Phantom power fried my FC12 - will this prevent a third ocurrence?

No. The Axe Fx doesn't send phantom power. That comes from a mixer (or maybe an audio interface) that can send phantom power for microphones that require it.

In this case, he accidentally plugged in an XLR from somewhere other than his Axe Fx, and that one had phantom power.
What he said ...

Just a friendly suggestion. Mark your cables! Don't connect a random XLR into an FC unit.
Yes of course. But unfortunately that does not physically prevent the wrong plug to be inserted. And as I had written earlier, a momentary lapse of reason got the better of me!
I'm looking for a fool proof solution. I have a few ideas and I will post a PSA when I have a workable, easy to implement system.

Back in the MFC days I replaced the consumer ethernet with a proper ethercon connector and posted the results. Sometimes later the MkII came out with ethercon. Maybe my experiments will prompt such an evolution?

I think the gender changer adapter idea above would be a pretty simple safeguard and still allow you to use garden variety XLR cables. The FC end of the cable would then be male, opposite of what would normally be used for audio.

The current gender orientation was likely chosen on purpose to prevent accidental connection of phantom power to the Axe FX's FASLINK jack. If there's the possibility to damage either the Axe FX or the FC unit, it makes more sense to put the higher risk of accidentally swapping cables on the FC end.

Last edited:
The current gender orientation was likely chosen on purpose to prevent accidental connection of phantom power to the Axe FX's jack. If there's the possibility to damage either the Axe FX or the FC unit, it makes more sense to put the higher risk of accidentally swapping cables on the FC end.
The Axe FX outputs are protected against phantom power. I'm not sure what protection the Axe FX needs.
I think the gender orientation was based on a simple signal direction.
I believe the omission of phantom protection on the FC is just that - an omission. It might've been rectified on the MkII. FAS would have to chime in to clear that up.

No. The Axe Fx doesn't send phantom power.
From the FC6+12 Manual:

A FASLINK™ II port on the Axe‑Fx III or FM3 provides 2-way communication, and will also provide
phantom power
to the first FC unit in a daisy chain. (Axe-Fx II not supported).

Granted, this is not the same phantom power provided for mics, and as I understand it, the power is wired differently as well, but the Axe IS sending phantom power, just not 48v and on different pin config ;~))

From the FC6+12 Manual:

A FASLINK™ II port on the Axe‑Fx III or FM3 provides 2-way communication, and will also provide
phantom power
to the first FC unit in a daisy chain. (Axe-Fx II not supported).

Granted, this is not the same phantom power provided for mics, and as I understand it, the power is wired differently as well, but the Axe IS sending phantom power, just not 48v and on different pin config ;~))
Yes, of course, that's true. I wasn't thinking about that... Thanks for adding that clarification! :)

The Axe FX outputs are protected against phantom power. I'm not sure what protection the Axe FX needs.
I think the gender orientation was based on a simple signal direction.
I believe the omission of phantom protection on the FC is just that - an omission. It might've been rectified on the MkII. FAS would have to chime in to clear that up.

Yes the audio outputs are DC protected, but the FASLINK port is likely not. It can't be DC blocked for the same reason as the FC side. It uses DC from the Axe III to power the FC unit. FASLINK, unlike audio, is also bidirectional. You can block the DC, but then you are forced to use an external power supply for the FC unit. That means running a second cable out to your FC for power. Not the end of the world, but certainly less convenient unless you've already got power there for external pedals and such.

Yes the audio outputs are DC protected, but the FASLINK port is likely not. It can't be DC blocked for the same reason as the FC side. It uses DC from the Axe III to power the FC unit. FASLINK, unlike audio, is also bidirectional. You can block the DC, but then you are forced to use an external power supply for the FC unit. That means running a second cable out to your FC for power. Not the end of the world, but certainly less convenient unless you've already got power there for external pedals and such.
I see what you say.
Best practice would've probably to use the same voltage scheme as audio phantom power. I don't know that it could've been done, but it would've been safer for sure.

Back
Top Bottom