Wish Performance Page: Auto Save

gberto

Inspired
Performance pages are so great for quick tweaking in a live setting. But once you've made that quick tweak, you still have to push the SAVE button and then push ENTER twice to save the changes you made, otherwise you lose them.

In some live environments we're switching presets often and quickly and it's too tedious and time consuming to have to manually save after making our tweaks.
This limits the usefulness of these pages in a performance setting, where they are intended to be the most useful.

It would be really great if there was an option to have changes made from the Performance Pages automatically save. Just like the existing "volume + 1 and save" action.

That would make them so much more useful in a performance setting!

let's say this existed, and generally you like having it save after a change.

but what if you make a mistake, put the wrong value, and it saves. would that be ok?

It takes a second or so to save, even with "vol +1 and save." I'm not sure I'd want to have to wait for that every time I turn a knob. I'd rather dial in the sound I want, and then save. Then I only have to wait once. :)

It takes a second or so to save, even with "vol +1 and save." I'm not sure I'd want to have to wait for that every time I turn a knob. I'd rather dial in the sound I want, and then save. Then I only have to wait once. :)
yeah, currently the sound mutes for a bit when saving too, so i'd rather be in charge of that. i've gotten pretty fast at Save Enter Enter.

if this were an option, i'd like it, but i personally wouldn't want it to change to this behavior only. a lot of times i'll change the Perform knobs for a temporary change anyway, so i like that it goes away most of the time.

i can see the application for this. though a drawback i can see though is someone made some OTHER change without realizing it then adjusted a Perform Page, it saves, and then it's like what happened to the preset?

Last edited:
I can see the value in this, but also agree with @chris and @Rex - it creates a sound gap. Also, sometimes I tweak parameters for one song but don't want to keep them. I can hit S>E>E pretty quickly.

Maybe offering it as a Global option for people like OP who would want it?

A 'Save Now' button on the Perform screen would make it quicker than the save/enter/enter. Make it optional to opt-in via a system setting so current behavior is default?

Just curious, how often do people make and save edits to presets in a live situation? Maybe adjusting one of the global EQs for the room during a soundcheck. I would think that the presets themselves would be worked out at home and at rehearsals.

Seriously, just curious.:cool:

I can see the value in this, but also agree with @chris and @Rex - it creates a sound gap. Also, sometimes I tweak parameters for one song but don't want to keep them. I can hit S>E>E pretty quickly.
Yup. And it’s not just one sound gap, either. “Okay, I want more Delay. (Turns the knob a bit.) This much more? Dunno. I have to wait for the save to finish. Okay, now I can hear it again. Nope. I still need more. (Turns the knob a bit.) This much more? Dunno. Wait for the save to finish. Nope. Still need more. And so on...

Compare the to “just turn the knob until you like it. Then save if you want to. Done.

Yup. And it’s not just one sound gap, either. “Okay, I want more Delay. (Turns the knob a bit.) This much more? Dunno. I have to wait for the save to finish. Okay, now I can hear it again. Nope. I still need more. (Turns the knob a bit.) This much more? Dunno. Wait for the save to finish. Nope. Still need more. And so on...

Compare the to “just turn the knob until you like it. Then save if you want to. Done.
right. i think a further wish would then be "have Perform Pages save 5 seconds after making a change." but that's not a current feature i believe, so that'd have to bulit, tested, and implemented, probably using more CPU.

That's what I was thinking too.

let's say this existed, and generally you like having it save after a change.

but what if you make a mistake, put the wrong value, and it saves. would that be ok?

If it was an auto save, I don't think there would be any other alternative. But you could always just turn the knob again.

The thing is, these are really meant for those small things you might need to tweak in the middle of a performance, not for major editing of a preset. So I wouldn't see that as too big a problem considering their intended use.

Maybe offering it as a Global option for people like OP who would want it?

The sound gap would be a problem if there's no way to avoid it. I don't know if there is or not.

I think making it a global option would be important so it's opt-in for those who do want it.

The time it takes to press S>E>E can be an eternity in the midst of a performance.

A 'Save Now' button on the Perform screen would make it quicker than the save/enter/enter. Make it optional to opt-in via a system setting so current behavior is default?

I think that might be the ideal solution. Have one of the buttons on that screen be a quick save that just takes one click to perform.

Just curious, how often do people make and save edits to presets in a live situation? Maybe adjusting one of the global EQs for the room during a soundcheck. I would think that the presets themselves would be worked out at home and at rehearsals.

Seriously, just curious.:cool:

Well, regardless of how often you do it, they are called "Performance Pages" for a reason ;)

The purpose of the pages is to give quick access to the things you might need to tweak in the midst of a performance.

Are we debating the purpose of Performance Pages, or the need for a faster way to save during a performance?

A manual save would be fine, as long as it is quick to access. The current process of moving my hand over to the save button, pressing it, then moving down to the enter button and hitting it twice is very cumbersome and takes too much time and focus in the heat of a performance.

right. i think a further wish would then be "have Perform Pages save 5 seconds after making a change." but that's not a current feature i believe, so that'd have to bulit, tested, and implemented, probably using more CPU.

That would be another good possibility for how it could work.

Back
Top Bottom