Pete Thorn's Suhr SL68 Tone Match

WANT ! 8)

I been coveting the tone(s) from your original SL-68 Demo vid .... including the "brown" example you did with the variac switch engaged & the EP-Pre in front .... That was just too cool .... !

Last edited:
Can't tell how it feels like under you fingers playing, but listening with head phones sounds pretty damn close:mrgreen

I think it's as close as you'll get with ANY digital device, sound might never be totally 100% but it's so close and usable that any minor detail difference doesn't really matter anymore, in my opinion. I've been trying to borrow and schedule a day to tone match some cool amps that a couple friends own, but for some reason after they've heard some of these tone match clips, I've been getting different excuses from them, and it hasn't happened yet..think they're scared.. :)

Pete,

Any chance you could post up either the .wav or .flac files so we could Tone Match them on our own gear ?

I know that there's a lot of folks that would literally kill to get both the variac'ed SL-68 and PT-100 ....

At one point, I think Cliff was going to talk to John about the PT-

THANKS !

It is very close indeed. Great sound and playing. I personally can't tell the difference. It sounds like with a few more updates the AXE-FX will could get better than tube amps ... if that is possible. But it is already a much more flexible tool (like you are mentioning) were you can in so many ways tweak that matched tone.
Thanks for sharing this great demo.

That was really, really....really close indeed, Mr. Thorn!

Ain't it fun being an Axe-Fx'er :)

Per

Really really really close :D

Great sound indeed. Have you tried trough a poweramp? Maybe the SL68?

Thanks a lot for the video. Allways good stuff on your channel :)

i love the comments on youtube... man people must have the most discerning ear... would love to hear how well some of these guys play if they can hear that well. I thought it was pretty much indistinguishable... never hear any difference in a band setting or mix. Sounds great, love me some old Cult :)

Its always funny when people say close enough. When you play this tone live, I don't think anyone is going to say, hmmm I'm sorry that tone didn't sound exactly like name big brand amp here. Add bass, lose bass doesn't matter. It sounds like a marshall type amp. Being able to do this at all is what blows me away, incredible!!! I have done one tone match, it was of my blues jr that I use for blues jams, and it sounded spot on to me.

The guys that commented saying they heard a "HUGE" difference are the Tube purists and the kemper snobs defending their platform thats all that is. someone should make a video of the same amp being played twice but claim one is the axefx TM. I can hear them saying how the claimed axefx one just wasnt as good or sounded too compressed and digital!

Amazing how they can tell when they know which you playing through. Do a blind test and have the YouTube experts comment.

Back
Top Bottom