Pete Thorn's pedalboard

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Pete Thorn is cool. I think he is. He can play with the best of course. But also because he's a normal, accessible, very friendly guy. Almost "one of us". ;)

I ran across this demo of his new pedalboard. Very interesting. Even though Axe-Fx users are using MFCs etc. The issue and solutions he discusses remind of the days I was using rackbased fx devices through loops, large pedalboards etc. Nope, I don't wanna return to that periode. Still, it's cool to see what he has come up with, a preset-based pedalboard.

I watched that when he posted it. Couldn't help but think how much easier it would be for him to just use the Axe. :)

The issue and solutions he discusses remind of the days I was using rackbased fx devices through loops, large pedalboards etc. Nope, I don't wanna return to that periode.

This is exactly what happened to me. I usually don't use many effects so I've been fine with my real amp setup and only the channel switcher and reverb but when I started to add pedals and effects and a noise gate etc. I realized I'd have to spend 1000-3000€ on effects pedals to get a setup that I would be completely happy with and that's not even the biggest problem. Putting that rig together will always take a lot of time and effort. I got back aches just thinking about that. So Axe-Fx was the solution if I want to use more effects. :)

Pete is a very cool guy I love his demos, gets right to the point and shows you everything thats going on.

Great Video. Pete Thorn blows me away every time I stumble across one of his posts, thanks Pete. I have to say that PT100 sounds absolutely stunning!

Especially thrilled by the Dimension chorus and that wah indeed. Gotta look up the specs somewhere.

Yeah I just got one, superb rock amp.

I haven't lusted for a tube amp since I got into the Axe-Fx but that PT100 crunch tone has got me really interested. Any idea on the amps lineage and what the circuit this amp is based on tone wise?

Any idea on the amps lineage and what the circuit this amp is based on tone wise?

if you mean how is it voiced : the clean is very fender twin-like, crunch channel is very marshally, its a single eq with 2 MV's and 2 gains so it's eq'd the same but you can set one as standard crunch and the other for lead/high gain etc etc. got loads of gain but not really metal voiced if that's your thing, just a pure classic/hard rock amp, very inspiring and versatile, best I've played in ages.

Some amazing sounds there.

+1 Love the sounds.

I know a lot of you think he should just use the Axe for everything, but that isn't the perfect solution either. My Axe-FX is my main rig, but I keep a pedalboard rig as well that works much like Pete's. I can use it in front of my one remaining tube rig, direct when necessary, or in front of a clean amp at a gig or session. Could I do the same with the Axe-FX? Sort of, but not as well. While I still prefer my Axe-FX rig, as I'm sure Pete would prefer his WDW rig, my pedalboard rig is a better choice for some situations. It's nice to have that option available when it's a better choice.

D

if you mean how is it voiced : the clean is very fender twin-like, crunch channel is very marshally, its a single eq with 2 MV's and 2 gains so it's eq'd the same but you can set one as standard crunch and the other for lead/high gain etc etc. got loads of gain but not really metal voiced if that's your thing, just a pure classic/hard rock amp, very inspiring and versatile, best I've played in ages.

Thanks for the info. Classic hard rock is definitely my bag, you have me drooling!

Cool stuff there. Anyone has some input for me how to get the compressor on the AXE to get that "fuller/boost up" clean tone that he demonstrates. Really love it, and having a hard time properly get my head around the compressor.

Back
Top Bottom