Pickup selector question

Hello :)

You can use pretty much any 5 way swich for that, (not the superswitch model, well you can use that too but it makes it a little more confusing ) I would say buy a switch from the middle / upper price/quality range ... the first one in the list will do just fine .. the only thing you have to be aware of is to make sure it doesn't short out if it physically too big.

Meaning if you have some kind of shielding going on in the body of the guitar you have to make sure that no part of the switch doesn't touch the "walls or bottom" of the body. If that's the case, just isolate it with electrical tape or something like that.

But most likely you can just solder it and mount it and play ..

:)

for example
The first one in the list will work fine .. the fender style
or the Eyb EL007 5-Way Mega Swich

Good luck and let me know if you need any assistance

Last edited:
But does that switch works with the specific Ibanez 5 positions wiring for dual humbuckers ? Someone in another forum recommend me the super switch instead

But does that switch works with the specific Ibanez 5 positions wiring for dual humbuckers ?
Every switch will work with every pickup combination (full humbucking in series/parallel, coilsplitting etc.) - it's up to you how you solder the wires.

Someone in another forum recommend me the super switch instead
There's no need of using super/mega switch (whatever it's called) if you have only five pickup combinations in your guitar. I have a megaswitch in my strat, but for me it was necessity since I have two 5-way circuits (HSH/SSS) selected with push-push tone pot.

For simple 3 or 5 way pickup combinations simple switch will do just fine.

But does that switch works with the specific Ibanez 5 positions wiring for dual humbuckers ? Someone in another forum recommend me the super switch instead
The super switch is really cool, so many different options with 4 conductor pickups. If you're wanting series or parallel wiring, that would be my suggestion as well. It should fit in an Ibanez RG without any mods.
I chased my tail trying to wire according to a couple Ibanez wiring diagrams with both the Fender and import style 5-ways and didn't have any success. I don't know if Ibanez had switches made for them to allow proprietary switching combinations.
If you want just basic coil tap, here's a schematic I've used for the Fender 5-way
http://www.philgawen.com/images/2hb_1vol_1tone_5way_copy.gif

I think a lot of the RG series have a proprietary switch that allows positions 2 and 4 to have some combination of coils split and/or in parallel.
For example, my early-2000s RG7421 has the following configuration:
upload_2016-6-8_11-38-49.png

Go here: http://www2.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams
Select the year of your guitar's manufacture (I guessed 2000) and then the model (RG520).
In the corner of the wiring diagram that comes up it shows:

upload_2016-6-8_11-41-56.png

It looks like 1,3,5 are standard, but 2 is neck split, and 4 is both pickups split.

Back
Top Bottom