Philtone Guitar Company – Stainless Steel Re-Fret / Plek ….

R.D.

Power User
First …, I need to preface my comments by saying that I have never owned a guitar with stainless steel frets before …. And to the best of my knowledge I don't think I've ever played a guitar that had been ‘plekk’ed’ before either … ?

That said …, the guitar I sent out to Philtone Guitar Company is my relic'ed 80's Strat 'style' guitar ( builder purposely not mentioned, but it's NOT Fender ) …. It's been fitted w/ a Floyd Rose Tremolo, a custom pickguard from James Tyler Guitars …. The neck is a beautiful piece of Roasted Birdseye Maple finished w/ Tung Oil ( I believe ).

The specs were ( more on that below ):
· 22 Frets
· 1.650" Nut Width
· 9.5" – 12" Compound Radius

When I sent this to Philtone, I suspected that the neck would need more than a simple adjustment, along with the new frets, etc; Because when I first bought the guitar I realized that the overall action was higher than my preference, and just a normal set-up didn't provide a complete fix. But, I really, REALLY liked the neck, and I was hoping that the extra stability of the roasted wood would provide a solid base to be able to make it play more to my liking !

Upon Phil's examination of the guitar he commented that the existing fret ends were pretty pronounced, and he saw glue around many of the fret ends with the bottom of the exposed fret tang ends/slots not being filled. Plus he found that there was a slight rise in the fingerboard surface on the upper treble side ( probably explained why the action couldn't be lowered ), and finally the neck radius was actually 10" to 11" ( not 9.5" to 12" as I originally thought ) ….

After a few E-mails back 'n' forth, we agreed to address the fingerboard issue, and Phil said he could use the jumbo stainless frets to actually flatten the radius to 12" in the upper end of the neck. And he included a 'tweak' to the Floyd Rose to make it work in conjunction with the radius a little better !

I just received the guitar back last Friday and here are my first impressions ….

While I'm not really qualified to discuss the "cosmetics" of a fret-job, and quite frankly, I had not previously noticed the things that Phil brought to my attention …. I can tell you that looking at the items he did bring up, I can honestly say that I am very impressed with how things look now … ! I don't see ANYTHING that isn't where it belongs, and just sliding my hand up and down the neck is incredibly smooth, nothing hangs or catches my palm or fingers. IMO – everything is as it should be !

The first thing I did after opening the box was to play the guitar for a few minutes without plugging in ….
1. The guitar seems to be a little bit louder acoustically ( but, that might be the new Cobalt strings ) ….
2. The notes seem to ring much clearer & longer ( more sustain ) ….
3. The intonation seems better, the guitar seems SO much more in-tune ( all over the neck ) than before ….

Now, after plugging in ….
1. I've noticed absolutely NO tonal change AT ALL ! ( no ‘plink-i-ness’ that some guitarists always seem to want to ascribe to stainless steel frets ) !
2. Bending & sliding seems so much smoother as well as more accurate ….
3. It seems easier to bend notes and hold them in tune ( with or without vibrato ) ….
4. It's quite a bit easier to use a subtle vibrato …, as well as a Lukather type wild/wide vibrato too !
5. And yes the guitar seems just a touch louder ( still could be the Cobalt strings ) ….

I don't play out professionally any longer, so this is my only guitar at the current time. And in the time it took to send it out, get the work completed and send it back, the callouses on my fingers were pretty much worn off. But it didn't stop me from playing all weekend long, and even though my fingers are pretty sore today, I can't help but think they're not as sore as they would be playing the guitar as it had been set up previously !

To sum it all up …. I can't believe I waited this long to do this with one of my guitars ! The improvements to the playability and feel of the guitar are more than I ever expected …. I can already see it will change the way I look at any other guitars I might be interested in from here forward ….

If it doesn't have stainless steel frets and/or hasn't been put through the Plek machine … ? Well then it better be "affordable" enough that I can send it out to Phil for stainless steel frets & Plek …. Otherwise I probably won't bother with it !

Finally, if you're contemplating having any fret-work done to your guitars, I would recommend you give Phil Jacoby @ Philtone Guitar Company a call before you go anywhere else. I'm confident that he'll make your guitar play like no other instrument you've ever picked up before !

Respectfully …,

+1 for stainless steel frets. I live in the Seattle area, and the local guitar shaman is Mike Lull. He does a fantastic job on my instruments, and is the only guy I'd trust with something as crucial as a fret job.

Lull is the man.

Glad you like the outcome. Personally, I feel that dressing frets is a useful skill musicians should have - I place it on about the same level as changing oil on a vehicle. I know most people can't, but I think it's a valueable skill. I'm still on the fence about PLEK'ing, but it is a neat process none the less.

As a mostly fretless bass player, I can't comment on SS frets. The few basses I've tried them on, I noticed no difference in tone, and a slight difference in playability (more due to fret size change). However, I do not ascribe that tone is mostly in the wood, let alone frets, so I wasn't expecting anything to begin with. Recordings taken before and after, and we couldn't hear any difference on a wide range of different equipment.

I also like Cobalt strings, but I don't like the gauge they come in for 5 or 6 string bass. I'll stick to my Kalium's.

I LOVE the stainless frets on my Andersons. Man they play so smoothly.

BUT...I had a buddy that put stainless frets on a Les Paul Custom....and it made the guitar sound shrill.
Don't know if that was just a rare case....but it kind of ruined the guitar. We were all surprised.

+1 to Phil and stainless steel frets. Phil replaced the old worn frets on my '97 PRS CE24 just a few weeks ago. Great work, nice guy, and the guitar plays wonderfully.

Stainless are about all I install anymore, other than the occasional set of gold, which are nearly as hard. The feel is superb, and they stay that way. There's no effect on the tone, although it seems that hammer/tap work is a bit more even-sounding so legato is smoother. Could just be my imagination, though. In any event, everybody loves them.

Great story.
I sort of recently refretted my 2 gigging guitars to SS. Can't say they sound any different after. Played much nicer, though. I'm considering a Plekking to my nr1 because I feel the action could still be lower and I would appreciate that.

I actually did three refrets myself. Started with my old "beach and camping" acoustic. That turned out great and played much nicer afterwards. Encouraged I tried my nr2, to refret it with SS and even reshape it to a compound radius. That was challenging. And it didn't go so good. At the end I took just a bit too much off the fret ends so my strings started dropping off the sides too much. So I redid the frets again, hoping with SS that would be the last time ever. This time it came out good! Didn't notice any change in amped tone. Played nicer, though!

Then I took on my nr1. It had developed a bit of twist over the years so I first took the iron to it and twisted it back. That worked and held, after a week it was still straight, so I went ahead and got to defretting. Ebony board, so lots of chipping. Quite a bit of work to get the board flat again, being very careful. Anyway, turned out pretty good too. Plays nice, no noticeable change in tone. Looks as if nothing happened. With the experience I had I left a bit of room at the fret ends, so they are a bit on the long side, but not so long that they hinder playing. Just notice it when picking it up by the neck.

All in in all I'm pretty impressed with myself after all that! Still, I think a Plekking would be even better, though. I did them with really huge fret wire, the biggest I could find, just so there would be room to file if I messed up... I just changed string sizes and want to wait until I decided if that works for me.

There's no magic in "good handcrafted fretting". It's all physics and precision is the real magic in a refret. No more precision available than with the Plek.

Phil did a lot of work on my LP including SS/Plek and a bone nut and I couldn't be happier with his work.

One thing I forgot to mention about Phil's refrets: He recesses the tang (a trick he picked up attending luthiery school in NM). The beauty of that is it pretty much eliminates fret sprout.

Back
Top Bottom