible! That was actually my first BKP.

OK - check out this review of Shed Pickups:

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/shed-pickups-ha-59-paf-set

Here is a link to the Shed Pickups website:

At least from the review, these are now contenders. But I have the Vinehams on order. So we'll see . . .

I wasn't aware he was back in business, if that's who I'm thinking of. I remember hearing a lot of good buzz about him, but that he'd dropped out. Sounds like he's got some backing now, which should help. That was a really good review, gonna have to see if I can find any decent demos.

If it hasn't been obvious, I've been on a little PAF search myself lately. Tons of options out there, more than a few that sound and look really good, and some really high-priced things, too. Still haven't decided if or how much I want to invest in this, and I already have some that I really like, but that's part of the reason I've been enjoying this thread and why I have all the links saved.

Well, while I'm at it, why not... here're the more expensive options I've been looking at, too... crazy money...

https://www.throbak.com/paf-pickups-throbak-kz-115.html

https://www.ronellispickups.com/collections/humbuckers/products/lrp-humbucker

http://sdpickups.com/humbuckers.shtml

Then there's Tom Holmes, which are only available used AFAIK, but not impossible to find (like OTPG), or... <gasp> the Gibson 1959 Collector's Edition.

GAS is a terrible mistress... :eek:

Thieves suck... sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the link, too! I've heard of them before but am taking another look.

That's really cool, thank for taking the time to draw this up and send it out!

Possibly the BKP Rebel Yell? That's his signature model and seems to be partway between The Mule and an A-Bomb. It's pretty hot, but really open and more vintage sounding. I've got a couple of sets in various guitars and they are just incredible! That was actually my first BKP.
You would think they were the Rebels Yell but they didn't say that when I asked specifically which I thought was a bit strange. The SS model on the Knaggs website does state Rebel Yells but from I've watched a few interviews with SS and I get the impressions he doesn't specifically use the Rebel Yells that much.

I was experimenting with pickup heights with the my Knaggs last night and the SD TB4 seems to like being close to the strings (2mm on bass and treble side and I've adjusted the pole pieces from A to B which I sometimes do) - it is starting to grow on my but I still think it has a little too much low mid for me - I do like the tone when it is split though.
So I might not go with the Emerald as a lot of forums are saying that they are really bright - so maybe a Holy diver, Rebel Yell or even an Aftermath.

FWIW, I found the Emeralds to be pretty bright and a kinda compressed, neither necessarily being a bad thing, but in combination, it was a bit much. I still like them, but the guitar I had them (Gibson SG) in ended up being better suited to a set of Riff Raffs. I think they could be really good in a darker guitar.

You might want to take a glance at the Crawler, too, as another option. It's about the same output as a Rebel Yell, just a bit smoother and a touch more balanced, otherwise fairly similar. I haven't put them through an analyzer, but I'd guess the Crawler has slightly stronger low-mids or the RY has slightly stronger upper-mids, but still pretty close. Neither is scooped or overly modern and both have that BKP clarity. I've found that, if one set doesn't work well in a particular guitar, the other set will.

Back
Top Bottom