Bug? permanent hiss and no guitar sound at switching on (FW 5.00)

Sauro_on_guitar

Inspired
Vendor
After the sound check I switched off the FM9 and then after a couple of hours I switched on again for the show. I had a permanent hiss on my out 2 (I connected my iem on out2) and no guitar sound both on out2 and out1 (P.A.).
I had to do switch off and then on on the unit and then FM9 worked good for all the gig.
No signal went to the P.A. mixing desk, no signal went to the IEM transmitter. I solve only by switching off and the on again.

I am using the internal clock, and connect my interface via S/PDIF. FM9 is master-clock. In addition to the hiss, I heard a signal coming out.

After the sound check I switched off the FM9 and then after a couple of hours I switched on again for the show. I had a permanent hiss on my out 2 (I connected my iem on out2) and no guitar sound both on out2 and out1 (P.A.).
I had to do switch off and then on on the unit and then FM9 worked good for all the gig.
No signal went to the P.A. mixing desk, no signal went to the IEM transmitter. I solve only by switching off and the on again.

Something similar happened to me tonight. I got no sound out of the unit until I switched it off and on again. It never happened before the 5.00 firmware update.

Happened to me today too. No sound until reboot.
It has happened to me only once (so far) and only after firmware 5.00. I suspect that a small bug is causing a problem when the software is being loaded.
Questions to you all: do you know what preset was active when the problem appeared? Where you connected to a computer? Was the computer on?

I just had this happen today. Rebooted and the sound was back but one of the foot switches didn’t work. Rebooted again and all was fine. Never had this happen in prior versions.

Today I experienced the issue again (firmware 6.00). I hear no hiss. I just boot the FM9 and it stays silent. I see on the led display that signal is coming in from the guitar but I hear nothing. I rebooted the unit and it started working again as normal. This has happened to me twice now, so it's hardly a frequent phenomenon, but still annoying.

Today I experienced the issue again (firmware 6.00). I hear no hiss. I just boot the FM9 and it stays silent. I see on the led display that signal is coming in from the guitar but I hear nothing. I rebooted the unit and it started working again as normal. This has happened to me twice now, so it's hardly a frequent phenomenon, but still annoying.
The next time it happens, go to Layout > Meters and find out where in the chain your signal is dying.

The next time it happens, go to Layout > Meters and find out where in the chain your signal is dying.
Thanks! I will (if I’ll remember: it has so far happened only twice over several months).

Last edited:
I have experienced a very similar problem, on FW6, USB Audio Driver 5.30, 5.58 & 5.68p, detailed here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-audio-driver-update.202612/

To summarise I was getting nothing out of Output 1 on the unit, but if I switched the XLRs to Output 2 I got a continuous loud, "overloaded" noisy signal, which would be anything that would normally be played out through the unit output(s) but just incredibly loud and distorted. If you read the other post you'll get more of an insight into exactly what was happening. It's only happened once again since I raised the support ticket, and on that occasion Output 2 wasn't even in the Preset that was loaded, yet it was still producing this incredibly loud, noisy signal whilst Output 1 and Headphones were doing nothing. In my case the signal isn't getting "lost" in the chain anywhere, because Output 2 isn't in the chain, nor has it ever been. Something is getting screwed in the internal routing at switch on for whatever reason.

My initial thought was that it was a USB related problem because in my case I only started seeing it after updating the USB driver to the latest version. Uninstalling the USB driver and re-installing the previous version(s), didn't fix it. Now that I've read something similar has happened to people with devices running FW5 as well, I'm starting to wonder if this is a problem that has been around for a while, but which is only triggered by a specific set of (fairly rare) circumstances.

I can fix it with a reboot, but it puts me on edge, wondering why it's happening and when it's going to happen next. I'm now actually hoping it will happen again soon, so that I can help to resolve it :laughing:

Now that I've read something similar has happened to people with devices running FW5 as well, I'm starting to wonder if this is a problem that has been around for a while, but which is only triggered by a specific set of (fairly rare) circumstances.
That would be my guess as well. When it happened yesterday, it started with a new preset I created during the previous session. I wonder is that has anything to do with it?

That would be my guess as well. When it happened yesterday, it started with a new preset I created during the previous session. I wonder is that has anything to do with it?
Could be... trying to remember what I'd been doing prior to it happening... It was definitely a new Preset on one occasion, because it was one I'd downloaded from John Cordy's channel. Can't remember about the other occasions. I'm going to test it again with a new Preset now.

Just putting this out there, because it occurred to me we could maybe play 20 questions with this ... :laughing:

Has this ever occurred (to anyone) when USB is NOT connected?

Back
Top Bottom