Pickup suggestions for Knaggs Severn - H-S-H

Throwing Vineham in the mix for handmade pickups. He will make custom sets as well like others in the field.

Wolfetone is a great deal stateside, less so for us Canucks lol. Havent tried a set of his pickups but long time forum friends swear by them.

Throwing Vineham in the mix for handmade pickups. He will make custom sets as well like others in the field.

Wolfetone is a great deal stateside, less so for us Canucks lol. Havent tried a set of his pickups but long time forum friends swear by them.
Really can't go wrong with Wolfetone. Their warranty info includes this: "We also cover Zombie Apocalypse.". Not making this up.

Last edited:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try the Wolfetone set I already have. I don't have time this weekend to install them, but I'll install the Wolfetone pickups some time this coming week.

I took down my post of the recordings. Too much wankery and no organized comparison. I'm going to do some short, simple clips showing the different tonal options. The Hyperswitch is a really cool switch. It offers a lot of variations that can be programmed using Bluetooth and a smartphone. It's expensive though. But this Knaggs is the only guitar I own with an H-S-H configuration.

I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the info.
The cad-usd conversion is real haha. I have had a few of his pickups over the last few years (broadcaster, brown noser, royal, granite) and enjoy them. Next I may try his sweet59 (maybe do a customized set) as A2 PAFs and me get along great.

@Budda & @Dave Merrill - have either of you tried Vineham pickups? If yes, which models have you purchased and installed? The price is amazing. I wonder how they can sell them so cheap without sacrificing quality. I saw that the Throbak pickup sets run about $750 a set. I'm sorry, but I'm in no position to spend that kind of money on a set of pickups. $450 is bad enough for a set of Bare Knuckles pickups. $150 for a set seems too good to be true. I'm wondering "what's the catch?"

I'm curious how you think these pickups compare to others you've used.

The cad-usd conversion is real haha. I have had a few of his pickups over the last few years (broadcaster, brown noser, royal, granite) and enjoy them. Next I may try his sweet59 (maybe do a customized set) as A2 PAFs and me get along great.
Yeah, I'm thinking of buying a set of the Sweet 59s - for $150, that's pretty low risk. But I wonder how they sound compared to other options. $150 is cheap, but it's still a lot of money to throw away if the pickups turn out to be sub-par. My guess is that they have really poor resale value, if only due to having limited to no reputation.

Ive got a bunch of clips posted on my soundcloud. Ive had burstbuckers, royals and another cdn winder in my R9 - slightly different flavours of PAF.

Its not his main job and hes not trying to be seen as a luxury brand. Pickups arent expensive to make afaik.

Same resale value as duncans or dimarzios - 70% or so of new.

@Budda & @Dave Merrill - have either of you tried Vineham pickups? If yes, which models have you purchased and installed? The price is amazing. I wonder how they can sell them so cheap without sacrificing quality. I saw that the Throbak pickup sets run about $750 a set. I'm sorry, but I'm in no position to spend that kind of money on a set of pickups. $450 is bad enough for a set of Bare Knuckles pickups. $150 for a set seems too good to be true. I'm wondering "what's the catch?"

I'm curious how you think these pickups compare to others you've used.
Never tried Vinehams, no, but this thread makes me want to :) It feels like some sort of sacrilege to replace the pickups in my EJ, but tbh, while I like the guitar, I don't really get how to make great bridge tones with it and still have the other positions sound good. Maybe should talk to Vinehams about that.

I hear you on Throbak pricing! My used Collings was like 4x what I've paid for a guitar in my life, ever (70th birthday present to myself), and I really dug and dig it, and it came with them, or I doubt I'd ever have had anything to do with them. Great rep though.

Last edited:
Never tried Vinehams, no, but this thread makes me want to :) It feels like some sort of sacrilege to replace the pickups in my EJ, but tbh, whole I like the guitar, I don't really get hit to make great bridge tones with it and still have the other positions sound good. Maybe should talk to Vinehams about that.

I hear you on Throbak pricing! My Collings was like 4x what I've paid for a guitar in my life, ever (70th birthday present to myself), and I really dug and dig it, and it came with them, or I doubt I'd ever have had anything to do with them. Great rep though.
Yeah, I've heard good things about Throbak pickups for a long time. But $750 a set is crazy money for something that I might not even like. Maybe if I win the lottery.

What kind of Collings did you buy?

Wow - that's a beauty! Amazing build. Congratulations!

I enjoy guitar enough that I don't give myself too much crap when it comes to buying a nice instrument. I've had a lot of lower cost instruments. Some were great, many not so much. Money won't do me any good when I'm dead. I might as well enjoy it now. Within reason, I guess. No $750 pickups that I can foresee in my near future. :)

Never tried Vinehams, no, but this thread makes me want to :)

I keep hearing good things about Vineham, definitely look interesting and the clips I've heard sound great.

Yeah, I've heard good things about Throbak pickups for a long time. But $750 a set is crazy money for something that I might not even like.

Absolutely relate to this... there are several, like Throbak, Ron Ellis, Stephens Design, ReWind all look great, clips sound great, but just trying those four would be well over $3K with no guarantee that I'd even like them... $3K+ would go a long way toward a really nice fiddle.

The flip side of that are companies like Vineham, Arcane, Manilus, Sigil, Wolfetone, none of which are terribly expensive, then Monty's, OX4, Wizz that are around the price of BKP or custom shop Duncans. Certainly more affordable but trying multiple sets still adds up pretty quickly.

(And this part is where I was thinking of starting another thread; not trying to hijack this one, but hopefully relevant to the OT.)

And... to what end? I mean, if an accurate PAF replica is the goal, there are so many things that can affect the magnetic circuit, and the originals were a moving target at best. Another option is just a "vintage/lower" output humbucker, but that seems even more nebulous when most seem to be described as either "too modern" or "not vintage enough," even if/when the pickup in question is a completely original concept that deserves more than a cursory comparison to an ill-defined ideal. Without personal experience, it almost seems impossible to make anything other than just a wild guess at what will work.

(Of any of the companies I've mentioned in this post, the only ones I've tried are BKP and Duncan. I have tried other brands, just not the ones I've mentioned directly above.)

(Hopefully) obviously, it's important to know what tone one is looking for (I think the OP defined this very well) and what the guitar itself is capable of (also well-defined here). And... we all play different music, with different hands and different ears. And... recordings are representations of a moment in time, influenced by the recording environment, playback system, and the artifacts of the medium (e.g. YouTube compression, lossy formats, et al).

So, my question is... how does anyone judge what was worthy of spending the time and money to try? I think this is the part that is relevant to the OT and definitely of interest to me.

One way I've done that is to stick with the brands I know (Duncan in my case) and then take a lucky guess and find another that I really liked (BKP in my case). IMHO, Duncan and DiMarzio (EMG only slightly later) were the "original" aftermarket pickups and that was basically all there was before the Internet made marketing much easier for smaller companies. I think it is a GREAT thing that there are so many options these days, but it can also make the decision process much more complex, at least without spending "crazy money for something that I might not even like."

I'm legitimately wondering what works for others (and I know that I'm overthinking this to a large degree).

I think some of the lower cost pickups are using "off-the-shelf" components which indeed don't cost that much to manufacture. I can understand that some companies are recouping costs of having custom components made (magnets, low-carbon steel, etc.) for what could be considered almost museum-quality replicas (how much this actually matters or is actually worth is another debate, but I think maybe even more dependent on what one's ultimate goal is). Thankfully, most companies seem to be somewhere in the middle (but it can still add up without well-educated guesses and a bit of luck).

Anyway... back to the OT... I'm still curious to know what you think of those Wolfetones. I think word of mouth is at least as good as the best online clips. And I know exactly what you mean about not having a lot of time and being a crazy week. Been that way on my end, too. 😵‍💫

@lscottk I used my R9 as a test bed as it was used and didnt come with custombuckers.

Burstbuckers - yep thats “les paul tone” to me

Vineham royals A3 - les paul tone but a little brighter, more noticeable difference in the neck pickup versus BB but not a huge change overall.

Mike Turk “new 59 PAF” (he had done some pickups for marks guitar loft that went well) - similar to the burstbuckers, a little darker than the royals however not some drastic tonal shift just like before.

The MT’s cost me the most. I have clips of multiple les pauls with the BB’s and Royals. The tone change is apparent by itself but I would not describe it as “huge” or “transformed the guitar” like say a marketing dept.

I tried a gotoh abr2 bridge and that had a larger tonal effect than the pickup swap did.

The Turks are in the R9 now - partially because I dont feel like putting another set in, partially because I am not worried about an extra 5% potential improvement for twice to 3x the cost of the set for a used throback or rewind.

James (ReWind) posts a lot on MLP and is very knowledgeable and happy to share his expertise. For that reason I can see myself trying a pickup if I have that kind of money to drop with no guitar, amp or pedal on the radar.

Diminishing returns is there just like with the rest of the signal chain. I have never been so dissatisfied or tone hunting that a production pickup didnt get me where I wanted to be. I think part of the appeal with $$$$ boutique winders is optional NOS parts.

Actually kinda dig the sounds you're getting with these, but then again, I spent the last half of the '90s with a JB and two Texas Specials in a Shoreline Gold Lone Star Strat with a replacement pickguard that located the middle pickup correctly (stock Lone Star was a bit too far from the bridge).

If it were mine, I'd use a 4p5t super Strat switch and a 4p2t special on-on-on to switch position 3 from N+B full HB to N+B split (outside coils) to N+B split (inside coils.

I don't currently have an HSH guitar to try that in.... 🤔
Can you point me to a wiring diagram? I have a 5-way super switch, but I don't have a push pull pot. Would need to pick one of those up. I didn't like the N+B inside coil so much on these pickups. There is a metallic "clang" on pick attack. I don't like that sound much, at least with these pickups.

The Hyperswitch allows all of these sorts of adjustments, but you have to program it to exist on one of the positions on the 5-way switch. In one sense it isn't as convenient as the configuration that you're talking about, because there are only 5 configurations available at any given time. But the BlueTooth configuration app on my Android phone works well. It's kind of cool, really. Here's a link. That down side is that it costs a bundle. But I bought it before I retired, and it works well in a H-S-H guitar, especially if the Humbuckers have 4 conductor wires. Here's a link to Seymour Duncan site if you're curious to learn more about the switch.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/hyperswitch

I keep hearing good things about Vineham, definitely look interesting and the clips I've heard sound great.

Absolutely relate to this... there are several, like Throbak, Ron Ellis, Stephens Design, ReWind all look great, clips sound great, but just trying those four would be well over $3K with no guarantee that I'd even like them... $3K+ would go a long way toward a really nice fiddle.

The flip side of that are companies like Vineham, Arcane, Manilus, Sigil, Wolfetone, none of which are terribly expensive, then Monty's, OX4, Wizz that are around the price of BKP or custom shop Duncans. Certainly more affordable but trying multiple sets still adds up pretty quickly.

(And this part is where I was thinking of starting another thread; not trying to hijack this one, but hopefully relevant to the OT.)

And... to what end? I mean, if an accurate PAF replica is the goal, there are so many things that can affect the magnetic circuit, and the originals were a moving target at best. Another option is just a "vintage/lower" output humbucker, but that seems even more nebulous when most seem to be described as either "too modern" or "not vintage enough," even if/when the pickup in question is a completely original concept that deserves more than a cursory comparison to an ill-defined ideal. Without personal experience, it almost seems impossible to make anything other than just a wild guess at what will work.

(Of any of the companies I've mentioned in this post, the only ones I've tried are BKP and Duncan. I have tried other brands, just not the ones I've mentioned directly above.)

(Hopefully) obviously, it's important to know what tone one is looking for (I think the OP defined this very well) and what the guitar itself is capable of (also well-defined here). And... we all play different music, with different hands and different ears. And... recordings are representations of a moment in time, influenced by the recording environment, playback system, and the artifacts of the medium (e.g. YouTube compression, lossy formats, et al).

So, my question is... how does anyone judge what was worthy of spending the time and money to try? I think this is the part that is relevant to the OT and definitely of interest to me.

One way I've done that is to stick with the brands I know (Duncan in my case) and then take a lucky guess and find another that I really liked (BKP in my case). IMHO, Duncan and DiMarzio (EMG only slightly later) were the "original" aftermarket pickups and that was basically all there was before the Internet made marketing much easier for smaller companies. I think it is a GREAT thing that there are so many options these days, but it can also make the decision process much more complex, at least without spending "crazy money for something that I might not even like."

I'm legitimately wondering what works for others (and I know that I'm overthinking this to a large degree).

I think some of the lower cost pickups are using "off-the-shelf" components which indeed don't cost that much to manufacture. I can understand that some companies are recouping costs of having custom components made (magnets, low-carbon steel, etc.) for what could be considered almost museum-quality replicas (how much this actually matters or is actually worth is another debate, but I think maybe even more dependent on what one's ultimate goal is). Thankfully, most companies seem to be somewhere in the middle (but it can still add up without well-educated guesses and a bit of luck).

Anyway... back to the OT... I'm still curious to know what you think of those Wolfetones. I think word of mouth is at least as good as the best online clips. And I know exactly what you mean about not having a lot of time and being a crazy week. Been that way on my end, too. 😵‍💫
I bought a set of Vineman's. Sweet 59s in the neck and bridge and a Texas Red middle for the middle position. I called and spoke to Craig at Vineham yesterday. He answered my call with "Hello". I had to ask if he was with Vineham pickups. :) He was extremely nice. Very low key. So I bought a set... He told me that he's on a long weekend and won't get started on winding these pickups until Tuesday. He's going to send me a PayPal request when it's time to pay. I'm not sure when they will arrive. I'll post some clips once I get them installed. A set of H-S-H pickups will cost about $200 USD. I know, it's a disease. G.A.S.

@Joe Bfstplk - I know, there are some good tones in there. It isn't what I hope to get out of that guitar, though.

I have to say that I initially didn't like the Severn much. But it's really growing on me. It has it's own voice. It's a mahogany body with a maple cap, like a double cutaway Les Paul. But it has a 25.5" scale, so it is longer scale length than a Les Paul. The action is a little high to my taste after the 7th fret. I'm going to try adjusting the truss rod this week. I was going to use it for band practice today, but I decided I wasn't ready for it. I just joined this band about a month ago, and I'm still getting to know everybody. It's a bunch of old duffers like myself. with the exception of the singer, who must be in her mid-30s. She has a great voice. But I'm still figuring out how I fit in. I didn't want to try a new guitar yet, especially with the action being a bit high. My fingers "stumble" when I'm trying to play lead leans in the higher registers.

I've though about getting this guitar plek'd. The only place nearby is Mike Lull's Guitar Works, which is about an hour North of me (on a good traffic day). They want over $400 for the Plek job. I may splurge at some point. But I'm going to try and improve the action myself before I fork over that kind of dough for a "setup".

I love playing guitar. It's one of the few things in my life that has brought me joy and personal satisfaction. My stressful IT job certainly didn't. So I make peace with spending so much money on a "hobby" that I love and that brings joy to my soul. But sometimes I still give myself shit about how much I spend. So @Dave Merrill I get where you're coming from about your Collings. I have to tell you that the photos you shared are some of the most beautiful Les Paul pics I've seen. What a wonderful guitar. I'm glad that you got it for yourself. It's a work of art. I don't know what you paid for it, but whatever it was, at least from the pics, it was worth it.

I love playing guitar. It's one of the few things in my life that has brought me joy and personal satisfaction. My stressful IT job certainly didn't. So I make peace with spending so much money on a "hobby" that I love and that brings joy to my soul.

This... 1000%... more... That's what it's all about. Playing guitar defines who I am. My earliest memories are of playing a little plastic toy guitar. It's all I've ever wanted to do. So, I sometimes spend more than a "reasonable" person would and have a ridiculous amount of gear. But, it makes me happy and I've worked hard to be able to do so. Sounds like you have, too. But, it's not about the money, it's about being able to express who we are. What each of us chooses to spend is a completely personal decision. When I see something like your Severn or Dave Merrill's Collings, my first thought is that I can see the joy that this "hobby" brings to us. And yeah, that Collings is a work of art, as is your Severn!

I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of those Vinehams! Sounds like a great company to do business with and I've heard many good things about them!

I bought a set of Vineman's. Sweet 59s in the neck and bridge and a Texas Red middle for the middle position. I called and spoke to Craig at Vineham yesterday. He answered my call with "Hello". I had to ask if he was with Vineham pickups. :) He was extremely nice. Very low key. So I bought a set... He told me that he's on a long weekend and won't get started on winding these pickups until Tuesday. He's going to send me a PayPal request when it's time to pay. I'm not sure when they will arrive. I'll post some clips once I get them installed. A set of H-S-H pickups will cost about $200 USD. I know, it's a disease. G.A.S.

@Joe Bfstplk - I know, there are some good tones in there. It isn't what I hope to get out of that guitar, though.

I have to say that I initially didn't like the Severn much. But it's really growing on me. It has it's own voice. It's a mahogany body with a maple cap, like a double cutaway Les Paul. But it has a 25.5" scale, so it is longer scale length than a Les Paul. The action is a little high to my taste after the 7th fret. I'm going to try adjusting the truss rod this week. I was going to use it for band practice today, but I decided I wasn't ready for it. I just joined this band about a month ago, and I'm still getting to know everybody. It's a bunch of old duffers like myself. with the exception of the singer, who must be in her mid-30s. She has a great voice. But I'm still figuring out how I fit in. I didn't want to try a new guitar yet, especially with the action being a bit high. My fingers "stumble" when I'm trying to play lead leans in the higher registers.

I've though about getting this guitar plek'd. The only place nearby is Mike Lull's Guitar Works, which is about an hour North of me (on a good traffic day). They want over $400 for the Plek job. I may splurge at some point. But I'm going to try and improve the action myself before I fork over that kind of dough for a "setup".

I love playing guitar. It's one of the few things in my life that has brought me joy and personal satisfaction. My stressful IT job certainly didn't. So I make peace with spending so much money on a "hobby" that I love and that brings joy to my soul. But sometimes I still give myself shit about how much I spend. So @Dave Merrill I get where you're coming from about your Collings. I have to tell you that the photos you shared are some of the most beautiful Les Paul pics I've seen. What a wonderful guitar. I'm glad that you got it for yourself. It's a work of art. I don't know what you paid for it, but whatever it was, at least from the pics, it was worth it.
Semi OT. I used to do music professionally, and sound, and custom musical electronics, but when our daughter was born I didn't want to be on the road any more. I ended up in IT, like a lot of folks here. Worked various places, spent way too long at one that was super stressful and awful. Was plotting my escape, but before I actually did it, one day I couldn't take the boss one more second, just up and quit. After a while I ended up where I am now, a great non-profit. Still stressful, but I'm good at what I do (I think?), and I build stuff that's genuinely useful to people who are doing good work. This is what I wanted, to make a living doing something that helps the world, instead of just making someone else money.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying, find your place. Sure you probably need to make a living, but don't sell yourself short, make it something rewarding if you possibly can.

/soapbox

I've never played a Knaggs, or even seen one in the flesh, but they sure look and sound good on Larry Mitchell, for instance. When you get yours set up how you like, and settle into it for a while, I bet you'll really like it a lot.

My Collings was a bit over $4k used, way more than I've ever spent on a guitar before, but zero regrets. I hope yours works out :)

I seem to have gone off on the rewarding work thing, but like you, playing guitar is one of the few things that really flips my beanie, has been since 6th grade when I first discovered it. Spending what you can on something that's that important to you is a righteous decision.

Back
Top Bottom