Pick-up question

Sten

Inspired
I have a guitar with EMGs, and want to switch out the bridge pick-up for a passive one. I'll have to put in different pots, right? But even with the switch set only for bridge, will the circuit still be affected by the active neck pick-up?

Yes, you will need different pots. I think the EMG pots are 25k.
Passive humbuckers usually use 500k pots. Passive single coils, usually 250k pots.

It might be possible to do the wiring, but I know of no way. I've been making pickups for 14 years, and I'm not aware of it.
Then again, I do tend to ignore all the active stuff.

I think you'll need two separate volume pots: one for the active pickup and one for the passive pickup. I'm not sure the two will play together well, so you may need to modify the wiring so there's only one pickup in use at any one time.

I think you'll need two separate volume pots: one for the active pickup and one for the passive pickup. I'm not sure the two will play together well, so you may need to modify the wiring so there's only one pickup in use at any one time.
I think Rex is right... I really do not think they will play well together. Sten might be able to get around the 250K - 500K pot issue, but if memory serves me, I think you also have to use the supplied input jack that comes with the EMGs, which could also pose a problem for the passive pickup. It is wired slightly different to accommodate the 9v wiring (or something). I've installed many, many passives over the years, but ended up taking my EMGs to a Tech for installation. Good luck with this - I'll be interested to see how things turn out!

Back
Top Bottom