Pick Attack Too Loud - Stumped

check out the Compressor block's Compander type. per the wiki:

Compander — The Transients control adjusts the transient modification. Values less than zero soften the attack, value greater than zero emphasize the attack.

At one point in time I used this to help automate volume swells without using a pedal

Last edited:
A Compander is a compressor followed by an expander. If the time constant of the compressor and expander are the same (and the "channel" is perfect, i.e. linear and lossless) then a Compander is transparent. If you change the time constant of one vs. the other the transients will become distorted.

The "Transients" knob controls the time constant mismatch. Negative values smooth the transients, positive values enhance the transients.

A Compander with transient enhancement can be used on kick drums, bass, etc. to add punch. Transient reduction can be used to reduce plosives.

For guitar you can use the Compander to add or remove pick attack.
emphasis mine

Could it be the pickups?
I had an Ibanez Prestige that had the Dimarzio Tone Zone / Air Notrton and it had some pretty loud pick attack. I never noticed it until I was recording with a modeler (Not a Fractal). I cured it by swapping the pickups to something different.

Could it be the pickups?
I had an Ibanez Prestige that had the Dimarzio Tone Zone / Air Notrton and it had some pretty loud pick attack. I never noticed it until I was recording with a modeler (Not a Fractal). I cured it by swapping the pickups to something different.

I agree with this, when I play on my Pegasus bridge pickup the pick attack and "hardness" of the notes are super prominent, and I also use the 5153 most often.

It doesn't have any particular frequency. Pick attack is impulsive so, by definition, it contains all frequencies. The standard approach to reducing attack is to use dynamics processing. The Axe-Fx II has a Pick Attack parameter which can be used to reduce the attack but the AX-8 does not have this parameter.

You can try using the Gate/Expander to soften the attack.

Could it be the pickups?
this happened to my when using jb and 59 seymour duncan.

Back
Top Bottom