Personal Mini-FRFR Monitor - situation, thoughts, questions

hotlegs said:
Image linking needs an internet address for the image file, it will not work directly from your harddrive. You can upload files using the box below the window you type replies into. Like this:

For the record, I've messed with these little powered monitors again... unusable for me. Just tinny and too small sounding. Even up on a mic stand, they sound... awful.

Researching the PSM200 vs. PSM400. Is the PSM400 worth the extra money?

Well, there are pros and cons to both...

The PSM200 is mono only, but has 2 inputs on the transmitter. And it has an additional 1/4" input on the receiver that you could plug in a "lavalier" style mic for ambient sound.

The PSM400 is stereo, and it also has "mix-mode" i.e. you can pan your guitar/vocal left and the everyone else right--and balance the 2 signals to your liking.
The PSM400 also only has 1 input, so if you want/need more you will need to get the P4M mixer to go with it.
It also is available in the newer "X" band--900 Mhz.

FWIW, I just upgraded from the PSM200 to the PSM400/Mixer setup...

The 8ma isn't far from the cost of those in-ears. If the bands you're in are all in-ear that'd be the way to go.

If not, the 8ma could be great for P&W space/volume issues.
But watch out for pricing, especially for the P&W gig
The total for mine came to.....

$666

:shock:

Hey Scott I'll second the FBT 8ba. It is 19 lbs and it is incredible how much bass response you get from those little speakers. I like a full tone and it has all of that in my opinion. Great for Accoustic. In fact I tested out the AER Domino the same day I bought my FBT and the tones were so close. Big difference was the FBT could handle more volume and had bigger bass response to me. I use mine to at our church with the Aviom's (one ear in) and it is the perfect size for a smaller stage. The amount of volume they put out is very impressive if you need a good amount of volume at 200 watts. You have to hear them to believe it. Try to find a dealer close by to hear one if you can. They are gonna run about $480-$550 depending on the dealer. Good luck on your search.

Dave

I'd love to go with the Jolly 8... but that's $479 best price I could find. I'm doing payments (3) to American Musical for the TC and it totals at $300.

I've gone round and round and round. I need something; can't pop for the more expensive solutions RIGHT now. That'll change.

For now, I'm going to send the Mackie back and keep the TC and roll with it.

I do think the Mackie sounds better. But the reviews all over the place have the Mackie shutting down due to thermal overheating (or something like it) during a gig. I can't trust it. I also like the the TC has two positions to put on the floor OR on a mic stand (straight or on an angle). The Mackie does not. It just has one flat bottom with a slight angle either on the ground or on the stand.

The fitting for the Mackie on the mic stand is plastic. That's not so bad, but the TC is metal on metal. Metal wins over plastic. Small thing, perhaps, but over time and with wear and tear the metal will win the day.

So for the time being, it's RMA on the Mackie and keep the TC. I have a gig on Thursday; taking the QSC (big stage) but will try the TC at rehearsal on Wednesday to see how it flies.

This stuff is never cut and dried. If I had the cash, I'd roll with the FBT without blinking. With money as tight as it is for me right now... I'm blinking a lot. :D

When you do roll FBT, there's a wall bracket accessory that could easily be modded for mic stand, but it's so small you'd prolly never use it. I recommend the zip case with handle, well made - really no other way to carry without the zip case.

Scott Peterson said:
I've used my QSC for a long time; and it's been great. Last year I had a TC Helicon VSM-200p for smaller quieter stuff and it worked fine... but the gig I bought it for went south and I sold it. My church gigs are all IEM; but this band does not use IEM and these club gigs are not setup for using IEM's.

Now I've had two shows in a row where I've been playing acoustic with the Axe-FX and going straight to FOH... and I can't hear myself at all. The problem is that with these house systems, you get one monitor mix for everyone. And you get vocals in the monitor mix... period. So I've done two shows in a row (last night was not on purpose at all!) where I had absolutely no monitor on myself. It's frustrating and impossible to deal with. I now COMPLETELY understand how vocalists go out of key and all over the place when their monitors (IEMs) fail and they have to perform 'blind' (without monitors).

This band lineup is drums, bass, two acoustic guitars (me and another), keys, cello and violin. Two vocalists. It's a hip groove project with harmonies and strong arrangements. I need the Axe-FX to do certain effects that the material requires (ie. wah on acoustic guitar... is exceptionally cool and utterly important to 3 songs in the set).

So we get to this stage, in a club I have not played in a number of years (like... 11 years). And the stage is TIGHT with this big a lineup. NO room for the QSC. Sound check is minus keys and bass and one vocal (scheduling issues) and I can hear myself a little from the side fill monitor. Figure, well, I'll be okay.

NOT so.

Ugg. The gig prior to this was even tighter and we needed my QSC for vocal monitor far removed from where I was.

So I've done two shows now clamming all over the place because I cannot hear myself at all once we get rolling. I have some solos... and man, playing solos that you simply cannot hear youself playing till you listen back to the board recording the next day is NOT ideal.

So I've decided that I have to act quickly and get one of these little personal monitors. They are designed for vocals only really; they are simply modern updates of the cursed "Hot Spot" monitors (uhhh, yea, I've used those in the past.... ugg).

Does anyone have any experience with the Mackie SRM-150? I just ordered one to try it and if it sucks, I'll be returning it for another TC Helicon VSM300.

Just wanted to see if any other FRFR folks out there make due with this?

Check out the Traynor K1 keyboard amps.
My first gig with my Ultra was a theatre gig and the K1, although perfect sounding, was just fine.

Scott Peterson said:
I'd love to go with the Jolly 8... but that's $479 best price I could find.

It is a fair price. In Italy a good price here is 309euro, that is 400$... add transport & fees.... you are there...

If you got the opportunity to A/B them with other product, please write back. I compare the Jolly 8BA with a Mackie SRM350, and I like most the former... more musical midrage, pleasant high, better bass definition. The SRM350 has more volume and more bass. The cut into the mix is nearly the same.

Scott - you can get the Jolly for $379 - check your PM or e-mail for the details I forwarded.

I'm not sure if that helps or not but thought you should know it can be had quite a bit cheaper.

I ran the TC-Helicon at rehearsal tonight and postioned myself RIGHT next to the drummer on purpose... the little bugger did fine. I can hear it. It's not that bad. I am going to run with it (crossing my fingers) at the show tomorrow night and see how we do.

If it doesn't cut it at the show, I'll RMA it and go for the FBT. The proof will be in the pudding.

Guys, I gotta come clean - the little TC/Helicon thing worked great. My intent was to sell it to the vocalist in the band and get a Jolly 8ma... but this TC is so small and really did the job last night on the gig. I had my best gig thus far with this band using this little thing. Very clear, the sound from the mains 'filled' the lows this thing doesn't deliver and I could hear myself clear as a bell. Impressed. Might just go on with this. When we go plugged in electric stuff, I might move to the Jolly then. We'll see.

Pics from last week's show, so you can get a feel for how crowded the stage can be (and why I can't fit the QSC sometimes):

0409BlindPig3.jpg

(My New Avatar):
0409BlindPig.jpg

P1010223.jpg

I'll take my own camera to the next gig and get some gear shots.

Scott Peterson said:
Pics from last week's show, so you can get a feel for how crowded the stage can be.
Plenty of room for an 8ma :cool:

*edit* forgot to say that looks like a really cool gig. Coming from the "musician in a vacuum" perspective of a solo-act, I'm envious.

solo-act said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":1tae1h28]

Pics from last week's show, so you can get a feel for how crowded the stage can be.
Plenty of room for an 8ma :cool:[/quote:1tae1h28]

The peer pressure is strong with you! :D

We will see. Come first week May, I might have the scratch to give it a rip. It's all about money with me right now. I'm so tight, I'm a snare drum at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom