Phasing issues using the "Enhancer" in Modern mode

BC_GTR

I have noticed when using the Enhancer block, which btw I use quite a bit in the "Modern" setting, there seem to be phasing issues that cause some notes to almost completely cancel out and become inaudible. I have made adjustments to either the Depth or Width to compensate only to find that there is another frequency that becomes affected. Most noticeable in High Gain settings. Is there a fix?

Using the Enhancer in mono can create phasing issues. Running a stereo setup with stereo effects can cause phasing issues between the Enhancer and an effect. A lot of the Stereo effects have some form of a phase parameter or phase reverse option.

Stereoizer mode is the only one to use in my opinion.
Agreed. In my tests I could not tell if it was on or bypassed when summed to mono. I could, however, hear a more mid focus when using it in stereo. In my heavy patches that’s okay as it helps them cut through better. I took it out of my lower gain patches.

I have noticed when using the Enhancer block, which btw I use quite a bit in the "Modern" setting, there seem to be phasing issues that cause some notes to almost completely cancel out and become inaudible. I have made adjustments to either the Depth or Width to compensate only to find that there is another frequency that becomes affected. Most noticeable in High Gain settings. Is there a fix?
Modern mode? No, there shouldn't be any phasing issues, so there's nothing to fix. If you upload your preset, someone can help you figure out the problem.

Agreed. In my tests I could not tell if it was on or bypassed when summed to mono. I could, however, hear a more mid focus when using it in stereo. In my heavy patches that’s okay as it helps them cut through better. I took it out of my lower gain patches.
I don't notice the phasing issue in the stereoizer mode.

Thanks guys for all of your input. I went into my presets and moved the Enhancer to the end of the chain and, for the most part, that fixed my problems. I did have to adjust some other blocks after moving the Enhancer block but I think I've got it. Though I was running the enhancer in series in all presets it was next to blocks that were in parallel on a couple of presets. Those just happened to be the ones I was having the most problem with. Thanks again!

Thanks guys for all of your input. I went into my presets and moved the Enhancer to the end of the chain and, for the most part, that fixed my problems. I did have to adjust some other blocks after moving the Enhancer block but I think I've got it. Though I was running the enhancer in series in all presets it was next to blocks that were in parallel on a couple of presets. Those just happened to be the ones I was having the most problem with. Thanks again!
I suspect it's not the amp, it's probably placement of the Enhancer block or a block that followed it that was forcing the sound to mono. With questions like this it's always helpful to attach the actual preset to the question so we can see all the parameters and how it's wired rather than go back and forth with multiple people asking 20 questions.

I suspect it's not the amp, it's probably placement of the Enhancer block or a block that followed it that was forcing the sound to mono. With questions like this it's always helpful to attach the actual preset to the question so we can see all the parameters and how it's wired rather than go back and forth with multiple people asking 20 questions.
This is one of the presets in question. So far it has not made a difference where the block is placed in the chain or whether is in series or parallel positioning. When the width and depth are both set to 100% the "F" note (high E string 1st fret or any identical frequency, B string 6th fret) and so on. What I have done to remedy the issue for me is to either back off the Width or the Depth to 50% leaving the other set at 100%. Does not completely fix this problem but it is definitely usable this way

Attachments

• Disruption screen.PNG
    Disruption screen.PNG
    149.6 KB · Views: 30
This is one of the presets in question. So far it has not made a difference where the block is placed in the chain or whether is in series or parallel positioning. When the width and depth are both set to 100% the "F" note (high E string 1st fret or any identical frequency, B string 6th fret) and so on. What I have done to remedy the issue for me is to either back off the Width or the Depth to 50% leaving the other set at 100%. Does not completely fix this problem but it is definitely usable this way
Please don’t send us a snapshot. Export the preset.

I am running in stereo.

If the Enhancer block is on the grid before the Cab block, make sure the Cab block is running in Stereo and everything is panned correctly. If that's not done, everything before the Cab block gets collapsed to mono. I've made that mistake before and it drove me nuts until I found it.

Another suggestion... if you want a general "embiggen" effect like the Enhancer block can give you, but that also can successfully collapse to mono without phasing issues, I'd recommend a Van Halen style "Balance" effect setup. Use a Pitch block in Dual Detune mode. Pan one voice hard left and set to -6 ct or around there, then pan the 2nd voice hard right at +6 ct or around there. Mix to taste.

Last edited:
Is this the issue you're hearing? Sounds quite weird (not just like a phasing issue to my ears), only seems to happen with notes B and F#, only with Enhancer in Modern mode, only on the left channel, and only if Width is greater than 80%. Is there any technical explanation for this, or is it a bug? Using AustinBuddy's "SoldanoX99R -c" preset here which has the Enhancer set to Modern and 80.4% width in Scene 5 which is ironically called "SoundsSoGood!"

Attachments

• b + f# left ch.aif.zip
    7.1 MB · Views: 3
  • F# Left Ch#01.aif.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom