Pedal controlling 2 blocks in 1 preset

RalphNYC

Inspired
Can I set up an expression pedal to control wah when wah is engaged and drive amount in a drive block whenever the wah is bypassed? I could use a programmable midi controller if necessary (mc6).

The issue is controlling the drive and wah independently, without controlling them together when both are engaged. Every way I think of seems awfully convoluted. @simeon has had some great controller ideas, so I hope he’ll comment here. I do think it can be done, though.

The MC6 can probably toggle between two pedal CC#s easily enough but here's another way.

If you assign a stopped triangle LFO's (pick any source as Run modifier that stays at "off") B output to drive, the wah bypass switch can put LFO depth at 0% while wah is on, which will keep the drive modifier at 50%. When wah is bypassed, LFO depth goes to 100%. Pedal as LFO B Phase modifier (assignable w/ FracPad) lets you sweep through any portion of the drive modifier then.

Here's a preset configured like that with pedal as Ext Ctrl 1 and switch as Ext Ctrl 2. LFO 2B is the drive source. Use scale/offset to get the drive modifier's midpoint at whatever value you want when wah is on. (Or try adjusting "mid" value, but the other way keeps the line straight.) Then adjust LFO B Phase min/max so the pedal sweeps the desired range with no dead zones. B Phase modifier can be accessed from Axe-Edit's Controllers: Modifiers menu once assigned. In this example the pedal will adjust drive from 3 to 8 with a fixed value around 6.5 when wah is on.

iEUPiHn.jpg

Attachments

• Wah drive ctrl.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
the question is, what's the drive block doing when you're using the wah? is it on? if it is, what's the drive level at? an easy solution would be to use scenes and have two drive blocks. on every scene where the wah is off, one drive block is on that you can modify. one scene is reserved for wah block on, where the modifiable drive block is turned off and an alternative drive block, set to the desired value is turned on.

Thanks I need to study this a bit to understand it. Will do that and give the file a try. Thanks very much.
The MC6 can probably toggle between two pedal CC#s easily enough but here's another way.

If you assign a stopped triangle LFO's (pick any source as Run modifier that stays at "off") B output to drive, the wah bypass switch can put LFO depth at 0% while wah is on, which will keep the drive modifier at 50%. When wah is bypassed, LFO depth goes to 100%. Pedal as LFO B Phase modifier (assignable w/ FracPad) lets you sweep through any portion of the drive modifier then.

Here's a preset configured like that with pedal as Ext Ctrl 1 and switch as Ext Ctrl 2. LFO 2B is the drive source. Use scale/offset to get the drive modifier's midpoint at whatever value you want when wah is on. (Or try adjusting "mid" value, but the other way keeps the line straight.) Then adjust LFO B Phase min/max so the pedal sweeps the desired range with no dead zones. B Phase modifier can be accessed from Axe-Edit's Controllers: Modifiers menu once assigned. In this example the pedal will adjust drive from 3 to 8 with a fixed value around 6.5 when wah is on.

iEUPiHn.jpg

Thanks this is one way to go. Basically alternating bypass states between a controllable wah and a controllable drive block.

Ideally I was looking to have a sort of priority mode - if wah is on then pedal controls it and drive in drive1 block stays at its current value, else pedal controls drive in drive1 block.

the question is, what's the drive block doing when you're using the wah? is it on? if it is, what's the drive level at? an easy solution would be to use scenes and have two drive blocks. on every scene where the wah is off, one drive block is on that you can modify. one scene is reserved for wah block on, where the modifiable drive block is turned off and an alternative drive block, set to the desired value is turned on.

Last edited:
I have an xp controlling multiple fx in a single preset and use scenes to determine what is being controlled.
In one of my presets
XP3: scenes 1, 2, 4, 5 is wah [wah active / chorus bypass]
XP3: scene 3 is chorus wah bypass / chorus active]

in your case, you'd have to bypass the amp to control the wah.. which is of course undesirable..
but there is another way...
place a Vol block [bypass=thru] in front of the amp.. the lower the Vol block level the lower the gain..
so for example..

Scene 1: wah = active / Vol = bypass
your wah will work, the amp gain remains constant

Scene 2: wah = bypass / Vol = active
your wah will be off, the amp gain can effectively be controlled via the Vol block level

Makes sense - that's a nice option. I can use another pedal if needed as well. I had a Kemper briefly and I seem to recall it doing something like: wah if on, else volume.

I have an xp controlling multiple fx in a single preset and use scenes to determine what is being controlled.
In one of my presets
XP3: scenes 1, 2, 4, 5 is wah [wah active / chorus bypass]
XP3: scene 3 is chorus wah bypass / chorus active]

in your case, you'd have to bypass the amp to control the wah.. which is of course undesirable..
but there is another way...
place a Vol block [bypass=thru] in front of the amp.. the lower the Vol block level the lower the gain..
so for example..

Scene 1: wah = active / Vol = bypass
your wah will work, the amp gain remains constant

Scene 2: wah = bypass / Vol = active
your wah will be off, the amp gain can effectively be controlled via the Vol block level

Last edited:
Makes sense - that's a nice option. I can use another pedal if needed as well. I had a Kemper briefly and I seem to recall it doing something like: wah if on, else volume.

one of the things you cannot do in the Axe is activate / deactivate modifiers on a per scene basis..
if you could it'd be a very powerful capability..
my presets are a bit nuts and I do require this sort of functionality, so I get around it..
not so much 'think outside the box' and more like 'think outside the block'..
in several presets I use low cpu blocks like Vol, GEQ and PEQ in parallel arrangements on the grid for this purpose..

example..
scene 1 XP1 morphs my riffing tone between a hi-gain and moderately clean tone
the hi-gain tone is dry and as it cleans, a reverb starts to strengthen
scene 5 is exactly the same but also has a delay and chorus fade in as the tone cleans..
the chorus is easy.. XP1 is assigned to it's mix parameter.. in scene1 the chorus is bypassed and scene5 it's active..
the delay is trickier though because it's also used on my soloing tone where I want the delay active and unchanged no matter what XP1 is doing...

for this I use a pair of vol blocks before the delay in parallel, bypass = mute
one does absolutely nothing.. has no modifier assigned
the other has a modifier assigned so that XP1 can fade the delay in as XP1 moves to the heel down position..

scene2: soloing tone: Vol1 [that does nothing] is active and Vol2 [that has the modifier applied to the level parameter] is bypassed..
I can use XP1 to morph the tone between hi and lo gain tones and the delay remains constant

scene5: alternate riffing tone: Vol1 [that does nothing] is bypassed and Vol2 [that has the modifier applied to the level parameter] is active..
I can use XP1 to morph the tone between hi and lo gain tones and the delay fades in as the tone cleans

the outcome is that I'm effectively using the Vol blocks as alternative input-gain controls.. creating a secondary input-gain if you will..
so from a performance perspective, I'm switching XP1's control over the signal entering delay on/off on a per scene basis..
now there's another benefit.... and it's pretty cool too..
given that I'm using the Vol blocks as an external input-gain for the delay, it means that the delay's own input-gain is not being used..
so..... I assign this to Scene Controller 1
this means that on a per scene basis I can set how strong the signal can be as it enters the delay itself..
scene2 solo has a moderate setting.. because I want a nice delay whilst I'm soloing but no so much that it's intrusive..
scene5 though is set far stronger because this is used in an ambient musical context.. so a ton of delay sounds very nice..

so why is all this revenant to your prob??
I'm trying to illustrate that in a single preset I have XP1 control a variety of different things per scene..
scene1: cleans the tone and adds reverb, delay and chorus are not present
scene2: cleans the tone but the reverb and delay remain constant, chorus is not present
scene5: cleans the tone and adds reverb, delay and chorus

basically I'm trying to show you a slightly different and less obvious approach to control that, with a little creative thinking, can enable the Axe to do things over and above the control capabilities that natively reside within a single block..

That’s great thank you for detailing that. I get the idea and the approach. Another thing I’ve learned is that the midi controller I use (Morningstar MC6) assigns the expression pedal cc# on a per-bank basis. So if I’m using that controller I can toggle what my pedal controls in a fixed preset on the AxeFx. This is another option that requires a bit more toe tapping but it’s an interesting approach.

one of the things you cannot do in the Axe is activate / deactivate modifiers on a per scene basis..
if you could it'd be a very powerful capability..
my presets are a bit nuts and I do require this sort of functionality, so I get around it..
not so much 'think outside the box' and more like 'think outside the block'..
in several presets I use low cpu blocks like Vol, GEQ and PEQ in parallel arrangements on the grid for this purpose..

example..
scene 1 XP1 morphs my riffing tone between a hi-gain and moderately clean tone
the hi-gain tone is dry and as it cleans, a reverb starts to strengthen
scene 5 is exactly the same but also has a delay and chorus fade in as the tone cleans..
the chorus is easy.. XP1 is assigned to it's mix parameter.. in scene1 the chorus is bypassed and scene5 it's active..
the delay is trickier though because it's also used on my soloing tone where I want the delay active and unchanged no matter what XP1 is doing...

for this I use a pair of vol blocks before the delay in parallel, bypass = mute
one does absolutely nothing.. has no modifier assigned
the other has a modifier assigned so that XP1 can fade the delay in as XP1 moves to the heel down position..

scene2: soloing tone: Vol1 [that does nothing] is active and Vol2 [that has the modifier applied to the level parameter] is bypassed..
I can use XP1 to morph the tone between hi and lo gain tones and the delay remains constant

scene5: alternate riffing tone: Vol1 [that does nothing] is bypassed and Vol2 [that has the modifier applied to the level parameter] is active..
I can use XP1 to morph the tone between hi and lo gain tones and the delay fades in as the tone cleans

the outcome is that I'm effectively using the Vol blocks as alternative input-gain controls.. creating a secondary input-gain if you will..
so from a performance perspective, I'm switching XP1's control over the signal entering delay on/off on a per scene basis..
now there's another benefit.... and it's pretty cool too..
given that I'm using the Vol blocks as an external input-gain for the delay, it means that the delay's own input-gain is not being used..
so..... I assign this to Scene Controller 1
this means that on a per scene basis I can set how strong the signal can be as it enters the delay itself..
scene2 solo has a moderate setting.. because I want a nice delay whilst I'm soloing but no so much that it's intrusive..
scene5 though is set far stronger because this is used in an ambient musical context.. so a ton of delay sounds very nice..

so why is all this revenant to your prob??
I'm trying to illustrate that in a single preset I have XP1 control a variety of different things per scene..
scene1: cleans the tone and adds reverb, delay and chorus are not present
scene2: cleans the tone but the reverb and delay remain constant, chorus is not present
scene5: cleans the tone and adds reverb, delay and chorus

basically I'm trying to show you a slightly different and less obvious approach to control that, with a little creative thinking, can enable the Axe to do things over and above the control capabilities that natively reside within a single block..

That’s great thank you for detailing that. I get the idea and the approach. Another thing I’ve learned is that the midi controller I use (Morningstar MC6) assigns the expression pedal cc# on a per-bank basis. So if I’m using that controller I can toggle what my pedal controls in a fixed preset on the AxeFx. This is another option that requires a bit more toe tapping but it’s an interesting approach.

yes you can.. I have the MFC set up the same way..
look on the Axe front panel: I/O / CTRL
you'll see that EXT CTRL 1 is set to MIDI CC# 16
EXT CTRL 1 equates to source Extern1 in the modifier config window in Axe Edit
so.... set your pedal to CC# 16

does all my rambling make some sort of sense??

Yes I've got it set to cc#16 right now for EXT CTRL 1 and I have that modifying my WAH block. I could set up an identical bank on the MC6 (I typically put 6 effects on a bank, some are x/y states some are on/off), but with the pedal now controlling cc#17 which is the default for EXT CTRL 2 and control the DRIVE block with that. Not sure how it'll behave but worth checking out. This would effectively allow me to use 1 button to switch between a WAH pedal and a DRIVE or VOLUME pedal (as long as cc#16 doesn't do anything funny when I switch over to send out cc#17 messages)

yes you can.. I have the MFC set up the same way..
look on the Axe front panel: I/O / CTRL
you'll see that EXT CTRL 1 is set to MIDI CC# 16
EXT CTRL 1 equates to source Extern1 in the modifier config window in Axe Edit
so.... set your pedal to CC# 16

does all my rambling make some sort of sense??

Interesting reading. This sort of control is more complex than it appears to be at first glance.

Interesting reading. This sort of control is more complex than it appears to be at first glance.
I actually think it's the other way around..
it's more complex to describe than it is to set up..

If took the volumes I've written about real-time control and tone morphing and stuck it all in a single written body of work I reckon it'd look horrific...
sit next to me for a while and have me show you rather than write about it and I'm thinking you'll be like "is that it??? cool"..

the other thing to consider is that I didn't sit down and design and build every single capability in my presets in a single pass...
you design and build the preset in layers.. adding each capability one by one..
how do I know what I want to add???
I start with a basic preset idea.. build it...
then play the band's live set.. at some point something may occur to me..
like "wouldn't live performance experience be so much easier if the Axe could do xyz too.."
or "wouldn't the tone or tone transition be so much cooler sounding if the Axe could do abc too.."
then I set about trying to figure out how to make it happen and then add it in..
my presets have taken years to get where they are functionally..
this also includes when FAS introduce some new capability to exploit..
like scenes... then scene controllers..
as in.. "this new thing is interesting.. how could I exploit it to make my life on stage easier or make my preset more efficient / reduce cpu?"
and so it all evolves over time

Last edited:
Yes I've got it set to cc#16 right now for EXT CTRL 1 and I have that modifying my WAH block. I could set up an identical bank on the MC6 (I typically put 6 effects on a bank, some are x/y states some are on/off), but with the pedal now controlling cc#17 which is the default for EXT CTRL 2 and control the DRIVE block with that. Not sure how it'll behave but worth checking out. This would effectively allow me to use 1 button to switch between a WAH pedal and a DRIVE or VOLUME pedal (as long as cc#16 doesn't do anything funny when I switch over to send out cc#17 messages)
I don't know your controller's capabilities...
but if you can make an XP switch to other CC values.. you'll simply start controlling something else..
if it can spit out two different CC's simultaneously, it'll control what ever is assigned to both of those modifier sources..

I use 4 XP's.. from my config
XP1: input level [CC 10]
XP2: EXT CTRL 3 [CC 18] <- delay in some scenes, chorus in others, delay and chorus in another in some presets
XP3: EXT CTRL 2 [CC 17] <- wah in some scenes, phaser in others
XP4: EXT CTRL 1 [CC 16] <- tone morphing
yes they are back to front.. this is because of the length of the cables connecting the MFC to the pedals.. the furthest MFC jack socket connects to the pedal that is closest to the MFC..
why assign fx to XP's? personal choice.. I prefer the sound of fx fading in rather than switching in.. it's smoother..
and if you need them in / out like you're switching them.. just stomp on the toe or heel of the XP and it'll happen fast..
but it'll still happen smooth.. and I use scenes to determine which single or multiple fx are actively controlled by a specific XP

I think the whole controller/modifier aspect of the AxeFx is sort of mind bending. There are so many possibilities. Envelopes for pick attack, 2 separate LFOs, attack/release curves, and who uses the sequencer to control stuff? Then of course pedals and switches. This is my mf6 and little exp predal. I’ve got the looper set up on the next bank.
4B9DC687-123A-47F8-821E-7C6009CE3A9B.jpeg

I think the whole controller/modifier aspect of the AxeFx is sort of mind bending. There are so many possibilities. Envelopes for pick attack, 2 separate LFOs, attack/release curves, and who uses the sequencer to control stuff? Then of course pedals and switches. This is my mf6 and little exp predal. I’ve got the looper set up on the next bank.
View attachment 45227
interesting...
maybe assign D, E and F to scenes 1, 2 and 3, leave the XP to CC16 and then let the Axe do all the heavy lifting control wise..

yes there are a lot of controller types.. some of them can make the Axe do crazy stuff too..
I mostly only use the Externals and the two Scene Controllers
my config is all about making my life on stage easy and seamless

I have yet to download this preset. Does the pedal in this setup control wah when wah is on (and drive is at the fixed value)?

iEUPiHn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom