Pickslanting ?

I want to play faster and cleaner. I'm currently using some of Wu-Flu down time to relearn how to pick.

What I'm finding is that pick angle and slant has a huge effect on speed...but also on tone. My default is slight upward pick slanting, with the pick almost perfectly parallel to the strings. This makes for good tone and short bursts of speed, but trips me up on longer runs. If I force myself to follow conventional wisdom (angle the pick 20-30 degrees, change pick slant direction as needed) the speed comes quickly and the tripping hazards are gone....but the tone suffers. Well, suffers may be the wrong word. The pick attack is sharper and raspier. It's a different sound for the tool box, but not what I always want. So much for having one consistent technique...
Try different picks. Thicker/thinner. Different materials (ultex, tortex, bone, metal), different shapes.

I went through many, many, many different picks before finding what I was looking for in the Primetone 1.44 mm Sculpted Jazz III. My search was the result of what you are describing: the impact of picking technique on tone, particularly pick attack.

I briefly checked out Troy Grady and pick slanting. His work, in my opinion is great to get you thinking about your picking technique. I believe that understanding why things are happening helps you to identify areas of opportunity and improve your technique.

The whole “exit“ angle and not getting stuck between strings is important. The pick slanting concepts that Troy teaches are a method to achieve that end, but...

I found that this pick slanting technique was something I had already organically picked up but with a modification. I also rotate the tip of my pick towards the bridge of the guitar. I am striking the string with the side of the pick right at the tip. I find this makes several enhancements:
  • It virtually eliminates getting your pick “trapped” between the strings
  • The shape of the pick gives mechanical advantage, easing the transition of the pick over the string and eliminating having the pick “hang up” on a string
  • It makes getting a good ”exit angle” when hopping strings easier. The pick is shorter and the clearance needed is less.
  • Requires less energy to pluck a string. This allows a more controlled and ”tighter” pick stroke which translates to increased pick speed and fluidity.
  • Allows lighter grip on the pick while still maintaining a solid hold of the pick. Less tension when playing is a good thing IME.
The main downside that I have noticed to rotating the pick is a softer attack. This can be tuned by auditioning thicker picks of different materials until you find the pick attack you like.

jVFPXdh.jpg

I agree with earlier statements: there are multiple techniques to solve these problems. I do think Troy’s material is great because it gets you to focus on what you are doing and thinking about how to improve your technique.

i tried doing this - slanting the pick slightly inward - it was totally awkward for me and I couldn't play anything ! i tried it the other way as some have suggested towards the nut - slightly better - but still really hard for me.
I'm not looking to play yngwie stuff - just want to be able to play a little faster.
Also as others have said, synchronization is key - fortunately, thats one of my stronger points. I actually follow Claus Levin quite a bit and he has some good exercises on hand synchronization. He takes a little different approach - I don't think he subscribes to the whole slanting thing -he has a interesting way of avoiding the next string by using accents. Hes a pretty fast player in his own right.
Like I said - if anything comes of this, its me being much more aware of what my right hand is doing.

@Capt Nasty 's suggestions were helpful for me. Pointing the pick slightly to the bridge did exactly what he described, but I think this stuff is very much affected by body geometry and the idiosyncrasies of your picking hand. There's a video on YouTube...something like 'shredders with the craziest picking technique'. Although intended as comedy, it sums the whole thing up nicely.

@Capt Nasty 's suggestions were helpful for me. Pointing the pick slightly to the bridge did exactly what he described, but I think this stuff is very much affected by body geometry and the idiosyncrasies of your picking hand. There's a video on YouTube...something like 'shredders with the craziest picking technique'. Although intended as comedy, it sums the whole thing up nicely.
Yes, it is a complex and idiosyncratic equation. I think the win is that you start consciously focusing on your picking technique and start making intentional adjustments to achieve your goals. A lot of ways to get to solid picking techniques and none of them are wrong if they allow you to play what you want to play.

i tried doing this - slanting the pick slightly inward - it was totally awkward for me and I couldn't play anything ! i tried it the other way as some have suggested towards the nut - slightly better - but still really hard for me.
I'm not looking to play yngwie stuff - just want to be able to play a little faster.
Also as others have said, synchronization is key - fortunately, thats one of my stronger points. I actually follow Claus Levin quite a bit and he has some good exercises on hand synchronization. He takes a little different approach - I don't think he subscribes to the whole slanting thing -he has a interesting way of avoiding the next string by using accents. Hes a pretty fast player in his own right.
Like I said - if anything comes of this, its me being much more aware of what my right hand is doing.
It will be awkward at first. It took me several months to really get comfortable with the pick rotated. If you expect to make fundamental changes to your techniques and for it to immediately flow, then you have unrealistic expectations.

Synchronization is important. It will provide fluidity and feel. Synchronization does nothing to help with transitioning from string to string. That is all in the pick hand. It does nothing for tremolo picking, again that is all in the pick hand.

You started a thread about pick slanting. Pick slanting is all about picking technique, not about synchronization of the left and right hands. When you got feedback on pick hand improvement you “moved the cheese” to hand synchronization?

You don’t necessarily work on pick hand speed to just play fast, it helps tremendously with slower phrases that you want to pick cleanly. But hey, if you don’t want to invest in developing your picking technique that is your choice, though it leaves me wondering why you started this thread at all.

