Wish Persistent Tuner/Mute

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere (or re-direct me).. I'm a multi-instrumentalist, largely acoustic, so a little off the beaten path for fractal user group. When I go to change instruments, my most natural path would be: Mute/Tune (on scenes page) > Go to Presets page > Choose the corresponding preset for an instrument > change instruments > tune as necessary > Un-Mute
but when I go to the Presets page (or any page change), the Tune/Mute function turns off. Is there a P/P functionality that would fix this?
My workaround is to park a Mute/Tune Preset on each page(view) of (5) presets, and have to go to Preset page first to mute, then select a new preset after changing and tuning, but this does not flow as well - with my FM3, I have always had something upstream (acoustic pre with a mute, or volume pedal) to handle mute functions, but i'm trying to streamline with the FM9. Cheers-

Here’s a different workaround:

Mute/Tune > change instruments > tune as needed > chose the corresponding preset > play your heart out.

Takes the same amount of time as your normal workflow.

Here’s a different workaround:

Mute/Tune > change instruments > tune as needed > chose the corresponding preset > play your heart out.

Takes the same amount of time as your normal workflow.
Trouble is (and this is why I prefaced with the acoustic intruments description), depending on what instrument I'm switching from/to, there is a moment in the fractal preset change where i have the wrong instrument for the preset, which can result in instant feedback, if only for a few seconds. That's the bit i'm trying to avoid.

Trouble is (and this is why I prefaced with the acoustic intruments description), depending on what instrument I'm switching from/to, there is a moment in the fractal preset change where i have the wrong instrument for the preset, which can result in instant feedback, if only for a few seconds. That's the bit i'm trying to avoid.
Mute your strings when you're done tuning and you're golden. :)

I need to do this as well. I play both electric and acoustic during the same sets and use the same cable & input. Say that I play a song on electric with a classic rock Marshall-y preset, then need to switch to acoustic for the next song. What happens is that I hit my tuner mute on the rock preset, unplug the electric, plug in the acoustic, check tuning, then once I hit the PRESET button, the tuner mute immediately bypasses before I can switch to the next preset and I get a howling feedback. Even with the strings muted as suggested above, the higher gain setting is enough to make the acoustic guitar's resonant cavity feed back.

I've tried to come up with a solution, but nothing yet so I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has found a way to achieve this.

Thanks.

Try this...

1) Map the bypass function of your Input Block (in each preset) to External #1 (or some other number if that is already used).
2) Map External #1 to a switch on the FM3/FM9/FC-6/FC-12 or any external switch.

This will provide a mute function which still feeds the tuner, but nothing else. Use the footswitch to enable this mute function, swap instruments/tune/change presets, and then use footswitch to disable the mute.

Edit - Another option is to add the Input 1 bypass function to the Perform-Gbl page and use one of the five knobs/encoders to engage/disengage the mute.

I tried it with my AxeFX3 and an external switch connected to it (I don't have an FC-6/12 but I think you should have no problem mapping the External switch to one of the footswitches (e.g. perform layout, switch #3).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Try this...

1) Map the bypass function of your Input Block (in each preset) to External #1 (or some other number if that is already used).
2) Map External #1 to a switch on the FM3/FM9/FC-6/FC-12 or any external switch.

This will provide a mute function which still feeds the tuner, but nothing else. Use the footswitch to enable this mute function, swap instruments/tune/change presets, and then use footswitch to disable the mute.

I tried it with my AxeFX3 and an external switch connected to it (I don't have an FC-6/12 but I think you should have no problem mapping the External switch to one of the footswitches (e.g. perform layout, switch #3).
Or, in a pinch, just turn down the volume of your acoustic before you unplug it. No feedback. :)

Back
Top Bottom