Inspired
I'd like to monitor my setup like this:
Main output (or any output): only the guitar - to the FOH mixer
Personal monitor output (or FRFR): Guitar AND vocals with a Helicorn/preamp
And then sending the vocals from the Helicorn/preamp separated to the FOH mixer
AND all in stereo.

Is such a thing even possible?
And if so - how should I route it?

TLDR: How can I separate the vocal and guitar outputs in stereo to the front of house mixer and keep both signals in stereo in my FRFR monitors?

All you great masters with wizard powers - enlighten me!

Just route the signal to monitors from FOH? I'm not sure I see the problem.
Sure, that's true, but I'd like to use the same sound when rehearsing in my personal monitors as live, if it is possible without an extra mixer.

Are you referring to the mythical Helicorn of legend?

IMG_0057.PNG
Either your autocorrect has foiled your post, or you are spelling it wrong consistently. Assuming you are talking about the Helicon (no "r").

There is not quite enough routing capability in the Axe Fx to do what you want...

Are you referring to the mythical Helicorn of legend?

View attachment 41576
Either your autocorrect has foiled your post, or you are spelling it wrong consistently. Assuming you are talking about the Helicon (no "r").

There is not quite enough routing capability in the Axe Fx to do what you want...

Well, the mythical Helicorn is indeed more interesting than my rack unit :)
Sad to hear that you can not route the FX inputs in panned stereo to the output(s).
Well, well, Rolls, here I come =>

Last edited:
Well, the mythical Helicorn is indeed more interesting than my rack unit :)
Sad to hear that you can not route the FX inputs in panned stereo to the output(s).
Well, well, Rolls, here I come =>
You can do that... But that is not exactly what you asked.

Plug the Helicon into to FX Return inputs. Add an FX Loop block into your preset on a dedicated grid line (no shunts from the grid input, but shunts to the output) and there you go.

You can do that... But that is not exactly what you asked.

Plug the Helicon into to FX Return inputs. Add an FX Loop block into your preset on a dedicated grid line (no shunts from the grid input, but shunts to the output) and there you go.

Yes: I tried to simplify it even more, but ..

I did that yesterday but with no luck. I used a line signal but I could not do anything with it - it was extremely low. Maybe I used the cables wrong? I did exactly as you stated but no luck :(

I have one of these Velcro'd in a drawer in my rig for just such an occasion. It lets my mix my Axe-Fx II, VoiceLive-Rack, and backing tracks (all in stereo) to my FRFRs, if FOH can't give me what I need. Only used it live twice so far.
small mixer.png

I have one of these Velcro'd in a drawer in my rig for just such an occasion. It lets my mix my Axe-Fx II, VoiceLive-Rack, and backing tracks (all in stereo) to my FRFRs, if FOH can't give me what I need. Only used it live twice so far.
View attachment 41603
Yes, that's the general direction my world is aiming at right now, but with a small Rolls mixer!

View attachment 41603
I use a VoiceLive Rack (Touch) and right now I'm trying to replace my Mesa and Peavey with Yorkville monitors. The monitors are small and ok but lack that extra rock oumph in the bottom frequencies.

Use the 1/4" L & R outs from both units to the Rolls mixer, then to your monitors. Use the XLR L & R outs from both units to FOH. Just use the 1/4" L & R outs from both units for rehearsals.

Use the 1/4" L & R outs from both units to the Rolls mixer, then to your monitors. Use the XLR L & R outs from both units to FOH. Just use the 1/4" L & R outs from both units for rehearsals.
Why only use the 1/4" L & R outs from both units for rehearsals?

Why only use the 1/4" L & R outs from both units for rehearsals?
Why not? Once you get the connections all worked out and the levels set at rehearsals. You won't have to change anything for the shows. Just add the XLRs to FOH, but your stage rig is unchanged.

That's just how I would do it?

Why not? Once you get the connections all worked out and the levels set at rehearsals. You won't have to change anything for the shows. Just add the XLRs to FOH, but your stage rig is unchanged.

That's just how I would do it?
Yes, you probably eliminate some gound loop problems and make life easier for the mixer guy, but if the FOH needs some tweaking on the guitar - but the vocals is in the same package?

Yes, you probably eliminate some gound loop problems and make life easier for the mixer guy...
@Moke 's suggestion isn't about ground loops or changing what the sound guy does. It's about not having to reconfigure your rehearsal rig at the gig. You just plug the house feed into your empty and available XLR outs.

...but if the FOH needs some tweaking on the guitar - but the vocals is in the same package?
He's mixing guitar and vocals into his stage monitor, not his house feed.

Oh: I completely misunderstood what you tried to say - Yes that is what I will do, I will use the XLR to FOH and the tele to my monitors - that is why I use a Rolls Mixer .. and if you could do it internally that would be great, but no.

Back
Top Bottom