Petrucci using his AxeFX in the studio

Damo60

Using 4-Cable method still (which isn't really a suprise), but good to see he still has axe in his rack for studio sessions and not just practice at home.

photo3.jpg

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of Portnoy-less DT. I'm on-board regardless but it will be more of a "DT mkII" kind of thing to me.

Aside - i guess the Axe "forever and completely" changed the way Petrucci thinks about "rack fx", not necessarily amp simulation, eh?

I think Mangini is going to be a good addition - it might allow other band members to take the lead in the songwriting process for once, or at least lead to a more collaborative effort.

Mangini is assumed to be, but not officially, The New Guy - yeah?

Oh, found the pic with the MFC:

photo2.jpg

Last edited:
Aside - i guess the Axe "forever and completely" changed the way Petrucci thinks about "rack fx", not necessarily amp simulation, eh?

I guess he really was just talking about it as an effects processor ("rack fx"). I'd be curious to hear why he likes it better than, say, an Eventide.

Most rock guitarists who use an Axe-FX still seem to be attached to their traditional guitar amps (and cabs) as if by umbilical cord. This may never change for many of the current generation of guitarists.

I really admire Petrucci as a player and I think he has crafted some of the very best rock guitar tones of the past 20 years.

What I really love about pictures like the ones in this thread? Seeing all that high-end gear piled in one area makes it much easier for me to rationalize having "just" an AxeFx for my personal musical explorations. :)

Edit: with all those pedals laying around I doubt he using the 4-cable method. I'd bet he's using the Axe strictly in the FX loop of his amps.

Last edited:
Maybe JP is really using the Axe for recording and the amps are just there for Mesa to THINK he's using them. Heh,heh! ;-)

guitar --1--> Axe input
Axe output 1 --2--> amp input
amp fx send --3--> Axe input 2
Axe output 2 --4--> amp fx return

The --1-- and --2-- etc. are designating the 4 cables in Don's explanation. cable one is --1-- cable two is --2--
in case the extra numbers confuse anyone with output jack numbers.
The 4 cable method allows you to have some of the effects hit the front of the amp, like Wah pedal blocks and drive blocks etc. and the rest can be in the amps loop after it's preamp stage like delays and reverbs etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom