Pedal Calibration Hell with FC6 with Video

MKeditor

Experienced
I've been using the same Mission Engineering EP-1 & SP1-LP pedals for many years with several different controllers. My main controller is an RJM MM GT16. But I'm trying an FC6. I can't get the pedals to calibrate properly. Take a look at the video and let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Last edited:
I've been using the same Mission Engineering pedals for many years with several different controllers. My main controller is an RJM MM GT16. But I'm trying an FC6. I can't get the pedals to calibrate properly. Take a look at the video and let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

I know there was another thread you were asking about this issue.

One point raised there was about different pedal polarities for different hardware such as RJM, LF, etc.

Do you know the specific models of your Mission pedals?

I believe @mr_fender provided some information in the other thread.

I’d have to pull out a voltmeter but I believe you need to swap tip & ring on one side of the cable or jack on pedal if it was working fine with rjm previously

I know there was another thread you were asking about this issue.

One point raised there was about different pedal polarities for different hardware such as RJM, LF, etc.

Do you know the specific models of your Mission pedals?

I believe @mr_fender provided some information in the other thread.
The other post focused on the volume block. I was able to change the tapper in the block to make it workable. It's also under the FC forum. The pedals are EP-1 & SP1-LP.

I’d have to pull out a voltmeter but I believe you need to swap tip & ring on one side of the cable or jack on pedal if it was working fine with rjm previously
It sounds like the most reasonable cause. But I used these pedals with the MFC. Did that use a different configuration? But I'll give it a try. What should I look for on the meter?
1000024182.jpg
1000024179.jpg

Last edited:
I flipped tip/ring in the cable rather than pedal

If you want to swap in pedal it's the red/black wires on whichever is for the expression pedal

Attachments

• IMG_8174.jpeg
    IMG_8174.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8176.jpeg
    IMG_8176.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Switching red and black rendered the pedal unusable.
Switching red and green produced a smooth transition from 0-100%. But it was backwards. All the way back was 100%. All the way forward was 0%.

My hope is that all this will be helpful to the next guy in this situation.

I'll be grateful if a powerful wizard will take pity on me and reveal what's eluding me.

Switching red and green produced a smooth transition from 0-100%. But it was backwards. All the way back was 100%. All the way forward was 0%.

I'll be grateful if a powerful wizard will take pity on me and reveal what's eluding me.
Now you just need to swap tip and sleeve. I can't tell from the pictures which wires those are.

Now you just need to swap tip and sleeve. I can't tell from the pictures which wires those are.
Thank you for responding. I tried swapping the top and the sleeve. Moving the pedal barely worked.

The best combination is what it was before.
Tip = green
Ring = red
Sleeve = black

This has been a Chinese fire drill. Fractal just doesn't like Mission's pot. I appreciate everyone who tried to help.

The volume block has a taper setting. I was able to use a taper of 5A to even out the range. I don't see that for other control functions like input gain or mix for time based effects. Why only the volume block?

Fractal just doesn't like Mission's pot. I appreciate everyone who tried to help.
It's just a 10k linear pot. There's nothing special there aside from wiring...

I've used many Mission pedals for years with Fractal, both with Axe Fx II + MFC-101, Axe Fx III + FC-12, FM9, FM3.

They have all worked without issue.

If I was home I would take a gut shot of one of my pedals to show the wiring, but I'm out of town until the end of the week.

Maybe somebody else could help with that in the meantime?

You need to swap the Ring and Sleeve if it's working but in the wrong direction.

I felt like I had tried every combination already. But I took off all three wires and used test leads with alligator clips and discovered that
Tip = Green
Ring = red
Sleeve = black
solved the problem. It seems like that was the first option I tried that made the pedal work in reverse. But I'll chalk it up to user error.

Thanks again.

I have three old Mission Exp pedals (bought during my MFC days) all working fine in any of my current gen Fractal gear fwiw. I prefer the Fractals ex pedals now on the live rig for volume and mix, but always keep the mission spring loaded as my full time wah. Maybe you have a bad component or wire?

Back
Top Bottom