Last edited:
I want to play faster and cleaner. I'm currently using some of Wu-Flu down time to relearn how to pick.

What I'm finding is that pick angle and slant has a huge effect on speed...but also on tone. My default is slight upward pick slanting, with the pick almost perfectly parallel to the strings. This makes for good tone and short bursts of speed, but trips me up on longer runs. If I force myself to follow conventional wisdom (angle the pick 20-30 degrees, change pick slant direction as needed) the speed comes quickly and the tripping hazards are gone....but the tone suffers. Well, suffers may be the wrong word. The pick attack is sharper and raspier. It's a different sound for the tool box, but not what I always want. So much for having one consistent technique...
The whole thing about that one's picking technique should be constant is a myth. Things change at different tempos and during different phases of a passage. During a circular 4 note roll on 3 strings (like one note each on the d-g-b-g strings), all my strokes look and feel different, and require different slants, rotation, flexion/extension etc. And the technique is vastly different at 60 bpm vs at 150 bpm. There is also differences depending on which string group I'm on.

The whole thing about that one's picking technique should be constant is a myth. Things change at different tempos and during different phases of a passage. During a circular 4 note roll on 3 strings (like one note each on the d-g-b-g strings), all my strokes look and feel different, and require different slants, rotation, flexion/extension etc. And the technique is vastly different at 60 bpm vs at 150 bpm. There is also differences depending on which string group I'm on.

Hmmm.... for a while, I was taking lessons from an insanely good shredder who would disagree violently. No, really, and he could bench press me with one arm--so I wasn't going to argue too much. 🤣

Your point is well taken though.

It will be awkward at first. It took me several months to really get comfortable with the pick rotated. If you expect to make fundamental changes to your techniques and for it to immediately flow, then you have unrealistic expectations.

Synchronization is important. It will provide fluidity and feel. Synchronization does nothing to help with transitioning from string to string. That is all in the pick hand. It does nothing for tremolo picking, again that is all in the pick hand.

You started a thread about pick slanting. Pick slanting is all about picking technique, not about synchronization of the left and right hands. When you got feedback on pick hand improvement you “moved the cheese” to hand synchronization?

You don’t necessarily work on pick hand speed to just play fast, it helps tremendously with slower phrases that you want to pick cleanly. But hey, if you don’t want to invest in developing your picking technique that is your choice, though it leaves me wondering why you started this thread at all.

Chill out dude - I was curious if anyone had tried the whole pickslanting thing and if it worked for anyone. As someone who has always played on top of the strings and that my right hand has more or less been on autopilot, the thought of trying a new technique and actually examining what my right hand was doing was intriguing to me. And learning to play better/cleaner at faster speeds means that could also help me play better at slower speeds as well. I'm sorry if somehow I offended you. Others brought up synchronization, I was commenting on that as well.

Hmmm.... for a while, I was taking lessons from an insanely good shredder who would disagree violently. No, really, and he could bench press me with one arm--so I wasn't going to argue too much. 🤣

Your point is well taken though.
10 bucks on that he didn't even notice his technique changing 😉 It's exactly like that running isn't just walking fast. Or vice versa.

Chill out dude - I was curious if anyone had tried the whole pickslanting thing and if it worked for anyone. As someone who has always played on top of the strings and that my right hand has more or less been on autopilot, the thought of trying a new technique and actually examining what my right hand was doing was intriguing to me. And learning to play better/cleaner at faster speeds means that could also help me play better at slower speeds as well. I'm sorry if somehow I offended you. Others brought up synchronization, I was commenting on that as well.
When you say playing on top of the strings, do you mean that every stroke, regardless of direction, clears the adjacent strings?

Not interested in playing silly games with you. Peace out. Good luck with whatever it is you are trying to do here.

When you say playing on top of the strings, do you mean that every stroke, regardless of direction, clears the adjacent strings?

well - not exactly. From what I can see - my wrist seems to follow the same plane as the strings - and no pick upward slant, no downward slant. The only slant is in my pick - meaning thumb pointed more towards the ground. There is something that happens automatically to not get trapped in between the string when I play at "normal" speeds. Now when I try to really speed it up, thats when I get caught between the strings. And thats where I think the pickslanting can help me. When I watch Troys videos - it seems like there are two things going on - a pick slant, and a wrist motion that moves at an 10 degree angle towards the ground. I think thats where I'm getting hung up.

I bought the basic package a couple years ago. It helped. However, I found that I was able to increase speed dramatically more on the same links by reading (and absorbing into my practice) parts of this guy's book (which is free): https://www.gtroblq.com/book

And a post linked from the book: https://gtroblq.blogspot.com/2018/09/slant-picking.html

There's also a Facebook group (approval required) where he answers questions directly.

That said, as I mentioned, the Troy Grady stuff helped me. I don't regret the purchase. Troy's invested a lot in analyzing and presenting the playing of a lot of top-flight guitarists. I intend to continue using his stuff - but now, I'll be doing it with a somewhat different approach than he's showing in his demonstrations.

YMMV and all that.

Thanks very much for posting this link; I wasn't familiar at all, and I think the book is really interesting.

Back
Top Bottom